Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Introduction/Group Admin > Introduction the A-Z way

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jul 05, 2018 06:20PM) (new)

Lisa P | 1996 comments Mod
We'd like to get to know you better! If you're feeling a little daring or just want to have some fun...please answer the following A-Z questions about yourself:

A - Airplane destination you last flew to:
B - Book you would recommend to all your friends:
C - Chore you hate:
D - Dessert you love:
E - Essential “must pack” vacation item (other than books):
F - Favorite type of music:
G - Games you like to play:
H - Hobbies:
I - Instruments you play:
J - Job you have/wish you had:
K - Key cooking item/ingredient you can’t live without:
L - Last great meal you ate:
M - Most overused word/phrase in your vocabulary:
N - Nicknames:
O - One “must watch” television show:
P - Pet Peeve:
Q - Question you hate to be asked:
R - Recent movie you enjoyed:
S - Share something you would like us to know about you:
T - Team you cheer for:
U - Usually read where/when:
V - Vegetable you hate:
W - Weather you love:
X - X-ray vision and/or other superpowers you would like to have:
Y - Yet to happen bucket list item:
Z - Zodiac Sign:

message 2: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Aug 26, 2018 09:40AM) (new)

I will start it off...

A - Airplane destination you last flew to: Palm Springs to visit family
B - Book you would recommend to all your friends: I find myself recommending “Ready Player One” a lot even though it’s not for everyone.
C - Chore you hate: All of them...um, they're called chores for a reason
D - Dessert you love: Anything chocolate
E - Essential “must pack” vacation item (other than books): Sunscreen…I burn easily
F - Favorite type of music: I have an eclectic mix of favorites…not too big on country though
G - Games you like to play: I love puzzles of any kind
H - Hobbies: reading, knitting, and going to the gym I do frequently…those I wish I could do more often are fishing and kayak/canoeing
I - Instruments you play: learned the flute and piano as a kid, but can’t play either anymore (chopsticks maybe)
J - Job you have/wish you had: Office Administration, but my dream job would include being outside on/near the ocean
K - Key cooking item/ingredient you can’t live without: limes and cilantro
L - Last great meal you ate: Last night had steaks off the grill…delicious
M - Most overused word/phrase in your vocabulary: No Daisy…(Daisy is my 2 year old puppy)
N - Nicknames: None thank goodness…not much you can do with Lisa
O - One “must watch” television show: So many to choose from but I will say “Firefly”
P - Pet Peeve: Noisy chewers
Q - Question you hate to be asked: How are you?...seems so generic
R - Recent movie you enjoyed: “Ready Player One” and “Solo”
S - Share something you would like us to know about you: I love the ocean and hope to live right on it someday
T - Team you cheer for: Any team my boys are playing on…don’t follow professional anything
U - Usually read where/when: At night before bed or first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee on my days off
V - Vegetable you hate: I love all vegetables
W - Weather you love: sunshine and 80 degrees
X - X-ray vision and/or other superpowers you would like to have: flying would be soooo cool
Y – Yet to happen bucket list item: Spend at least a week in New York seeing broadway shows
Z - Zodiac Sign: cancer (yes I can get crabby sometimes)

message 3: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments A - Airplane destination you last flew to: Florida; Disney, but this time we are going to take a road trip to see how that goes.

B - Book you would recommend to all your friends: Fireman by Joe Hill, which is a post-apocalyptic novel. I found the story direct to the point and was written to keep you interested in what was on the horizon. The concept was passable on the “what if” factor even though may not see how this could happen. Kind of like Fahrenheit 451[passable on the “what if” factor].

C - Chore you hate: Too many to list, but will do since chores must get done.

D - Dessert you love: Too many to list, but my go to…. Oreo cookies and a glass of milk

E - Essential “must pack” vacation item (other than books): I must have my personal grooming leather pack.

F - Favorite type of music: Old time rock and roll…. Just take those old records off the shelf
I'll sit and listen to 'em by myself…Today's music ain't got the same soul….I like that old-time rock 'n' roll

G - Games you like to play: any kind of card games with a standard 52 deck.

H - Hobbies: reading, working out, bowling, which my high game is 298, fishing, which my prize trout is 22.5 inches and a little less than 3 pounds, and finally but not last hand carving walking sticks and canes.

I - Instruments you play: None.

J - Job you have/wish you had: I have something I like in a hospital...but None that I wish I had; since a job wouldn’t be called work…

K - Key cooking item/ingredient you can’t live without: Hot Sauce

L - Last great meal you ate: Shrimp vegies and rice with hot Sause, or taco pie with Hot Sauce.

M - Most overused word/phrase in your vocabulary: I’m just saying or SSDD

N - Nicknames: Taco

O - One “must watch” television show: Criminal Minds

P - Pet Peeve: People that call out sick when they are not sick.

Q - Question you hate to be asked: Why are you wearing that?

R - Recent movie you enjoyed: Anything with the ROCK.

S - Share something you would like us to know about you: I’m really weird

T - Team you cheer for: NY Giants

U - Usually read where/when: Everywhere I go since I always have my book

V - Vegetable you hate: Beets

W - Weather you love: Autumn

X - X-ray vision and/or other superpowers you would like to have: The power to transform myself into a women to see how I would feel and if I would feel differently about stuff. A different perspective is always a good thing.

Y - Yet to happen bucket list item: Jump out of an aircraft.

Z - Zodiac Sign: Gemini

message 4: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Sep 17, 2018 05:46PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2914 comments Mod
Oooookay...I'll try to do this:

A - Airplane destination you last flew to: Fort Meade, Maryland, I haven't flown since I was in the Army.

B - Book you would recommend to all your friends:The Deed of Paksenarrion (well other than the Bible and other contrversial reads like that). Ever since I read The Deed of Paksenarrion (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1-3) by Elizabeth Moon I've been recommending it (and sometimes giving it as a gift).

C - Chore you hate: As has been said, all of them I suppose. I guess if I need to choose 1 it would be doing the dishes, yes still by hand.

D - Dessert you love: I'm rather boring. I find the my favorite desserts are either white coconut cake with vanilla ice cream...or cherry pie with vanilla ice cream. I'm easy.

E - Essential “must pack” vacation item (other than books): Other than books I'm not sure. Do audio books count? I guess clean underwear...?

F - Favorite type of music: So many. I love lots of musical genres but I suppose I have to put Doo Wop ahead of the others. Yeah I know but I love Doo Wop.

G - Games you like to play: I like board games and sometimes play them with "church folk". On a weekly basis I get together with a group and play 1st/2nd edition Dungeons and Dragons. I also like RPG computer games.

H - Hobbies: (Reading of course.) Well I used to have more. Right now I do leather work and I've begun doing custom knife handles. I also enjoy target shooting, camping and archery but haven't been physically up to those in some time.

I - Instruments you play: ...the radio.

J - Job you have/wish you had: Independently wealthy philanthropist...

K - Key cooking item/ingredient you can’t live without: The Cajun trilogy (onion, bell pepper and celery).

L - Last great meal you ate: Steak...a good sirloin steak. As noted I'm easy and have simple tastes.

M - Most overused word/phrase in your vocabulary: "Interesting". I use it here all the time. I often open reviews with "This is an interesting book".

N - Nicknames: Mike. That's about it. They used to call me Sensei in a group here as I often answered questions... but then that could also lead to being called a "know it all" I suppose.

O - One “must watch” television show: Forged in Fire.

P - Pet Peeve: Invincible Ignorance.

Q - Question you hate to be asked: No specific question, just insincere ones, questions placed to elicit some emotional or misleading response.

R - Recent movie you enjoyed: ...I don't know, some action movie. Marvel, Jack Reacher, something like that.

S - Share something you would like us to know about you: I like books? Well, I suppose that I'm a Christian and that so many of peoples preconceptions about Christians are incorrect.

T - Team you cheer for: Not really any. I'm not so much into team sports. I would have said The Tennessee Titans but since the kneeling during the National Anthem has started I'v dropped anything to do with the NFL.

U - Usually read where/when: During the day when not busy. When working on a hobby or driving I often listen to audio books. I take books with me most places so if I end up waiting I read. I tend to read in my desk chair if I'm home. I have read after going to bed but find it keeps me awake...all night.

V - Vegetable you hate: Okra

W - Weather you love: warm, easy, steady rain

X - X-ray vision and/or other superpowers you would like to have: Some sort of time control. At least being able to pull out in sort of a bubble and act without being in the time line and then reentering when I'd done whatever. Like rescue someone who couldn't be saved because no one could get there, that sort of thing.

Y - Yet to happen bucket list item: A bucket list trip, back to places I grew up and to see people I haven't seen in many, many years.
Z - Zodiac Sign: Pisces

message 5: by Josen (new)

Josen (josens) | 12 comments This is a pretty cool and different introduction page so I'll give it a shot. :)

A - Airplane destination you last flew to: Seattle
B - Book you would recommend to all your friends: umm....too many? :) I Am Pilgrim (thriller); Children of the Dark or Bird Box (horror); The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (syfy); Neverwhere (fantasy) and A Man Called Ove (fiction). For now. Those may change in a few months. :)
C - Chore you hate: siiiggh.......cleaning bathrooms
D - Dessert you love: the older I get, the less I like sweets but I'll ALWAYS love chocolate.
E - Essential “must pack” vacation item (other than books): mini iPad
F - Favorite type of music: anything really
G - Games you like to play: wow haven't played games in a long time
H - Hobbies: besides reading.........sewing & scrapbooking, anything crafty
I - Instruments you play: piano
J - Job you have/wish you had: I'm in the USPS (no complaints please, lol!), at a processing plant, my dept supports everything on the workroom floor. Job I wish I had.....wow.....the endless possibilities.....
K - Key cooking item/ingredient you can’t live without: garlic :)
L - Last great meal you ate: a sushi dish in a restaurant in Seattle
M - Most overused word/phrase in your vocabulary: definitely
N - Nicknames: Jo......I hate Josie only because it's not my name and I grew up with the old cartoon Josie and the Pussycats.
O - One “must watch” television show: Oh geez.....I go in spurts. Just binge watched Madame Secretary. Lost in Space. Most cop shows. Basically mostly hour long shows.....not too much into sitcoms anymore.
P - Pet Peeve: people who don't say thank you, is that too much to ask? Lol!
Q - Question you hate to be asked: Are you okay?
R - Recent movie you enjoyed: I'm really on the late train with movies but the last two I enjoyed were on another plane flight: Only the Brave and Kingsman: The Golden Circle
S - Share something you would like us to know about you: let's see.........I'm stronger than I look :)
T - Team you cheer for: Yup....I'm a 49er fan but I've been a fan for a long time. Same with the San Antonio Spurs.
U - Usually read where/when: On the weekdays whenever I can eek out some time. On the weekends I love the mornings with my breakfast & coffee sitting out in the backyard.
V - Vegetable you hate: I could probably go vegan (HALF of the week, lol!).......I'm still a carnivore at heart.
W - Weather you love: Fall is my absolute favorite time of year....not too hot.....cooling down.
X - X-ray vision and/or other superpowers you would like to have: I think I would have to go with flying
Y - Yet to happen bucket list item: Just travel.......everywhere.
Z - Zodiac Sign: Virgo

....Thank you....don't be mad at us....

message 7: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Welcome Josen...I'm with you on the chocolate!!!

message 8: by Josen (new)

Josen (josens) | 12 comments Lisa P wrote: "Welcome Josen...I'm with you on the chocolate!!!"

Thanks Lisa! And I'm totally with you on the week in New York seeing Broadway shows! :)

message 9: by Josen (last edited Sep 17, 2018 07:20AM) (new)

Josen (josens) | 12 comments Kenneth wrote: "A - Airplane destination you last flew to: Florida; Disney, but this time we are going to take a road trip to see how that goes.

B - Book you would recommend to all your friends: Fireman by Joe Hi..."

Oreos and a glass of milk are definitely a go-to! But my daughter and I are kind of weird in that we scrape out the filling and leave it in a gross little pile on the side. Lol!

(I just realized I used my "most overused word" in that sentence...... definitely. Siiiiiiggghh. Lol!

message 10: by Josen (new)

Josen (josens) | 12 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Oooookay...I'll try to do this:

A - Airplane destination you last flew to: Fort Meade, Maryland, I haven't flown since I was in the Army.

B - Book you would recommend to all your friends:[book:Th..."

I had to laugh at your "essential must pack".......yes, clean underwear is number one essential. Lol!

:)

message 12: by Brian (new)

Brian | 15 comments A - Airplane destination you last flew to: Washington DC
B - Book you would recommend to all your friends: Term Limits
C - Chore you hate: Weeding
D - Dessert you love: Peach Pie
E - Essential “must pack” vacation item (other than books): underwear!!!
F - Favorite type of music: country/rock
G - Games you like to play: Ice Hockey
H - Hobbies: Golf, Hiking,
I - Instruments you play: Piano (sort of)
J - Job you have/wish you had: Pro Hockey player
K - Key cooking item/ingredient you can’t live without: Salt
L - Last great meal you ate: last night (Wife made beef stew)
M - Most overused word/phrase in your vocabulary: F#$*
N - Nicknames: Lefty
O - One “must watch” television show: Scrubs
P - Pet Peeve: People who chew loudly
Q - Question you hate to be asked: Are you Brad Pitt? haha
R - Recent movie you enjoyed: Deadpool 2
S - Share something you would like us to know about you: hmm.Im left handed
T - Team you cheer for: Edmonton Oilers
U - Usually read where/when: Home/Everywhere
V - Vegetable you hate: Broccoli
W - Weather you love:Fall
X - X-ray vision and/or other superpowers you would like to have: Super Strength
Y - Yet to happen bucket list item: skydiving
Z - Zodiac Sign: Taurus

message 13: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Brian wrote: "A - Airplane destination you last flew to: Washington DC
B - Book you would recommend to all your friends: Term Limits
C - Chore you hate: Weeding
D - Dessert you love: Peach Pie
E - E..."

I think I would enjoy skydiving as well, but you would definitely have to push me out of the plane first.

By the way Brian, love your avatar...is that your dog?

My take on that goes along with Gunny Highway who said:

"it's not a natural reaction for someone to jump out of a perfectly good airplane."

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian | 15 comments Yeah it was my dog Turk. Died last thanksgiving. He was pretty awesome!

Sorry to hear that Brian, I know it's losing a family member.

message 17: by Brian (new)

Brian | 15 comments Oh yeah. Always tough.

message 18: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

That is tough...sorry Brian. He was certainly handsome!

message 19: by Josen (new)

Josen (josens) | 12 comments Brian wrote: "Yeah it was my dog Turk. Died last thanksgiving. He was pretty awesome!"

Aw I'm sorry to hear that. I used to have a doberman eons ago but she wasn't clipped. She was so sweet and as big as she was she just wanted to sit in your lap. Lol!

message 20: by Brian (new)

Brian | 15 comments Thanks y’all. Dobe’s are wonderful dogs. 80 lb lap dog.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 818 comments Brian wrote: "Thanks y’all. Dobe’s are wonderful dogs. 80 lb lap dog."

They are wonderful. Sorry for your loss. Our Doberman, Ulysses, was my constant companion until I was 8 when he died. I wandered the countryside with him & he got me out of all sorts of trouble. I could go anywhere (& did!) without fear save that of Mom's reprisals when I wandered too far & the cops or neighbors rounded me up. He wouldn't let me play with snakes, though. I remember being mad because he could rest his chin on our kitchen table while I had to chin myself.

Don't put off sky diving for too long. I was in the 82d & did a lot of jumping there plus some afterward. Loved it, especially standing at the bottom of a ramp & playing Superman when we got to tailgate. I wouldn't want to jump now, though. Chutes have gotten better, but the ground gets harder every year & not every landing is a good one.
;)

message 22: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) A - Airplane destination you last flew to: Denver
B - Book you would recommend to all your friends: Where the Crawdads Sing
C - Chore you hate:dusting
D - Dessert you love: creme brulee
E - Essential “must pack” vacation item (other than books): medicine
F - Favorite type of music: baroque
G - Games you like to play: gin rummy
H - Hobbies: crossword puzzles
I - Instruments you play: clarinet
J - Job you have/wish you had: veterinarian
K - Key cooking item/ingredient you can’t live without: sourdough bread
L - Last great meal you ate: fish and chips
M - Most overused word/phrase in your vocabulary: idiot
N - Nicknames: Kirsti
O - One “must watch” television show: Handmaid's Tale
P - Pet Peeve: people who don't vote
Q - Question you hate to be asked: how to spell my name
R - Recent movie you enjoyed: Artemis Fowl
S - Share something you would like us to know about you: dog lover
T - Team you cheer for: Seattle Mariners
U - Usually read where/when: back patio
V - Vegetable you hate: onion
W - Weather you love: sunny with mild breeze
X - X-ray vision and/or other superpowers you would like to have: telekinesis
Y - Yet to happen bucket list item: riding the Orient Express
Z - Zodiac Sign: Pisces

message 23: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Kirsten wrote: "A - Airplane destination you last flew to: Denver
B - Book you would recommend to all your friends: Where the Crawdads Sing
C - Chore you hate:dusting
D - Dessert you love: creme br..."

I have had so many people recommend that book 'Where the Crawdads Sing'...I'm going to have to read it one of these days. Thanks for the introduction Kirsten!

message 24: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jan 01, 2021 07:29PM) (new)

If you haven't already done this, it is a fun way to introduce yourself to the group. Just copy/paste from message 1 and fill in your answers. Here is mine again with a few updates:

A - Airplane destination you last flew to: Montana for my nephew's wedding.
B - Book you would recommend to all your friends: I find myself recommending “Ready Player One” a lot.
C - Chore you hate: All of them...um, they're called chores for a reason
D - Dessert you love: Anything chocolate
E - Essential “must pack” vacation item (other than books): Sunscreen…I burn easily and most all of my vacations involve sunshine.
F - Favorite type of music: I have an eclectic mix of favorites…not too big on country though. Favorite artist is Dimash...if you haven't heard of him, I suggest you check him out.
G - Games you like to play: I love puzzles of any kind
H - Hobbies: reading, knitting, and going to the gym I do frequently…those I wish I could do more often are fishing and kayak/canoeing
I - Instruments you play: learned the flute and piano as a kid, but can’t play either anymore (chopsticks maybe)
J - Job you have/wish you had: Office Administration, but my dream job would include being outside on/near the ocean
K - Key cooking item/ingredient you can’t live without: limes and cilantro
L - Last great meal you ate: Last night made some Enchilada Soup...delicious.
M - Most overused word/phrase in your vocabulary: No Daisy…(Daisy is my 2 year old puppy)
N - Nicknames: None thank goodness…not much you can do with Lisa
O - One “must watch” television show: So many to choose from but I will say “Firefly”
P - Pet Peeve: Noisy chewers
Q - Question you hate to be asked: How are you?...seems so generic
R - Recent movie you enjoyed: “Ready Player One” and “Solo”
S - Share something you would like us to know about you: I love the ocean and hope to live right on it someday
T - Team you cheer for: Any team my boys are playing on…don’t follow professional anything
U - Usually read where/when: At night before bed or first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee on my days off
V - Vegetable you hate: I love all vegetables
W - Weather you love: sunshine and 80 degrees
X - X-ray vision and/or other superpowers you would like to have: flying would be soooo cool
Y – Yet to happen bucket list item: Spend at least a week in New York seeing Broadway shows
Z - Zodiac Sign: cancer (yes I can get crabby sometimes)