Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine discussion

Next Year in Havana > Share your thoughts!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hello (new)

Hello Sunshine | 58 comments Mod
What did you think? What questions do you still have?

message 2: by Scilla (new)

Scilla (scillalee) | 2 comments Just finished this book last night and it just giving me more and more to read! I absolutely loved it, and can’t wait for “When we left Cuba!!!”

message 3: by Raquel (new)

Raquel  Escudero  | 1 comments The book was amazing!! I couldn’t put it down. After every chapter I wanted more and more!! Amazing work.

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (miniguinea73) I'm not that far in, but I'm immediately thinking of Julia Alvarez's book, In the Time of the Butterflies. Some similarities, and huge differences, but both books about sisters and how their lives are affected by dictatorships (especially now that I know her next book is about Beatriz!).

I grew up in Miami in the shadow of Castro, so this book really hits home. I'm so excited to keep reading.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 3 comments I really loved this book- the plot was addicting and I liked the characters. I thought it provided a good insight on what it means to be Cuban and how the revolution impacted generations, both in Cuba and places like Miami where people fled to. I wonder if someone of Cuban descent would agree?

That being said, I wasn't a huge fan of how the relationship worked out between Marisol and Luis. To me it didn't feel as believable as the other relationships between friends, sisters, family, lovers, etc. I still loved the book though, and can't wait for the next one!

message 6: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4 comments This book is really good hard to put down I listening to the audiobook version of it but really want to buy the book at some point it that good.

message 7: by Rebeckah (new)

Rebeckah Gourse | 1 comments Could not put it down, finished in three days. was hooked from the first chapter. looking forward to the author's next book.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments I LOVED this book. I have an 8 month old, so sleep is precious BUT I was so engrossed in the story that I gave up sleep to read this book. I finished it in 4 days...nights that is! :-) I’m looking forward to the author’s next book.

message 9: by Cori (new)

Cori (clp412) | 8 comments This book was FANTASTIC! I choose this book for BookClub and everyone that read it loved it. The night of bookclub we talked about the story, but also we had great discussions about the politics of Cuba then and now. I appreciate the authors information that gives a bit of insight into a place so close but not often written about. I can't wait for Ms. Cleeton's next book in the spring!

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4 comments Just finished this next year in Havana on audiobook book a couple of days ago and I absolutely loved it I could not put it down. The author did an amazing job with the characters.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments Just finished Next Year In Havana. Truly enjoyed it. A great summer read and looking forward to the next novel, When We Left Cuba, due out next spring!

message 12: by Luz (new)

Luz Trevino (luztrevino) | 2 comments I really enjoyed Next Year in Havana.

message 13: by Librarian Anna (new)

Librarian Anna (thelibrariananna) Still in the middle of reading it, I only have about 2.5 chapters left in my audiobook, but this book is amazing. I generally don't fall for contemporary adult fiction but this one pulled me in and broke my heart in all of the best ways. I love the dual narrators and parallel time lines which blur the lines between contemporary and historical fiction. The audiobook narrators are amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on When We Left Cuba next year!!

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie | 1 comments I’m a first generation Cuban American on my mothers side and I really enjoyed the in depth history in this book. I just finished last night. It was like stepping into my abuelo and abuelas stories and I can’t thank the author enough for writing something that will likely resonate with so many.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (katequackenbush) | 1 comments I've just joined the book club and will be starting this one today! Looking forward to it!!

message 16: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 6 comments It’s captivating so far (only past first couple chapters). The descriptions are perfectly well done. This really makes me want to pack my bags and head to Cuba, especially to experience Havana. I also like how well the author flips back and forth between Elisa and Marisol; really developing their individual characters. Does anyone have a favorite character? I’m learning towards Marisol.

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 8 comments This was a wonderful book. My go to genres are Scifi and Fantasy, so I decided to start reading the Hello Sunshine books in the hope of finding intelligently written stories to round out my reading.

I ended up pulling in a group of females from a former IRL book club. This group is made up of smart ladies who are now geographically spread around the country whose tastes are as diverse as their locales. So far, everyone who has finished has agreed that this was a wonderfully captivating book.

I hope the remaining Hello Sunshine reads are equally as wonderful.

message 18: by Janet (new)

Janet | 3 comments While I loved 90% of the book, there were moments where I felt Cleeton was too heavy handed. Here’s my review:
Check out Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 19: by Jamie-Lee (new)

Jamie-Lee (jlkfraser) | 16 comments Don’t hate me but I had a really hard time with this book for some reason. Maybe it was the audiobook but I just couldn’t get into it. I think I’ll try it as a physical book some time and see if I like it better.

message 20: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Mcatee schnoor | 1 comments Loved this book. So much history and a great way to learn about Cuba. I even went and googled some of the info to learn more about the history. Will definitely be reading the next one.

message 21: by Susan D.Suane (new)

Susan D.Suane | 9 comments Absolutely loved this book! Five stars from me. Love historical fiction, and will definitely be reading the sequel.

message 22: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Tantimonaco  | 5 comments Absolutely loved this book, i couldn't read it fast enough! This book had everything for me - romance, intrigue, character development, history. I read the prequel too, which was just a good. This is one of y favorite Reese Witherspoon book club picks - she never dissapoints!

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie Van Alyne I just finished this one and honestly wasn't too impressed with it. I'm not sure if it was the audiobook vs physical book, but I just felt like each romance was too quick to being "madly in love"

message 24: by Leda (new)

Leda | 3 comments Loved this book! I listened to the audio book. Loved the details about the beauty of the country and learned alot about Castro's Cuba and how he came to power. And the plot sucks you in pretty quickly.

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Johnson | 1 comments I started this book at the beginning of covid, then fell into a funk and didn't feel like reading much. I liked what little I'd read so far.