Play Book Tag discussion

Annihilation
This topic is about Annihilation
July 2018: Dystopian > Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ShazM | 389 comments I have given this four stars but I'm not sure I can tell you why!

Four women, known only by their occupation, make up expedition number twelve into Area X, a wilderness for which there has been no explanation but which is thought to be dangerous. There have been eleven previous expeditions from which very few of the explorers returned and none with any coherent story of their time in Area X.

This first part of a trilogy is told by the biologist who volunteered for expedition number twelve along with a psychologist, a surveyor and an anthropologist. Details about the other three women are sketchy and most of the characterisation is reserved for the biologist herself and the flora and fauna of the wilderness. Now that I've finished I am a little surprised that this didn't result in a slow read for me but I raced through it looking for answers rather like the biologist.

I think that the suspense was very well done. I would say that this was a very creepy story but not actually outright scary so hopefully no nightmares for me tonight! I dropped a star because I now have to read the next in the series. The ending wasn't a cliff-hanger as such but there were no real answers to all the questions so a little dissatisfying. I expect the author knew he wouldn't be able to get it all into one book.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments This one sounds like something I would like! I love wilderness adventures to begin with and especially like the idea of an all women "cast". How did you hear of this one?

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments This has been an on the TBR, off the TBR book for me. You make it sound like it should be on!

ShazM | 389 comments Anita wrote: "This one sounds like something I would like! I love wilderness adventures to begin with and especially like the idea of an all women "cast". How did you hear of this one?"

It was my daughter who read it first, I think she saw it in a magazine, probably Cosmopolitan, they have book recommendations. I probably wouldn't have read it myself but she read it really fast and persuaded me to slip it in before I started something else. Lucky me, she's already bought the second one, I just have to wait for her to finish it first!