Book Snails Book Group discussion

ARCHIVED > July 2018 BOTM: "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by StarMan (last edited Jul 06, 2018 03:47PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Winning the 3-way tie with 44% of the votes is a science fiction/fantasy/dystopia title:

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline, rated ~4.29 stars on GR.

Here are a few of the many book covers:

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline

SYNOPSIS:   "In the year 2045, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape."

TIP: the first 35 pages are available for free on GR; look for the 'Read Excerpt' link on the book page, or try direct link: http://www.goodreads.com/reader/23045...

► If you plan to read READY PLAYER ONE with us this month, or have already read it, feel free to comment below. No BIG spoilers, please -- or hide 'em with spoiler tags. For help with tags, click (some html is ok) above your comment window.

This book has also been made into a movie.

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 824 comments Mod
I read it a couple months ago and really enjoyed it!
Happy reading!

message 3: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments I've been a bad boy. I watched the movie first.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 15 comments I read it in May and loved it! I also saw the movie!

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin | 824 comments Mod
Angela, how did you like the movie after first reading the book? I’m interested to see the movie but wonder if it’s worth it.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 15 comments Erin wrote: "Angela, how did you like the movie after first reading the book? I’m interested to see the movie but wonder if it’s worth it."

The movie was pretty good. I think the book is better though. They didn't really follow the clues that were in the book. There were a lot of different references that I was able to catch though.

storytimesaddness | 9 comments I liked both the movie and the book even though they changed alot of stuff in the movie.

message 8: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments I've heard from others that the movie compressed everything (of course), and left out some of the fun stuff (details on the puzzles, some of the many 80s references etc).. and pretty much Hollywooded the whole thing.

But most people say the special effects (CGI) were great, and it was a decent if not faithful adaptation. Coulda been a lot worse!

I've not finished the book. I'm wondering if the book and film end exactly the same.

message 9: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
I still want to see the movie. Even if it’s not as good as the book. Lol! I loved the book. I thought I was going to hate it when I read it but it turned out to be pretty good.

message 10: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments It was fun in the movie to finally see the people behind the avatars (besides Wade, whom we met early, of course).

Does anyone have a favorite character from the book?