Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > I'm newer to the art scene...Keith Haring

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jul 06, 2018 11:30PM) (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Quote by artist: " "In all my work there is some degree of content that is more obvious, communicating a specific or a general idea that people will get. But a lot of times the work is ambiguous enough that it can be interpreted by whoever."

_________employed bright and artificial colors, and kept imagery accessible in order to grab the eyes and minds of viewers and get them both to enjoy themselves and to engage with important concerns.

___... imagery... provided poignant and cutting cultural commentary on issues including AIDS, drug addiction, illicit love, and apartheid.

Both an artist and an activist

In ___own words: "One day, riding the subway, I saw this empty black panel where an advertisement was supposed to go. I immediately realized that this was the perfect place to draw. I went back above ground to a card shop and bought a box of white chalk, went back down and did a drawing on it. It was perfect-soft black paper; chalk drew on it really easily."

These drawings about life, love, sex and death became conversation starters for New York's subway riders.

"I was always totally amazed that the people I would meet while I was doing them were really, really concerned with what they meant. The first thing anyone asked me, no matter how old, no matter who they were, was what does it mean?" ___ credited the immediate and continuing feedback of these encounters with helping ___ channel ___stylistic choices.

Throughout the 19__s ___ produced dozens of murals and public works all over the world, including in Europe, South America, and Australia. Through ___ travels, ___ saw the art of ancient cultures up-close, such as the Maya of Central America, Bahia-Brazil's peoples of mixed African and native descent, and the Aboriginal people of Australia, all of which had a lasting influence on ___ artwork.

_______ was prolific in creating artwork right up to ___ death ...at only 31 years old.

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1959 comments Keith Haring?

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Ruth wrote: "Keith Haring?"

Wow, Ruth! Right away, not even 24 hours since I posted that! You are awesome! Good job!

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1959 comments It was the chalk drawing in the subway that gave it away.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments I thought that would, I debated on posting that fact...