2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Infinite Jest

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Jul 30, 2018 11:39AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss David Foster Wallace‘s book, Infinite Jest.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Sean, Scott, Suki, idontknow, DIanne

(This will be a two month read.)

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 136
Week 2: 136
Week 3: 136
Week 4: 136
Week 5: 136
Week 6: 136
Week 7: 136
Week 8: 136

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Ready to read this one it's going to be long but I'm glad it's a 2 month read.

message 4: by Idontknow (new)

Idontknow (cantgetright) | 7 comments I'm game if there are a couple others in.

SPOILER, sort of (hearsay advice about reading).

(view spoiler)

Will probably have to edit this post since I haven't used the spoiler tag before...

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I’ve read about the first 100 pages so far.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Definitely continuing. idontknow you would be welcome to join

message 7: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Idontknow wrote: "I'm game if there are a couple others in.

SPOILER, sort of (hearsay advice about reading).

[spoilers removed]

Will probably have to edit this post since I haven't used the spoiler tag before..."

I have added you to the list of participants!

message 8: by Idontknow (new)

Idontknow (cantgetright) | 7 comments Reading two books atm but when I finish one I'll start IJ. Probably tomorrow or the next day. I heard this book wasn't until 2 more months? But if we are already started... It might take me more than 2 months anyway. I truly have attempted this one many times; it's a stumbling block for me.

Have we officially started, or should I wait? Thanks for reply.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Yes the read is July and Aug. we can extend beyond that if necessary

message 10: by Idontknow (new)

Idontknow (cantgetright) | 7 comments Officially started (again). Skipped over a few small parts I know and read several times. Don't know if it counts if I skip skim parts I've already read multiple times... ?

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Do u always try and read this book straight through? This books so far appears something like pulp fiction times 1000. Where pulp fiction has about 3 stories and a seemlying random order of 7 cut up scenes so time jumps around. IJ seems sort of like this but much more so. MAybe reading the chapters in a different order would be useful. Say in time order by storyline.

Right now I’m reading straight through

message 12: by Idontknow (new)

Idontknow (cantgetright) | 7 comments Heheh yeah I've heard a lot about it in passing but never paid attention to anything specific. In a spoiler above I mentioned I had heard there are other methods of reading it (I heard the same thing about JJ's Ulysses), but I would try reading it straight through anyways.

I see it as, first run through at least, it was written in this order for a reason (or not; but this is the way it's presented), might as well humor it. Afterwords, can go back through more leisurely, or see what others thought and how they recommend reading it. At lest then you can follow their arguments a bit better. Thanks for the heads up, and I am indeed reading straight through this time (again).

It is kind of [almost] amusing going back and forth between chapters about Tennis and Alphabet agencies though.

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I have noticed in the table of contents the chapters are getting longer. The first few chapters were about 10 pages. Now they are about 50 pages. And the last chapter is like 500 pages which would be almost half the book. Weird...

message 14: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Mck. (diannemck) | 57 comments I know I'm late but I'd like to join. I've started several times but want to start over and give it a go. Is this okay?

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Sure this is a two month read so welcome aboard.

message 16: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments DIanne, I have added you to the list of participants!

message 17: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I'm about a third of the way. OMG.. I can't believe the stuff in this book. A book about addiction that is itself addicting.. Was Wallace a Prophet??? ... Not literally but this book has some similarities to current events/people ...

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I'm about 2/3 though this book is really good so far.

message 19: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Mck. (diannemck) | 57 comments Mary Pat wrote: "DIanne, I have added you to the list of participants!"

Thank you, Mary Pat. I am officially starting today.

message 20: by Scott (last edited Aug 20, 2018 08:44AM) (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Well I finished all the regular pages. Not sure I'm finished though might need to go over some stuff again and the end notes.

The book was really enjoyable .. but

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Mck. (diannemck) | 57 comments I was having trouble with the book itself because of all the words I didn't understand. I've just purchased it for my Kindle which will make that part a lot easier. Determined not to give up.

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I found the book went pretty fast once I got going. It takes awhile because it’s long but I found the book very engaging so the time spent feels very enjoyable.

(view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Infinite Jest (other topics)
Ulysses (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Foster Wallace (other topics)