The Return of the Native The Return of the Native discussion

Which Thomas Hardy book to start with?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by George (new) - added it

George I've never really read Thomas Hardy and I would like to give him a try, but I'm wary of being put off by the wrong book. Which is the best of his works, or rather the best introduction for someone new to his writing?

I tried to read The Return of the Native as a teenager when I was at school, but I just could not get through it. My mother is a huge Hardy fan and has repeatedly told me to try again. I just don't know which book to start with; some say Under the Greenwood Tree as it's the least 'heavy' of his novels, but then many Hardy fans seem to dislike it precisely because it's so unlike the rest of his work.

Some recommendations would be most welcome!

cb Start again with any of them, but with a good audio version. I started with Tess of the d'Urbervilles on a road trip. After that I was hooked and have since read all his novels and listened to those available as audio books.

Babs charles hudson wrote: "Start again with any of them, but with a good audio version. I started with Tess of the d'Urbervilles on a road trip. After that I was hooked and have since read all his novels and listened to thos..."

Tess of the d'Urbervilles is my favorite and my recommend too, although not for the faint of heart.