The Cosy Bookish Corner discussion

Archived BOTM Discussions > July BOTM Discussion - To Kill a Mockingbird

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (last edited Jul 03, 2018 11:28AM) (new)

Tanya (tanya23510) | 432 comments Mod
Hello again everyone!

The votes are in and the winner is.... To Kill a Mockingbird!!

Please join in on the conversation here!

Here are a few points to get the chat started!

Who was your favourite character?

Could you relate to any aspects in the book?

How did you feel about Atticus as a man and as a single dad?

Have you ever seen the Film?

message 2: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

I'm just gonna start this off by saying that I may have a crush on Atticus and the fact that Gregory Peck plays him in the movie is just perfection... lol

message 3: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Who was your favorite character?
My favorite character was definitely Atticus. I love how he was very clear on what he thought was right, even though other people thought otherwise. I loved the freedom he gave to Scout to simply be unapologetically herself, especially in a time and place where you were expected to be a "girly girl" and nothing else.

I did also enjoy Scout as she definitely got traits from her father and (view spoiler)

Could you relate to any aspects in the book? Even though I grew up about forty years after the time of publishing and in a small Italian town, I could definitely still relate to many "quirks" that small towns have - like the constant gossip, the marginalizing of somebody just for being different (like Boo) which caused the gossiping to escalate and people, but especially women, to be and act a certain way.

How did you feel about Atticus as a man and as a single dad? LOVED, LOVED, LOVED HIM. (view spoiler)

Have you ever seen the Film? Yes and I actually loved it! I am glad I read the book first (even though I did find it quite slow, but I think that was because of the accent and it took me a bit longer?) and I have to say I am quite happy with the adaptation, especially considering how long ago it was made.