LITTLE BOOK CLUB discussion

Random/Anything :D > Reading - When? / Where? / Bookmarks

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanya (new)

Vanya | 13 comments Hey guys! I was just wondering when and where people prefer to read. Do you have a favourite place or an allocated time slot? Also what do you use as your bookmark/s?

P.S. Sorry if a similar topic already exists. I couldn't find one. ;)

I live in a shared household so most of the reading I do is done in my room. I shift between my desk and my bed. I don't really have an allocated time slot per say, but my life is busy, so whenever I have a free minute, I would try and fit some reading. In the past year, I've tried to create a routine of about two hours every day. Usually one in the morning and one right before I go to bed. Sometimes I can't even fit 20 pages in. I would use anything that fits between the pages - leaflets, random notes, food packaging, pens, etc. If I decide to read on public transport, I would often have my business card or a cool leaflet.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 14 comments I usually read in my room or in the car if I'm on a long car ride. I don't usually have specific reading times either i just read whenever but its kinda hard cause i have to catch up on my shows as well. I have one real book mark i usually use folded pieces of paper or tissues.

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 13 comments I love this topic! I also live in a shared household, therefore I read in my room for a large majority of the time. If no one is in the house, I will read on the couch when it is light out.

I mostly read at night, and if I have time on the weekend, I will read in the morning.

I have two bookmarks, one is green and the other is one Powell's book city gives to you after a purchase. :)

message 4: by Kaojoua (new)

Kaojoua (juniebooks) I usually read in my living room because it has super comfy couches and the most natural lighting, which is a super plus for me.
There isn't a set time when I read, but since it's summer, I do most of it during the day.
As for bookmarks

message 5: by Kaojoua (new)

Kaojoua (juniebooks) Whoops. Accidentally submitted my response too soon.
Anyway, I have a Harry Potter calendar where you can tear off a page each day for the new day. Each page has a picture (with the exception of weekends which have quotes or facts), and I use my favorite pictures as bookmarks. :)

message 6: by Miguel (new)

Miguel Deschain | 11 comments Most of the times i read in my room, if not i like to read in the living room.

And for the bookmarks i use all sort of things, like tickets, coins, pencils, etc.

message 7: by Cas (last edited Aug 04, 2014 06:02PM) (new)

Cas (cascannotread) I find it difficult for me to read in front of people - mostly because it's noisy and too much of a distraction - so, most of my reading is done in my room, specifically on either my desk or my bed. I don't really have a specific time slot for my reading, I just try to read whenever I'm free. If it is a weekday, since I have school, I will most likely read before I go to bed, or before dinner time - depends on how much homework I have, and how tired I feel

As for bookmarks, I basically just use a piece of paper. I have used all kinds of bookmarks in the past, and I found that sometimes the bookmark can ruin the page of the book, or fall out if the bookmark is too thick. So, a plain piece of paper seems to work best for me :)

Great topic by the way :D

message 8: by Diessica (new)

Diessica Finlay (diessicafinlay) | 23 comments I don't have a specific time during the day to read. I read when it's possible. Usually I have some time in college, between classes and before sleep.
If I'm at home I read in my room, shifting between bed and my chair. But if there is no one at home, I read on the couch.
I love bookmarks. I lost the count of how many of them I have. Most of mine are of the books, so I take it in the bookstore or I receive from authors when I buy theirs books. Only two of my bookmarks I bought... those are really cute!

message 9: by Camila (new)

Camila | 13 comments I like to read at night, before I sleep (this is usually a problem because if I'm loving the book I may stay awake all night reading it hahaha)
And I always read in my bed, I live in a very small apartment with my parents so the only place where I can read is my bed os the chair in my desk...
But I don't like reading on my bed because I sometimes read for 4 or more hours and my head aches if I stay all this time laying down :(

And a I use a book mark that my boyfriend gave me on our first christmas together, is a long piece of metal that you stick to the page kinda like a paper clip with a metal/crystal little crown that shows on the top of the book, very cute

message 10: by Alida (new)

Alida (alidaenid) | 3 comments For me it depends on the book, there are some books that I can't stop reading so I read in the train, the bus, eating, on the sofa, waiting for my mom to pick me up...if is a really good book I completely forgot about my surroundings :) But mostly I read in my room.
For bookmarks I tend to use pencil, or a receipt, or I just make my own bookmark with a piece of ribbon :)

message 11: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Satchwell When: If I have free time I try to crack open a book. When I can't sleep I'll start reading. If I'm recommended or my fave author has a book at a fair price or on the shelf of my local library I read.

Where: Mainly on the couch, toilet, in my car, and on a bench outside my apartment building.

I mainly use homemade bookmarks (That I or my PenPals make) or free ones I get from my local library.

message 12: by Ivy (new)

Ivy (ivmcan) When: Most of my free time. If I'm not a work or sleeping I'm usually reading. I have to small breaks every few hours, which is normally when I watch videos about books. And if I can't look at an actual book I'm generally listening to one.

Where: Most of the time I read in my room, on my bed or at my desk. I'll occasionally venture out to my couch, and I bring a book with me everywhere in case I get some down time.

I love bookmarks. My favorites are from my favorite bookstore here in CO, the Tattered Cover. They aren't super fancy, but I love the shop and it makes me happy to have the little reminders of my favorite place scattered around my bookshelves.

message 13: by Nicole (last edited Aug 07, 2014 01:40AM) (new)

Nicole (lunakaos) When: In the afternoon or evening. I almost never read in the morning I usually have stuff that needs to be done in the morning.

Where: It use to always be in my bedroom but now we have these cute little two seaters in the living room I use the one sitting against the windows to read in.
Though my favourite place I've ever read was at a beautiful beach front restaurant in Port Douglas (QLD, Australia)sipping cocktails, and if I could do that every day I would be very happy.

Bookmarks: I use to use a variety of things but when I left the pharmacy a few months back a workmate gave me a gorgeous metal bookmark from the Art Gallery in New York and now I pretty much use that exclusively. If I am reading two books at once I use one of the many bookmarks from the Book Depository for the secondary read.

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (theaveragebookworm) | 15 comments I usually read either on my bed or on my living room couch. Considering it's summer and I usually read every chance I get, if I'm back in school I try to read when I don't have any large amount of work. I'll usually read then before bed. Considering I always lose bookmarks I usually just use a piece of paper or try to remember the chapter number :)

message 15: by christine (new)

christine (eggowaffles) I always read on my bed, often times falling asleep by accident (but only because my bed is too comfy haha). I usually use this one penny on my bedside table as a bookmark, either that or another book placed in between the pages x)

message 16: by Stephen (new)

Stephen  Alff (AlffBooks) (alffbooks) | 440 comments Where and when? whenever and wherever I can: getting up, car trip, bus trip, train, lunch break, coffee break,...

bookmarks: anything flat enough and not too much bigger than the book(or smaller of course), I usually don't buy bookmarks but sometimes on holidays I might pick up a souvenir bookmark(I have two from Florence and one from hamburg for example's sake) :)

Caz (littlebookowl) (littlebookowl) | 114 comments Mod
When? Usually before bed, but if a read-a-thon is happening then 24/7!

Where? My bed, or my chair - the only two places to sit in my room, aside from the floor. I don't like reading around other people.
HOWEVER, I sometimes also go down and sit by the lake or beach for some fresh air and sunshine!

Bookmarks? I have a LOT of bookmarks, so I use some of those. In case of an emergency I'll use a tissue or scrap of paper. But I have like 50 proper bookmarks, so I make use of those :)

Celine The Bookish Queen (celinethequeen) When: Pretty much any time I can but my favorite time to read is either before bed or right after I wake up.

Where: I like to sprawl out on my bed and read there. It's so comfy!

Bookmarks: I get some when I buy books, from the library and others lying around the house. I don't really buy bookmarks anymore.

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 40 comments When? In the morning when I don't have to go to work. If I do work then basically as soon as I get home in the late afternoon. I used to be able to stay up late and read but now I just fall asleep holding the book.
Where? bed, living room sofa or chair, futon/couch in my 'library' aka spare bedroom
Bookmark? legit bookmarks I've gotten for free (or super rarely bought) from someplace, business cards, or postcards mainly.

message 20: by BookNerdTori (new)

BookNerdTori When: All the time, or when University starts whenever I have a spare moment like between classes or before bed.

Where: my bed, my desk chair, the lobby in my dorm, classrooms when I'm not paying attention, (Yeah I'm that person.) or in my living room.

Bookmark: I collect bookmarks. I use them every time. I try use the color of the bookmark with the book cover and sometimes I just use my favorite Harry Potter Slytherin Book mark.

message 21: by Kendra (new)

Kendra maidment (kendra_maidment) When:whenever I can

Where: anywhere except in cars, my bed is my favorite place though.

Bookmarks: I make myself bookmarks so if I lose them it wouldn't be a big loss

message 22: by Rita (new)

Rita | 3 comments When: It is always before bed, but if i am participating in a read-a-thon, then i read whenever i can :)

Where: In my bed i can't read anywhere else. I don't know any place more comfy than my bed !!

Bookmarks: i use the ones that i get from bookstores, from the book depository and if i don't have any around (coz i lose bookmarks all the time, then i'll make one myself :D

message 23: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelrose) | 20 comments When; I don't actually read that much if I haven't found a book I cannot stop reading. I mostly read before bed and on my way to/from school. Oh and I also read a lot when it's thundering because I can't use Internet or any electronics then.

Where; In my bed, on the bus on my way to/from school and on the couch in the living room if it's a really interesting book.

Bookmarks; I literally have no legit bookmarks, they don't sell fun bookmarks at any of my local bookstores and the boring ones costs almost as much as a paperback book????
So instead, I use papers, receipts etc

message 24: by Jana (new)

Jana (penguininabluebox) When: Always on the bus on the way to and from school, often before bed and sometimes at some point during the afternoon. On the weekends, in bed after waking up before breakfast.

Where: Preferably in my reading armchair (my favourite place). A lot on the bus though and quite a bit in my bed.

Bookmarks: I have tons because I buy a Harry Potter bookmark calendar each year. I also got a couple of fun ones with other books.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

When: Every car trip that I am a passenger, with a cup of tea in the morning before work, before dinner with a cup of tea, after dinner in bed before turning off the light

Where: On my couch, in our rocking chair, at my desk during lunch, in the car, sitting on our back porch on weekends

Bookmarks: I have many different ones, and ALWAYS use them in my books

Ateeninwonderland | 26 comments When: at breakfast, on the bus to/from school, whenever i don't have school work and sometimes in the car (but the only way not to feel car sick, i find, is to listen to music at the same time)

Where: on the bus, at college, on my sofa and bed

Bookmarks: i never use them because when i do they always seem to fall out of the book and i loose my place, so instead i tend to use the receipts i get after buying the books or more often than not i just bend the corner of the pages :s

message 27: by Carola (new)

Carola (itscarolag) | 16 comments When? whenever i'm free
where? usually my room, but sometimes i like reading in the living room buy only when i'm home alone
Bookmarks? i have a lot of bookmarks so i usually use them, but in case of an "emergency" a little piece of paper or a tissue seems fine

message 28: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilybannister) | 41 comments I like reading in my bed, on the couch or just anywhere really. I normally read after school or before bed because I don't have time in the mornings. With bookmarks I have a few! one with my name, 2 magnetic ones, random paper and when it comes to "emergencies" I have to fold the page corner although I hate ruining books. :D

message 29: by Ana Luisa (new)

Ana Luisa (analureads) When? Usually in the morning before I go to uni, between classes and a little bit at night if I'm not too tired.

Where? In my bed or in the living room (if no one's home), at uni and sometimes in the car or bus (if it's a long journey).

Bookmarks? I love bookmarks! I have a big collection that I got from publishing companies and I make myself many too. I also use the ones i buy when I'm travelling (I always get souvenir bookmarks). I usually match the colour of and book and the one from the bookmark ;)

message 30: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Gutilla (caitgutilla) When - I always read in the morning. I shower, eat breakfast, then read for a good 40 minutes until I have to get ready. Then throughout the day I read whenever I have the time!

Where - I always sit on the corner of my couch, or I lounge in bed. When I'm at school I'll sit on one of the lobby couches and get comfortable.

Bookmarks - I'm a dedicated Kindle user, so I never use bookmarks.

message 31: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (writingsofabibliophile) | 3 comments When? Whenever I have free time, usually in between classes or after I've finished homework.

Where? School or at home specifically on my bed at home and probably at a table at school.

Bookmark y/n? Yes in every book I am reading there's a bookmark of some sort, whether it be a receipt or a bookmark I've bought or even a decorative tag from a piece of clothing.

message 32: by Ivy (new)

Ivy I read whenever I can and wherever. I mostly read on my bed when I'm at home but if it's nice outside I have this bench thing I read on. For a bookmark I have my friend make me a new one every year from a stick note. I "retire" then after the years up but my last one was lost a week before :(.

message 33: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 10 comments When? Whenever I have the time: between classes at college, at home in the evening before bed, or when I wake up if I don't have to be somewhere right away.

Where? My bed, outside, the couches or tables at school, my desk at work, my car on breaks/lunch.

Bookmark? I use the Kindle app on my tablet a lot, but when I do read a "real" book I usually use Magic cards. My mom likes to buy me actual bookmarks, and I have a long piece of ribbon I like to use sometimes too, though.

message 34: by Lilian (new)

Lilian (random_girl_here) | 19 comments When? Whenever I can, but mostly when I am in a car (not driving of course)

Where? Car, my bed, a big massage chair I have but it needs to be turned off.

I mostly get my bookmark from my local library but I recently looked up some bookmarks from Google and downloaded those and printed them out and use them.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gibson | 1 comments When? Whenever I can but usually when I get back from work

Where? Living room, bedroom, in the garden when it's warm

Bookmarks? Yes I love bookmarks. I usually buy them from the local bookstore who sell them really cheap.

message 36: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  Dracula (cindydracula) I read during class breaks.

My book marks are Pokemon cards. I use only the Eveelutions and color coordinate them with the book I'm reading.

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  Dracula (cindydracula) I read during class breaks.

My book marks are Pokemon cards. I use only the Eveelutions and color coordinate them with the book I'm reading.

message 38: by Ana Luisa (new)

Ana Luisa (analureads) Matthew wrote: "Terra wrote: "I read during class breaks.

My book marks are Pokemon cards. I use only the Eveelutions and color coordinate them with the book I'm reading."
color coordinate? Thats not strange at ..."

I colour coordinate my bookmarks with my books as well! Good to know I'm not the only one hahaha

message 39: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilybannister) | 41 comments When?
Sometimes I try and read in the morning before school and I normally read after I get back from school and before bed.
Where?
On my bed or couch.
What?
A new poppy bookmark I got from the Australian War Memorial, one with my name or just bits of paper.

message 40: by Yesenia (new)

Yesenia Gomez | 2 comments I read at school, home, or in the car.

I read on my bed or couch

My bookmark has all 11 doctors on it from doctor who

message 41: by Jessy (new)

Jessy (BlameNargles) | 8 comments I usually read in my bedroom or out in the livingroom while moms watching television. I don't have bookmarks, I use clothing price tags or whatever I can find around the house. Sometimes i'll update my current page into goodreads.com

message 42: by Lovisa (new)

Lovisa (fantasynerdandiknowit) | 33 comments I love reading in my bedroom. I read before I go to bed, when I wake up and sometimes I even bring my book to school. That's usually not as enjoyable to me though, because it's difficult to read without being interrupted. But yeah, at home mostly.

message 43: by Felisha (new)

Felisha | 11 comments I usually read on the bus to and from work, and in the breakroom on breaks. I don't always read at home, but I'm trying to more, and I just sit on my couch, snuggled under a blanket.

For bookmarks, I have special ones that I've bought that are The Hunger Games and Divergent themed, as well as a few random ones I've picked up from the library. I just use whichever one strikes my fancy when I start a new book.

message 44: by Alba (new)

Alba (lostt-in-wanderlust) | 7 comments I usually read in my bedroom or in the living room.
I try to read as much as I can so when I have free time I read a lot but usually I read before going to sleep.
Since I usually read on my ebook(I prefer real books but in Spain books are super expensive) I dont really need a bookmark but when I read a real book I use a really cute bookmark i got for my bday or some from an independt bookstore where I usually buy books.