When Dimple Met Rishi (Dimple and Rishi, #1) When Dimple Met Rishi discussion

Good Books with Problematic Premises

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

R.J. Hi, everybody!

DISCLAIMER: this question is not technically about When Dimple Met Rishi, but other books like it. END DISCLAIMER.

I recently had an idea for a story, but as I started to write out the idea, I realized it could potentially be VERY problematic if not handled exactly right. So, I'm curious... have you read any books that have this issue, but that were handled exactly right?

I know this is a weird/hard question, but WDMR is the closest thing to a perfect example that I've found so far. The whole one-sided arranged-marriage thing is... questionable, at best, but it all works out so well! And you don't even think too much about it being questionable because it works so well, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

After sharing my story premise with a friend, she suggested Love, Life, and the List; I haven't read that one yet, but it might give you a better idea of what we're working with here. Another friend, when I mentioned Love, Life, and the List, added Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit which I also have not read (yet).

Any other ideas?

message 2: by Gerd (last edited Aug 12, 2018 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gerd Well, "When Dimple met" works out because technically it is only at its surface what we would consider an "arranged marriage".

Yes they are shipped by their parents, but either one has the option to say no to this arrangment, there's not pressure behind it, real, economic or cultural. Nor is it a marriage of convenience, where they only get together in order to profit from each other - e.g. for money, for status...

To add, as the title already suggests, it's more of a Hollywood RomCom.