Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Chit Chat > Question of the Day - July 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 04, 2018 05:43AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2516 comments Mod
Tuesday, July 3: Teaser Tuesday ... what's the first sentence of the book you are currently reaading?

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

"When given bad news, most women of my station can afford to slump onto their divans, their china cups slipping from their fingers to the carpet, their hair falling prettily from its pins, their fourteen starched petticoats compacting with a plush crunch."
Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 767 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Tuesday, July 2: Teaser Tuesday ... what's the first sentence of the book you are currently reaading?"

On the afternoon of December 21, 1846, hundreds of men crowded into the operating theater at London's University College Hospital, where the city's most renowned surgeon was preparing to enthrall them with a mid-thigh amputation.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne | 6 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Tuesday, July 2: Teaser Tuesday ... what's the first sentence of the book you are currently reaading?"

In the darkness of the forest the young knight could hear the splashing of the fountain long before he could see the glimmer of moonlight reflected on the Still surface.

message 5: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 04, 2018 05:42AM) (new)

Oh ... please DO tell us the title of the book!

Leah ... is your The Anatomy of Deception?

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne | 6 comments My book is “The White Queen” by Philippa Gregory

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Tuesday, July 3: Teaser Tuesday ... what's the first sentence of the book you are currently reaading?"

"When I was seven, I knew exactly who I was: a thoroughly American girl in race, manners, and speech, whose mother, Lulu Minturn, was the only white woman who owned a first-class courtesan house in Shanghai."
The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Thursday, July 5 .... Do you iron your clothes?

I still iron ... love having pressed jeans ... even my t-shirts get ironed (not the undershirts, but the ones with sayings or designs on them).

message 9: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Thursday, July 5 .... Do you iron your clothes?

I do not. My dad would be so disappointed lol. He ironed everything. He was very serious about his laundry.

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne | 6 comments My mother irons everything, including her sheets. Ironing is a last resort for me.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Thursday, July 5 .... Do you iron your clothes?

I don't. If something is wrinkled I throw it in the dryer for a bit.

message 12: by Leah (new)

July 6, Friday: What is your favorite book series?

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Leah wrote: "July 6, Friday: What is your favorite book series?"

I have many that I have enjoyed, but I have a couple favorites: Fablehaven by Brandon Mull and Divergent by Veronica Roth.
Fablehaven (5 Book Series) by Brandon Mull The Divergent Library Divergent; Insurgent; Allegiant; Four The Transfer, The Initiate, The Son, and The Traitor by Veronica Roth

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "July 6, Friday: What is your favorite book series?"

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
I usually tire of series by about book 7 or 8 (sometimes by book 3), but I haven't tired of this one at all.

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Monday, July 9: At what temperature are you most comfortable?

As I get older my "perfect weather" range gets smaller .... I'd say between 65F and 72F is perfect for me. (Though in the winter we turn our thermostat down to 55F at night time.)

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, July 9: At what temperature are you most comfortable?

I keep my house at 73 year round, but I'm comfortable with anything between 68 and 75.

message 17: by Leah (new)

July 10, Tuesday: Do you ever judge books by their cover?

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Leah wrote: "July 10, Tuesday: Do you ever judge books by their cover?"

Unfortunately I do. I know I shouldn't, but if the cover doesn't grab my attention then I assume that the story won't.

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "July 10, Tuesday: Do you ever judge books by their cover?"

Not exactly ... but I've been seduced by a gorgeous cover (more than once).

message 20: by Leah (new)

July 11, Wednesday: What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Leah wrote: "July 11, Wednesday: What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?"

Make popcorn. I love the taste of it cooked on the stove. I also enjoy making iced tea by putting the pan in the sun (sun tea).

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "July 11, Wednesday: What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?"

Write letters ....

message 23: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 412 comments Leah wrote: "July 10, Tuesday: Do you ever judge books by their cover?"

Yes, and that is how I often buy books.

message 24: by Leah (new)

July 13, Friday: What’s worth spending more money on to get the best?

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Sunday, July 15: It's National Ice Cream Day ... What's your favorite flavor? In a cone or in a Cup?

I love coffee ice cream and prefer in a cup/bowl than in a cone.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday, July 15: It's National Ice Cream Day ... What's your favorite flavor? In a cone or in a Cup?

I love coffee ice cream and prefer in a cup/bowl than in a cone."

I'm with you BC...coffee ice cream in a cup.

message 27: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday, July 15: It's National Ice Cream Day ... What's your favorite flavor? In a cone or in a Cup?

Chocolate, in a cone.

message 28: by Leah (last edited Jul 17, 2018 11:13AM) (new)

July 16, Monday: What movie title best describes your life?

message 29: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "What movie title best describes your life?"

Singing in the Rain!

message 30: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday, July 15: It's National Ice Cream Day ... What's your favorite flavor? In a cone or in a Cup?

I love coffee ice cream and prefer in a cup/bowl than in a cone."

Maple Nut in a cup.

message 31: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Leah wrote: "July 13, Friday: What’s worth spending more money on to get the best?"

Shoes.

message 32: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Leah wrote: "July 11, Wednesday: What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?"

Wash dishes. No dishwasher for me.

message 33: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Melissa wrote: "Leah wrote: "July 6, Friday: What is your favorite book series?"

I have many that I have enjoyed, but I have a couple favorites: Fablehaven by Brandon Mull and Divergent by Veronica Roth.
[bookco..."

Little House On The Prairie.

message 34: by Leah (new)

July 17, Tuesday: What’s something you are self-conscious about?

message 35: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 412 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday, July 15: It's National Ice Cream Day ... What's your favorite flavor? In a cone or in a Cup?

Moose Tracks, both in a cup or a cone. Love sugar cones the best.

message 36: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 412 comments Leah wrote: "July 11, Wednesday: What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?"

Bake from scratch. It just tastes better.

message 37: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 412 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Thursday, July 5 .... Do you iron your clothes?

I do. I wear cotton mostly and if I am wearing a blouse they often need to be ironed so I don't look like I slept in them.

message 38: by Leah (new)

July 18, Wednesday: What is one thing do you really want but can’t afford?

message 39: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Leah wrote: "July 18, Wednesday: What is one thing do you really want but can’t afford?"

A lake home.

message 40: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 412 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Tuesday, July 3: Teaser Tuesday ... what's the first sentence of the book you are currently reaading?"

I stared down into the open grave and wished that I could summon a tear.

A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn

message 41: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 412 comments Leah wrote: "July 18, Wednesday: What is one thing do you really want but can’t afford?"

A Disney World Vacation Club membership

message 42: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 412 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, July 9: At what temperature are you most comfortable?

Between 50-75 degrees. I'm always hot.

message 43: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 412 comments Leah wrote: "July 6, Friday: What is your favorite book series?"

J. D. Robb's In Death series featuring Eve Dallas and Roarke.

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 858 comments Leah wrote: "July 18, Wednesday: What is one thing do you really want but can’t afford?"

A summer house in NH so I can spend some of the year with my family up there.

message 45: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "July 18, Wednesday: What is one thing do you really want but can’t afford?"

I tend not to "really want" things I can't afford ... but I have to admit that a "summer home" (or lake / beach cottage) does some appealing.

message 46: by Book Concierge (new)

Friday July 20: Anyone else out there as obsessed with America's Got Talent as I am? Any clear favorite so far?

I love this show, but haven't watched all the early episodes ... I just started watching the judges' cut. That trapeze couple !!!!!! Still, haven't seen anything yet that I'd pay for an hour-long show in Vegas.

message 47: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Friday July 20: Anyone else out there as obsessed with America's Got Talent as I am? Any clear favorite so far?

I love this show, but haven't watched all the early episodes ... I just started wat..."

I dont think I'm obsessed but I do tape it to make sure I dont miss it. There are so many good ones I dont have a favorite. I was very disappointed the opera singer didn't get through. Couldn't figure out how he got booted off when the heavy set gal at the end made it through and they said she was pitchy. That scary guy with the bow and arrow was pretty cool too.

message 48: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 412 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Friday July 20: Anyone else out there as obsessed with America's Got Talent as I am? Any clear favorite so far?

I watch it but cannot say I'm obsessed. I liked the 13 year old who channeled Janis Joplin. Cannot wait to see if she does it again.

message 49: by Leah (new)

July 23, Monday: Is there a book you wish you would have read, but just haven't yet?

message 50: by Book Concierge (new)

Sheila wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Friday July 20: Anyone else out there as obsessed with America's Got Talent as I am? Any clear favorite so far?

I watch it but cannot say I'm obsessed. I liked the 13 year old who channeled Janis Joplin. ..."

Oh .. haven't seen her ... THAT would be something!

« previous 1