Green Group discussion

2016-2022 Book Reads > Reading Challenge!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fianna (last edited Oct 02, 2018 06:40PM) (new)

Fianna Whitman (fianna_whitman) This thread is for those of us who want to challenge ourselves to learn more about climate change and environmental issues.

This will be an ongoing challenge so there is no deadline, just keep going until you're done! To start there are 25 challenge prompts, films or book titles on the list. Five more will be added each month.

Let's get started!

1. Read Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. Or re-read it if you haven't read it in the last three years.

2. Read People of the Deer, Never Cry Wolf, A Whale for the Killing, No Man's River or Sea of Slaughter by Farley Mowat.

3. Read a book about an endangered mammal.

4. Read a book that takes place on or in the Pacific Ocean.

5. Read Trash Mountain by Bradley Bazzle

6. Read a book about bottled water such as Plastic Water, Bottlemania or Inside the Bottle

7. Read a book set in the woods

8. Read A Civil Action by Jonathon Carr

9. Read a book about environmental ethics

10. Read The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert

11. Read a book about electric cars

12. Watch the documentary "the Age of Stupid"

13. Read a book about Whales

14. Read With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change

15. Read a book about Monsanto

16. Watch the documentary "The Dark Side of Chocolate"

17. Read 2312 (novel)

18. Watch "Wall-E"

19. Read a book about an environmental disaster

20. Read a book about the arctic

21. Watch "No Impact Man"

22. Read Overdressed by Elizabeth Cline

23. Read a book about fracking

24. Read Flammable: Environmental Suffering in an Argentine Shantytown

25. Watch "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts"

26. Read The Waxman Report by Harry Waxman

27. Read Seed Sovereignty, Food Security by Vandana Shiva

28. Read a book about the ocean

29. Watch The Cove

30. Read a book about the EPA

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 2193 comments You can add one more category, a book by an indie author who realistically writes about how we treat our environment either as the story or the background of the story, includes animals and wild life.

message 3: by Fianna (new)

Fianna Whitman (fianna_whitman) Great Idea. But this is only the tip of the iceberg. I'll be adding 5 more at the beginning of each month. Thanks for the suggestion, Robert!

message 4: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1612 comments Mod
Fianna wrote and told me about her challenge. It sounded like a great idea, so I told her to go for it. Anyone who gives the challenge a shot might want to post here with what they read.

I do prefer that authors here keep their promotions to the Green Author folder. That policy has worked very well so far.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 2193 comments Just keep it under your hat that you read an indie climate change or animal rights story. I had to change my response from eco writer to writing about the interactions between the 3 dimensional world we created and the multidimensional world that created us when someone asks me what I do.

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Kroes (ken_kroes) | 69 comments HI Fianna... What a great idea ! I am going to have to reswizzle my time around a bit to find a bit more time to read !!

Thank-you !

message 7: by Fianna (new)

Fianna Whitman (fianna_whitman) Hi Ken!

Great, I'm so glad to hear that you're interested!
Fianna

message 8: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 7 comments Good suggestions, Fianna. Might be good when anyone reads an appropriate book or sees a good documentary to add it to the list.

message 9: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 6636 comments Mod
Great ideas there! I haven't read the titles suggested but I have read other books on the same topic.

Books set among trees - I pick those up frequently and I choose romantic suspense stories and crime books for settings in nature. Who needs another book set in offices?

message 10: by Clare (new)

Robert wrote: "You can add one more category, a book by an indie author who realistically writes about how we treat our environment either as the story or the background of the story, includes animals and wild life."

Robert, who else is going to write a fiction book about whales?

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1 comments I would like to participate in this challenge! If I can get through this list by the end of 2018 I will be proud of myself! Will discussions be posted here?

message 12: by Clare (new)

Go for it Heather, feel free to discuss as you go. And Jimmy is always looking for nominations for a book club read.
If you find a book you would like to nominate for the bookshelf, we have a thread for that too.
I am back in college at present so do not have much time.

message 13: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1612 comments Mod
Hi Heather. If you want to participate in Fianna's challenge, please feel free to make comments on this thread. If you want to discuss an individual book, send me a note through Goodreads, and I can possibly start a separate thread.

message 14: by Fianna (last edited Oct 03, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

Fianna Whitman (fianna_whitman) Here's my updated list, as I read them.

[X] 1. Read Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. Or re-read it if you haven't read it in the last three years.

[ ] 2. Read People of the Deer, Never Cry Wolf, A Whale for the Killing, No Man's River or Sea of Slaughter by Farley Mowat.

[ } 3. Read a book about an endangered mammal.

[ ] 4. Read a book that takes place on or in the Pacific Ocean.

[ ] 5. Read Trash Mountain by Bradley Bazzle

[ ] 6. Read a book about bottled water such as Plastic Water, Bottlemania or Inside the Bottle

[ ] 7. Read a book set in the woods

[X ] 8. Read A Civil Action by Jonathon Carr

[ ] 9. Read a book about environmental ethics

[ ] 10. Read The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert

[ ] 11. Read a book about electric cars

[X] 12. Watch the documentary "the Age of Stupid"

[ ] 13. Read a book about Whales

[ ] 14. Read With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change

[X ] 15. Read a book about Monsanto The World According to Monsanto

[ ] 16. Watch the documentary "The Dark Side of Chocolate"

[ ] 17. Read 2312 (novel)

[ X] 18. Watch "Wall-E"

[ ] 19. Read a book about an environmental disaster

[ ] 20. Read a book about the arctic

[ ] 21. Watch "No Impact Man"

[ ] 22. Read Overdressed by Elizabeth Cline

[ ] 23. Read a book about fracking

[ ] 24. Read Flammable: Environmental Suffering in an Argentine Shantytown

[X ] 25. Watch "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts"

[ ] 26. Read The Waxman Report by Harry Waxman