101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

A Long Way from Chicago (A Long Way from Chicago, #1)
This topic is about A Long Way from Chicago
Completed Children's Reads > A Long Way from Chicago

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
Please discuss A Long Way from Chicago:

Pallavi (bookfetisher) I had read this last year and liked it very much...

here is my review :
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I hadn't even heard of this one before this group. I just started it and I'm finding it interesting, but it doesn't really have a kids' book feel to it, considering some of the initial subject matter and the way it's presented. I mean, I guess kids find dead bodies interesting, but it's something about the language flow. But maybe I'll feel differently once I'm more than ten pages in, lol.

Cosmic Arcata | 18 comments I love this book and read it and the sequel to it to my children.

I am quite enjoying this. I love the crazy humor! I'm in the last chapter, and I got to the sentence "As we tucked into big slabs of sour cream raisin pie..." Say, WHAT? I hope that's just the author being humorous and not a real thing?!

Cosmic Arcata | 18 comments Alana wrote: "I am quite enjoying this. I love the crazy humor! I'm in the last chapter, and I got to the sentence "As we tucked into big slabs of sour cream raisin pie..." Say, WHAT? I hope that's just the auth..."
I have eaten a raisin pie before. I was kinda suspicious of it at first. It was very rich and I think some sour cream might be a good complement. I have also made a vinegar pie. It would be fun to start a cookbook based on books and food mentioned in them.

Oo, or even a thread just where we post about recipes or food we've found mentioned in books that interests us (either because it sounds gross or because we can't wait to try it!) Fun stuff!

And I'd never heard of a sour cream raisin pie! Who knew? :)

Cosmic Arcata | 18 comments Alana wrote: "Oo, or even a thread just where we post about recipes or food we've found mentioned in books that interests us (either because it sounds gross or because we can't wait to try it!) Fun stuff!

And I..."

I think the recipe was in The New Laurel's Kitchen

I think the sour cream would be served on the side to be dropped on top.