Reading 1001 discussion

Effie Briest
This topic is about Effie Briest
1001 book reviews > Effi Briest by Theodor Fontane

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane  | 2051 comments 4.5 Stars

Theodor Fontane is practically unknown in the English-speaking world, but I hear is is very popular in his native Germany. This book was a pleasant surprise for me. The overall ratings for this book are low, so I wasn't expecting too much. Also, an acquaintance of mine read it a few years ago and had nothing good to say about it. The masses apparently apparently have it all wrong (It can't be me).

This book reminds me a lot of Madame Bovary, Tess, or Anna Karenina - all books I love. Effi is a woman who makes a mistake, due to her circumstances, and pays the price dictated by society (oh, those double standards). The characters are all likable in their own way, except for maybe Campus (but you still can't help but feel sorry for the guy). Overall, a great story.

message 2: by Kristel (last edited Aug 27, 2019 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristel (kristelh) | 4261 comments Mod
Read 2015:
This is the story of young girl, really still playing with girlfriends, who is married off to an old man. In fact the fellow used to date the girls mother. The young girl is full of life and loves to be outdoors and involved in adventurous activities. She soon is married off, moves far away to an area where she doesn’t fit in and is lonely as she discovers herself to be married to a workaholic. Her only friends and companions is the Newfoundland dog Rollo and her servant who she found on a bench in the cemetery in a fit of melancholy. This is a story that is compared to Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary. I liked this one best. Anna is a good story but a little long and tedious at times. Emma (Madame Bovary) was not likable. This story is enjoyable, reads quickly and you can’t help but like Effi. A sad story.