Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Please fix series

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Octavia (last edited Jul 02, 2018 08:16PM) (new)

Octavia Cade | 197 comments Hi Goodreads,

I'm currently reading my way through The Asimov Chronicles by Isaac Asimov, and the series is in a horrible muddle. Would you be able to fix it please?

The series title is "The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov". There are six volumes (literally Volumes One-Six) and a collected edition in the series.

Individual titles should therefore be "The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov, Volume One" and so forth.

This is the Goodreads page for volume one, which I'm reading now.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
The summary is correct, the cover is correct, but somehow the series name is "The Asimov chronicles #5" - which refers to volume 5 of the series, not the series itself. (And this isn't even volume 5.)

Could you please:
1) Change the series name to "The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov".
2) Change the original title of the book to "The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov, Volume One" instead of what it is now, which is "The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov (Volume Five)".

Once this series issue is sorted I should be able to request fixes for the rest in the Book Issues subforum as I read my way through it.

Thanks,
Octavia.

message 2: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Long, long time ago someone combined all the volumes with volume #5...
Working on separating and putting back on the series page

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Now I have an important question:
What makes this collection a series?
e.g. do the stories have universe or characters in common?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45451 comments Mod
They actually may, as Asimov aggressively cross-linked his various universes.

message 5: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments I corrected/added the data where I could.

Octavia,
If you could confirm about the series that would be great.

message 6: by Octavia (last edited Jul 03, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

Octavia Cade | 197 comments Looking at the overall table of contents, they do have characters in common, yes. It's basically volumes of (often interlocking) short stories. While not every story is cross-linked with the others, the same universe and characters keep popping up all the way through the different volumes.

Also, I don't know if it cuts any ice with Goodreads, but the Internet Science Fiction Database, which holds the correct records for all this, counts it as a series. It was where I looked last night to try and understand what had happened here... although it seems to indicate that the series name should just be "The Asimov Chronicles".
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?2...

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The Internet Science Fiction Database is not a site we can use for book data. (And they also don't use the same series definitions we do.)

message 8: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Rivka,
should the series page be created?
For me it sounds more like stories from one or multiple series, than a series itself.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

While I am not really familiar with the details of many of Asimov's works, I do know that he aggressively cross-linked his various universes. Given that we also have a user stating that the books all have characters in common, I think a series is fine.

message 10: by Octavia (last edited Jul 03, 2018 08:22PM) (new)

Octavia Cade | 197 comments They have characters in common, and there is some cross-linking but to be fair it is pretty thin. Olivia's categorisation of it as "stories from one or more multiple series, rather than a series itself" does seem more accurate now that I think about it. What she's done already - unlinking all the separate volumes from the same wrong edition and removing the existing wrong series information - could be enough, to be honest. I can easily tell which book I'm reading/reviewing now, so I'd be happy to have it left as is.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help!

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Thanks for the additional clarification.