SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

All About Goodreads > New Android app

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
First thought was "yay! New app! " second thought was "omg it reveals everything in spoiler tags". Third thought was "and plays 52 card pick up with our discussion organization. "

Oh, goodreads. All we do is love you and yet you hurt us so.

message 2: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
I just posted this in the series thread in the feedback group yesterday, because I'm still so angry about how they mess everything up. Sounds like the Android app isn't much better.

The wall is my screen, the TP is the tiny strip of GR content

The devs hard at work improving the user experience

message 3: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

BTW the iOS app isn't updated, so don't get your hopes up!

message 4: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

LMAO

message 5: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments As I already said in the Feedback group, the new app really ruins the group experience since you can no longer see the 'last updated unread' threads. If you open a group, click discussion then the ones showing up are some random old threads. It does not even have a folder option so you have to click many times to find out whether the threads you want to see have new posts or not.

This is even more annoying than the old app with its no spoiler visible thing.

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Also, reviews with spoilers in them will be automatically tagged as spoiler so you can't see the whole thing. I rarely use spoiler tags in mine but I can see why some people are annoyed with this.

message 7: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

So true, Silvana. You have to go off notifications or participation in-app be damned. I am presently in a state of anxiety thinking how many spoiler comments are appropriately tagged in general chat threads that will now just totally spill their guts for app users.

Basically if you're allergic to spoilers, you can't use the app at all. And if you want to quick chat but have turned off notifications, you're boned. Why!

message 8: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Wait, you mean that the text inside the spoiler tags is visible by default? Why would they do that?!

message 9: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Anna wrote: "Wait, you mean that the text inside the spoiler tags is visible by default? Why would they do that?!"

I honestly have no clue. I guess some men just want to watch the world burn.

message 10: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments That is strange since the spoilers are not visible to me, I have to click them as I do in desktop/mobile to open the spoilers.

I have two Android phones so I decided not to update the secondary one to the new version.

message 11: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Silvana wrote: "That is strange since the spoilers are not visible to me, I have to click them as I do in desktop/mobile to open the spoilers.

I have two Android phones so I decided not to update the secondary o..."

You can click them?? Just in reviews on in threads?

message 12: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Both. In reviews, the content is all spoiler tagged and clickable.

Maybe try uninstall and reinstall?

message 13: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Jul 07, 2018 08:09AM) (new)

This is what I see when I go to threads with spoiler tags:

description

message 14: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

No clicking. That's just how it appears. Can't close it.

message 15: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jul 07, 2018 08:14AM) (new)

Allison, I'd report that to GR with your OS version.

message 16: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Then again, GR recently changed the series page in a way that shows spoilers, so why wouldn't they spoil things for you everywhere else, too? It makes perfect GR sense, which is usually the exact opposite of actual sense.

message 17: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments what's a series page?

message 18: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

When you have a book page open (desktop version), and it's part of a series, you can click the series name to go to the series page. I don't know if the app or mobile have that.

message 19: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments The app has it, both old and new versions. Strange that the desktop version has spoilers in it, since the app just shows list of works.

message 20: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

They changed it about a month ago I think, the new one is simply horrible. The first few words of blurbs are shown, and often the second and later books start with something like "Now that X is dead..." or "After blowing up Z..."

message 21: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments I see. Why on earth they make it like that? :(

Allison, I finally found a spoiler that is visible for me with nothing to click. It is my own post in another group. Lucky it was an old BR and not too revealing, but still....