Stephen King 2022 read-along discussion

Night Shift
This topic is about Night Shift
July 2018 Discussions > Changing it up with a short story collection

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (last edited Jul 02, 2018 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa Chung (bingereader19) | 180 comments Mod
Hi everyone. Half of the year is over! I can't believe it. Crazy, crazy, crazy. So far I've completed 4 out of the 6 books. How well have you guys been doing? For July and August I wanted to change it up and have us read short story collections. Throughout the month let me know what short stories are your favorites.

I wanted to look up the movie adaptations for these short stories if there are any in case you guys were interested in watching the films. I will be leaving the title of the movies below along with the page number the short stories start at.

MOVIES

Children of the Corn (1984)- "Children of the Corn" (pg.380)

Cat's Eye (1985) consists of 3 short stories two of which are based from this collection- "Quitters, Inc." (pg. 320) and "The Ledge". (pg. 282)

Maximum Overdrive (1986)- "Trucks" (pg.204)

The Lawnmower Man: A Suburban Nightmare (1987)- "The Lawnmower Man" *Don't confuse this with "The Lawnmower Man" movie from New Line Cinema...King sued them for using his title* (pg.306)

Graveyard Shift (1990)-"Graveyard Shift" (pg. 73)

The Mangler (1995)- "The Mangler" (pg. 128)

No Smoking (2007)-"The Quitters, Inc." (pg. 320)

T.V. Shows

Sometimes They Come Back (1991)- "Sometimes They Come Back" (pg.228)

Trucks (1997)- "Trucks" (pg.204)

Children of the Corn (2009)- "Children of the Corn" (pg.380)

Here's a link for 58 of King's adaptations: https://io9.gizmodo.com/all-56-single...

Good luck this month everyone. Hope you are all doing well.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Smith | 176 comments Mod
I'm taking a break this month because unfortunately Night Shift is one of the only King books I don't have a copy of!! I'll be back in August for Different Seasons though, super excited about that one!

Kimberly | 35 comments i started tis one but have only read the first story... also need to finish Thinner. Thanks for the list of adaptations. makes my life a little easier lol.

message 4: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 15, 2018 07:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kimberly | 35 comments So two short stories in and I ask myself... What the h#!!. He writes about some weird things sometimes lol.

message 5: by Markie (new)

Markie Hicks (markielynnhicksaolcom) | 18 comments I ordered nightshift yesterday it said it will take 2-4 business days to get here so hopefully it gets here before this month is over

message 6: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 15, 2018 07:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kimberly | 35 comments I have currently read up to The Mangler... so far my reaction has been WTH. The Mangler is my favorite one so far. I also enjoyed the movie to Graveyard shift more then i enjoyed the short story lol... currently watching The mangler

Kimberly | 35 comments ugh... watching The Lawnmower man and it's not the right one... i can't find the correct one though and this one is JUST BAD!

I've decided to bring Night Shift with me on my camping trip. I for some reason did a horrible job at reading this month.

Kimberly wrote: "I have currently read up to The Mangler... so far my reaction has been WTH. The Mangler is my favorite one so far. I also enjoyed the movie to Graveyard shift more then i enjoyed the short story lo..."

So happy to hear you've been watching the movie adaptations. Where did you find them?

message 10: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 30, 2018 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kimberly | 35 comments Melissa wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I have currently read up to The Mangler... so far my reaction has been WTH. The Mangler is my favorite one so far. I also enjoyed the movie to Graveyard shift more then i enjoyed t..."

some on netflix and some i've been renting on youtube... because netflix doesn't have them all unfortunately. The only one i haven't been able to find anywhere is the correct Lawn Mower man