SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > which should I read first?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) | 10 comments This week I have bought six books for less than a pound from Amazon. They are BittenDesolation Road[[book:A Court of Thorns and Roses|16096824]ScarletFuriously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible ThingsThe Bone Ritual[ and [book:The Name of the Wind|186074]
No sorry, that's seven . What do people suggest I read first. I've just finished the first Mistborn and am on a high, I need to keep it going . Any thoughts?

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) | 10 comments sorry I seem to have made a mess of the list by using the add book but I'm sure you can work out what I intended :)

message 3: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments The Name of the Wind is wonderful

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) | 10 comments Corinne wrote: "The name of the wind is an incomplete series if that would drive you crazy, don’t pick that one. There are mysteries and questions you’ll want answers to :/"
Is it permanently incomplete Corinne or are we waiting for the next one ?

message 5: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments book 2 has been published, but the publication date for book three is on the same schedule for the next book from George R.R. Martin (Game of Thrones).

Rothfuss Book 2 = March 2011
Martin last book = July 2011

I didn't find reading book one w/o the next book in the series to be seriously bothering,but that's my opinion.

message 6: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon (last edited Jul 07, 2018 03:45PM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Those books are all so different, I'd say it would depend on your mood.

That said, i really liked the Lunar Chronicles, personally, and find NotW overrated.

Haven't read any of the others.

message 7: by Wayne (new)

Wayne | 1 comments Warbreaker ( not on your list I know 🙄) is a good little read before setting off into a full on series again

message 8: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) | 10 comments Wayne wrote: "Warbreaker ( not on your list I know 🙄) is a good little read before setting off into a full on series again"
Thanks for the tip Wayne -I'll check that out :)

message 9: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Name of the Wind was lovely but it's a commitment, both for the individual book and to the series (WRITE FASTER, PATRICK!)

Court of Thorns and Roses is a folk tale retelling that grated on me, personally, but is a well loved YA/NA romance fairy tale type story.

I loved Furiously Happy, it's profound and serious but also gleeful and whimsical. It's basically a collection of short stories, though, which I'm not always in the mood for.

I feel like post-Mistborn, NotW would be best in tone of the three I know, and the others would be a palate cleanser.

message 10: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) | 10 comments Allison wrote: "Name of the Wind was lovely but it's a commitment, both for the individual book and to the series (WRITE FASTER, PATRICK!)

Court of Thorns and Roses is a folk tale retelling that grated on me, pe..."

Thankyou Allison for your very thoughtful answer . It's looking like NoW is a good choice , maybe I'll start Furiously happy at the same time

message 11: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
I can't wait to hear what you think of whatever you pick!

message 12: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) | 10 comments I'll definitely let you know :)

message 13: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments I just really love the cover of Furiously Happy 😆