Colleen Houck Book Club discussion

The Lantern's Ember
This topic is about The Lantern's Ember
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Chats > The Lantern's Ember Q & A

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Colleen Houck | 1429 comments Mod
Welcome to the chat! Colleen will be answering questions during the month of November 2018. One lucky person who asks a question anytime between now and then will win a prize pack!

Louise | 49 comments Will there be any link between The Lantern's Ember and the Reawakened series? Especially considering that the three brothers have otherworldly ties?

message 3: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley | 67 comments What kind of research went into this book? What was your favorite part about writing it?

message 4: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (MiakaHiranai) | 10 comments With how meticulous you are with your stories how do you categorize what you will write next? What gets your writing juices flowing?

Lauryn Jacqueline (LaurynJacqueline) | 2 comments Why is halloween your favorite holiday? Was it always? What made you want to write this type of book, with this theme? Will this be a stand alone or more books to come?

Milena (love_tea78) | 38 comments Have you visited Sleepy Hollow and The Great Jack O'Lantern Blaze they hold during the fall?

message 7: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat (katdarehansen) | 2 comments What is the character Ember like? Who or what were your inspirations for her character?

message 8: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan (superstitiousbibliophile) | 2 comments Why did you decide to write this book? Or what inspired you the most?

message 9: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley | 67 comments Please tell me this will be available in an audio format?

message 10: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (MiakaHiranai) | 10 comments With all your books each one has a character that stands out and broadcasts "I'm awesome" with tigers curse its Kishan and with Reawakened it was Ahmose is there going to be one in Lanterns Ember?

Miranda ❤️ (MirandasBookBlog) | 24 comments Will this be a standalone or part of a series? Also, will there be any to romance in this story? I cannot wait to pick this one up on release day!

Kelly Risser (Kar2b) | 3 comments What inspired you to bring a steampunk element into this book, and how challenging was it for you to do so? (I love steampunk, btw!)

message 13: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah McIntyre (Nothinglessthansevenpages) | 2 comments Why did you decide to write this story as a standalone novel and not as a series? And was this process different from your past novels?

Louise | 49 comments How do you pick up the courage to follow through with your ideas? Is there a way to block out those inner voices and just keep writing.

message 15: by Skydust (new)

Skydust Shine (SkydustShine773) | 1 comments In The Lantern's Ember, I was confused at the end. Was Ember the daughter of the boogieman?

message 16: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley | 67 comments Do you decorate for Halloween or dress up? If you do dress up what’s your favorite costume?

message 17: by Yara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yara (yaratr) | 5 comments You tied everything up nicely at the end, but will you write any stories to say what happens to the side characters? I’m mostly interested in the vampire :)

message 18: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Arroyo | 45 comments Love your Indian and Egyptian series. Love, love, LOVE THEM!!! Has it been one of your goals to write a book, or a series, with a Halloween theme?

message 19: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Arroyo | 45 comments When creating thoughts and ideas for The Lantern's Ember, were there any particular ghost stories you liked or discovered that some of the fans may not know about?

message 20: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Arroyo | 45 comments When writing The Lantern's Ember, was it different when it comes to describing the characters, the scenery compared to the Tiger's and Reawakened series? Like for me, I felt different when writing a sci-fi short story compared to contemporary fantasy novels

message 21: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Arroyo | 45 comments How was the cover design for the book decided? Were there other ideas in mind before choosing the skull and bugs??

Louise wrote: "Will there be any link between The Lantern's Ember and the Reawakened series? Especially considering that the three brothers have otherworldly ties?"

That's an excellent question. Funny thing. The book I just finished writing is a sci-fi type of novel and I just figured out a way to connect that one with all my worlds in one giant mega book. It totally blew my mind. Not sure I'll ever do it. But it could be done. How you might ask? I'll give you one big hint. Trees.

Ashley wrote: "What kind of research went into this book? What was your favorite part about writing it?"

I've always loved Halloween. First, there's the candy. Not that dumb fruity stuff. I shove that in my hubby's direction. I'm talking chocolate. Eh, except for fake chocolate like Tootsie Rolls. He gets those too. Unless I'm desperate. Wait a second, I got sidetracked. Where was I? Oh, research. Other than researching chocolate, I found stories of the origins of Halloween, specifically stories of Jack O' the Lantern. One tale spoke of him being too good for hell and too evil for heaven so the poor guy had to stand at the crossroads between the two and guide other people. Other stories said he was smart and tricked the devil when he came calling by chasing him up in a tree and trapping him there or having him turn into a coin and stuffing him into an onyx-lined wallet, that sort of thing. That makes me think of the devil went down to Georgia dueling fiddles song.

Anyway, I loved that idea. Then I wanted to incorporate all the fun Halloween characters and symbols like black cats, bats, pumpkins, the headless horseman, witches, ghosts, vampires, etc. I even threw in the Loch Ness Monster and the Invisible Man for kicks.

Sarah wrote: "With how meticulous you are with your stories how do you categorize what you will write next? What gets your writing juices flowing?"

It's hard to say. I love a lot of things and have certain directions I want to go but editors sometimes push me in a different place. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I didn't plan on writing Egypt after Tigers. I was heading in an Angels direction but I had Egypt on my to do list and I just moved it to the top.

Lauryn wrote: "Why is halloween your favorite holiday? Was it always? What made you want to write this type of book, with this theme? Will this be a stand alone or more books to come?"

I'd love to head back to this world at some point. These characters were really fun to write. In fact, I wouldn't mind doing other holiday-themed books. I think Halloween is my favorite because my birthday is in October and it's the start of the holiday season. Fall is my favorite time of year. Much more fun to me than winter. I hate being out in the snow.

Milena wrote: "Have you visited Sleepy Hollow and The Great Jack O'Lantern Blaze they hold during the fall?"

No! Tell me more. That sounds like fun. I'll have to investigate. =)

Kat wrote: "What is the character Ember like? Who or what were your inspirations for her character?"

Ember is a little bit like my sister. She's very spunky personality-wise. She's kind-hearted but driven to accomplish her desires and doesn't mind using her feminine charms to get what she wants. I rather like her.

Megan wrote: "Why did you decide to write this book? Or what inspired you the most?"

I've always wanted to do a Halloween book. I watch Halloween movies every year and decorate my entire house. When I have guests they get little gift bags with holiday-themed swag including books if I can find them. One year I found some paperback Halloween themed romances for my sisters and thought it would really cool to write my own.

Ashley wrote: "Please tell me this will be available in an audio format?"

We haven't sold the rights to this one in audio yet. I hope we will someday. I'd love to hear Jack's and Dev's voices. Not to mention Delia's. There are some awesome characters in this book that would be really fun to listen to.

Sarah wrote: "With all your books each one has a character that stands out and broadcasts "I'm awesome" with tigers curse its Kishan and with Reawakened it was Ahmose is there going to be one in Lanterns Ember?"

I'd say it's got to be Dev. Who doesn't love a brooding vampire? Especially one who dresses in the latest steampunk fashions, has every succubus in the Otherworld chasing after him, and who's vampire kiss could knock any unsuspecting witch right off her broom?

Miranda ❤️ wrote: "Will this be a standalone or part of a series? Also, will there be any to romance in this story? I cannot wait to pick this one up on release day!"

This one is a standalone for the time being. I hope you got your copy!

Kelly wrote: "What inspired you to bring a steampunk element into this book, and how challenging was it for you to do so? (I love steampunk, btw!)"

I love steampunk too but I was nervous about writing one. I'm much more comfortable making up worlds than writing actual history so I thought incorporating steampunk into my Halloween world would be the easiest way to give it a try.

Hannah wrote: "Why did you decide to write this story as a standalone novel and not as a series? And was this process different from your past novels?"

I had just finished my Egyptian trilogy and I needed to write one more book for Random House under my contract so I came up with my standalone Halloween idea. The process of writing it wasn't any different for me than my other books except that I had to tie up all the loose ends in just one book.

Louise wrote: "How do you pick up the courage to follow through with your ideas? Is there a way to block out those inner voices and just keep writing."

Some days it's easier than others. Usually, when I'm in the middle of a story, it goes fine. If it was just me writing stories and there wasn't any worry about contracts or selling or money, I'd be happy every single day. I love writing as most writers do. We wouldn't do it if we didn't love it. It's the pressure to be successful to not fail that makes us fearful. This is what we struggle to let go of every day. We need to constantly remind ourselves that we write for the love of the craft. Having said that, there is the very real fact that we have to pay bills. It's a tricky balance.

Louise | 49 comments Colleen wrote: "Louise wrote: "Will there be any link between The Lantern's Ember and the Reawakened series? Especially considering that the three brothers have otherworldly ties?"

That's an excellent question. F..."

Thanks- if there is a connection to Reawakened, I'm hoping that the faeries might be involved.

Skydust wrote: "In The Lantern's Ember, I was confused at the end. Was Ember the daughter of the boogieman?"

Spoiler******Look away look away

She was! She was the daughter of the boogeyman and the high witch so she has vast untapped power.

Ashley wrote: "Do you decorate for Halloween or dress up? If you do dress up what’s your favorite costume?"

Mostly I decorate. I hate being hot. I dress up for my book events more than I do for Halloween. My favorite book event costume so far has been for The Lantern's Ember. You can check out that one on my Lantern's Ember tour report. It's a steampunk witch mashup. The bustle lights up, with pumpkin lights, FYI.

Yara wrote: "You tied everything up nicely at the end, but will you write any stories to say what happens to the side characters? I’m mostly interested in the vampire :)"

I am interested in that vampire too, hubba hubba. Er...just dated myself. Anyhoo yes I love the side characters. I wouldn't mind doing a romance story between Delia and her werewolf captain and Dev and a future love either.

Natalie wrote: "Love your Indian and Egyptian series. Love, love, LOVE THEM!!! Has it been one of your goals to write a book, or a series, with a Halloween theme?"

Yes. I've always loved Halloween and I've always wanted to write a book tied to it somehow. I finally got my chance. Maybe I can tackle leprechans someday. ;)

Natalie wrote: "When creating thoughts and ideas for The Lantern's Ember, were there any particular ghost stories you liked or discovered that some of the fans may not know about?"

I didn't spend any time on ghost stories. I'm saving up my ghost stories for a western when I revisit Wes in Texas. ;)

Natalie wrote: "When writing The Lantern's Ember, was it different when it comes to describing the characters, the scenery compared to the Tiger's and Reawakened series? Like for me, I felt different when writing ..."

It's definitely a different world. With the tigers, it was mostly magic based in the real world. In Egypt I was able to take you out of the world and literally into space and the afterlife. This one was on a completely different plane of existence. World building is one of my favorite parts of writing.

Natalie wrote: "How was the cover design for the book decided? Were there other ideas in mind before choosing the skull and bugs??"

This one was totally the brainchild of my publisher. I was envisioning Jack seated atop his covered bridge, his hand on his pumpkin. I really like the lightning bugs addition.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful questions! The winner of The Lantern's Ember chat is Hannah! Congrats and thanks so much to everyone who participated and for all the great questions and support. You guys are all awesome. =)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.