The Fandom Entries & Monthly Readathons discussion

Pride and Prejudice
This topic is about Pride and Prejudice
Buddy Reads > Pride and Prejudice Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lou, Book Queen (last edited Jul 02, 2018 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou (aliceinbagend) | 527 comments Mod
You are welcome to join in if you want. As of now, me, Cordelianne, and Hailey are reading a volume of Pride and Prejudice a week. (there are three volumes)
Starting Sunday 1st July, ending 22nd July.
And discussing each week's worth on Saturdays. There will be spoilers in here, so onlookers be aware.

Cordelianne | 97 comments Yeah I am already at chapter 11 and so far it is easier to follow than I was expecting it to be :)

message 3: by Lou, Book Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cordelianne wrote: "Yeah I am already at chapter 11 and so far it is easier to follow than I was expecting it to be :)"

IKR the reason I put this off in the first place is because I thought it'd take me forever and I'd get lost in it, but I'm loving it so far!

Hailey | 20 comments yeah so far this is a very enjoyable read

Cordelianne | 97 comments I finished the first volume today. I am really enjoying it so far! Let me know when you are both done as well and than we can discuss :)

message 6: by Lou, Book Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Volume 1

Just finished vol. 1 this morning, but like all my Saturday's being so busy, this is a little late.
I love Mr and Mrs. Bennett, they have me in stitches. Stupidity and sarcasm in this book is everything.
I'm already wanting to give this book 5 stars hands down. I love everything! Have you guys seen the BBC TV show of this? Or the movie? I haven't seen the movie, but the TV show is so similar! Even some of the dialogue is exactly the same! I need that director to direct my favourite books x))
And like I said in my status updates of this book, I'm get such bad second-hand embarrassment from this book (well done Austen for making me feel for these realistic characters x)) like Caroline Bingley's attempt to flirt with Mr. Darcy, gurl stop trying. and when, was it Sir William?, was trying to get Darcy and Elizabeth to dance x/ xD
So far, my favourite character is Bingley, and of course Eliza.
Which personality out of the Bennett girls do you think yours is close to? I've found I'm a mix of all, although I'm not sure about Kitty because we haven't learnt too much of her yet.
Ew and then Mr. Collins! I feel sorry for Mary though, it seems she had feelings for him. But I feel even more sorry for Charlotte. She lives by the "happiness in marriage is only a matter of chance" rule, I feel so sorry for women living in those times.
What are your thoughts on Vol. 1? This is surprisingly fast-paced for a classic. Definitely more fast-paced than Sense and Sensibility. Have you read any others from Jane Austen?

Hailey | 20 comments I have enjoyed this read so far. I thought the plan Mrs. Bennet had to make jane stay over at the Bingleys place was creative. I love the banter Mr. Darcy and Eliza have and how jealous Caroline gets. I do agree that it is sad that Charlotte has that kind of look on marriage. I have read sense and sensibility and I do enjoy this more fast pace book. I also do admire the progression that Mr. Darcy is showing. How at first he did not even want to dance with Eliza ( even tho he doesnt dance) and now he is just captivated by her manner and presence.

Cordelianne | 97 comments Pride and Prejudice is my first book by Jane Austen and I may have finished the book this morning.. Sorry, but I could not stop reading, because I was too engrossed in the book! I really loved it, something I was not expecting at all, but I won't go into more detail until the both of you have finished the book :)

The first volume was a bit slow for me and I had to get used to the writing style, since it is a bit old fashioned compared to the language nowadays. Eliza is a delightful character and I also really enjoy Jane. I am not sure which sister I would represent the most, I think a mix of Jane and Eliza, since I can be quite headstrong as well. I have never seen the movie or the tv show, but I did just watch the trailer and I will probably watch the movie soon!

message 9: by Lou, Book Queen (last edited Jul 09, 2018 05:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cordelianne wrote: "Pride and Prejudice is my first book by Jane Austen and I may have finished the book this morning.. Sorry, but I could not stop reading, because I was too engrossed in the book! I really loved it, ..."

Ha! I don't blame you, especially because you didn't know what happens. I'm going to stick to the original plan though, mainly because I'm still working so I can't binge read the whole book like every instinct inside of me is screaming at me to do! I definitely recommend the TV show (I binged watched the entire series before I read the book >;D), I've watched parts of the movie on Saturday and though it's similar to the book as well, I think the characters and everything seems more natural in the BBC TV version. But tell me what you think of it once you've watched it!

Cordelianne | 97 comments Hahah I will to be honest I didn't have the time to binge read it, since I still have an exam on Friday, but well sometimes the temptation is to great... No shame though :)

Hailey | 20 comments so finished volume 2. I have got to say. I am really voting for mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. I am however not okay that Mr. Darcy broke up Mr. bingley and Jane. I am do engrossed with this book, its great!! :)

Cordelianne | 97 comments Hailey wrote: "so finished volume 2. I have got to say. I am really voting for mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. I am however not okay that Mr. Darcy broke up Mr. bingley and Jane. I am do engrossed with this book, its gr..."

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

message 13: by Lou, Book Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oops I forgot to add my status. I feel sorry for Darcy, though if she'd accepted they would both hate each other til the rest of their days. But Mrs. Bennet cracks me up so bad. "My comfort is, that (Jane) will die of a broken heart and then (Bingley) will be sorry" xD love it!
I've already ordered all of Jane Austen's other books, she's becoming one of my favourite authors!

message 14: by Lou, Book Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hey Hailey, are you finished? I finished it yesterday (but I had tons of jobs to do, so I listened to most of volume 3 on audiobook)
I LOVED this book! I loved how Mr. Darcy changed his manners and had a whole character development for Eliza.
Agh! I loved it so muchhh! I loved Mr. Bennet as well. He's so witty and sarcastic, he's one of my faves. Mrs. Bennet acts just like my Grandma (God rest her soul) it's uncanny :P
I liked how we got to see what happened to everyone after they all got married, you didn't get to see that in the Bbc adaptation.
I'm going to be obsessing over this book for a long time.
It's left me wanting MORE.

Cordelianne | 97 comments LydiaMae wrote: "Hey Hailey, are you finished? I finished it yesterday (but I had tons of jobs to do, so I listened to most of volume 3 on audiobook)
I LOVED this book! I loved how Mr. Darcy changed his manners and..."

Hahaha same interested in buddy reading any other novels by her/any other classics?

message 16: by Lou, Book Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cordelianne wrote: "LydiaMae wrote: "Hey Hailey, are you finished? I finished it yesterday (but I had tons of jobs to do, so I listened to most of volume 3 on audiobook)
I LOVED this book! I loved how Mr. Darcy change..."

Yass, that'd be great! But I'm going away in a few days, and I might be gone for a few weeks. I've already read a lot of Austen's other books, but Persuasion and Mansfield Park I've still got left to read.

Hailey | 20 comments I finished on Friday and I LOVED it. I love how everyone was surprised by the engagement of liza and Mr. Darcy and I also am a fan of Jane austen's work. This was a fabulous read and I'm do happy we did it

message 18: by Lou, Book Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hailey wrote: "I finished on Friday and I LOVED it. I love how everyone was surprised by the engagement of liza and Mr. Darcy and I also am a fan of Jane austen's work. This was a fabulous read and I'm do happy w..."

Same! and Mrs. Bennet saying how awful Darcy is and then when she finds out they're engaged she's like 🤑🤑🤑

Cordelianne | 97 comments LydiaMae wrote: "Cordelianne wrote: "LydiaMae wrote: "Hey Hailey, are you finished? I finished it yesterday (but I had tons of jobs to do, so I listened to most of volume 3 on audiobook)
I LOVED this book! I loved ..."

This was my first any recommendations which one to read next?

message 20: by Lou, Book Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hmm I'm not sure... Northanger Abbey is a quick read but with a bit of an anticlimax compared, I remember loving Sense and Sensibility but I read it when I was about 13 so I don't remember much of it. I'm reading at the moment Emma and though I'm near the start, it's a really fun read. So it depends what you're in the mood for...

Cordelianne | 97 comments LydiaMae wrote: "Hmm I'm not sure... Northanger Abbey is a quick read but with a bit of an anticlimax compared, I remember loving Sense and Sensibility but I read it when I was about 13 so..."

Oh okay not sure which one I will be starting with than. Thanks for the advice!

message 22: by Lou, Book Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just finished my review of P&P! Here's the link if you're interested!
Thanks so much for this buddy read, I really enjoyed it!