You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Does this style of covers have a name?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments There is a style of cover that I have seen on several books, that I'm wondering if there is a name for or if it is perhaps used by a certain publishing company or is by a specific artist...? Some examples are:

Poppy Jenkins by Clare Ashton

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou's Autobiography, #1) by Maya Angelou

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments They're silhouetted people but whether there is a proper name for it or not i wouldn't know.

message 3: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments Yes, they often have silhouetted people, like the ones in my post, but not always... but it seems to me a very specific style.

message 4: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments I see the similarities but I do not know of a specific style it is called. The books are by different publishers. It is possible that the covers are all by the same artist but it is not noted in the detail information in GoodReads. Interesting question though!

message 5: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments I really like the style :)

message 6: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments I own two of the books, but neither of them have the same cover you showed. I even found that I own two duplicate copied of the Mya Angelou book.

message 7: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Annaki wrote: "I really like the style :)"

Me too.

message 8: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments My copy of Mayas also has that cover, I love it <3 My Mockingbird copy has this cover, which I also quite like, it's along the same lines:

To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird, #1) by Harper Lee

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments It’s an old technique, made popular in Victorian times. The name is silhouette art or papercut/Schnerenschnitte.

message 10: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments Awesome!

message 11: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Claire wrote: "It’s an old technique, made popular in Victorian times. The name is silhouette art or papercut/Schnerenschnitte."

Yeah.Thanks for that Claire.
And the papercutting looks awesome.

message 12: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments Hans Christian Andersen did a lot of them.

back to top