Play Book Tag discussion

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
This topic is about Perfume
June 2018: Magical Realism > (+Listopia) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind, 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hilde (last edited Jul 03, 2018 12:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind - 3*

What a weird book! I struggled a bit with this as it was so, so weird..

(view spoiler)

annapi | 5159 comments Yes, it is weird! I liked it a little better than you, I think. It was certainly creative, and I was glad I read it just for the experience. But the character was most unpleasant.

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments I agree, it was interesting and very different from anything else I have read! I think I need to see the movie as well, curious to see how the story is told on the big screen.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments This was a strange book and I got my book club to read it with me.

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments Absolutely a good book to read with a book club.

message 6: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2672 comments I love this book, though it isn’t at all my usual thing - it is so weird, and downright creepy. But the writing is so beautiful and the use of scent as a theme is very cleverly done. I also admire the skill with which Suskind can get the reader to vaguely understand Grenouille’s motivations and even feel a twist of sympathy from time to time despite the fact that he is the most unattractive and freakish character imaginable. I read it in German first (when my German was a lot better than it is now!) and was blown away, and then I equally enjoyed it in English a few years ago. I’ve no particular desire to read it again but it’s a book that’s stayed vividly with me.

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments You make some excellent points, Kate! Glad you enjoyed it:)

Sushicat | 805 comments I appreciated it a bit more than you as well - the book, not the main character.

BTW: glad I read the book before your review. I feel there is a bit too much of the story line revealed. I would label it as spoiler.

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments Thanks Suchicat, I have labeled it now.

message 10: by Barbara M (last edited Jul 03, 2018 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I read this book when it first came out, many years ago, and it blew me away! It was nothing like anything I'd read before. . . or since actually. I remember that I found the writing to be terrific and the story very clever. Of course the protagonist wasn't loveable but it was actually, amazingly, easy to sympathize with him but not like him. The closest thing I ever found to it would be Interview with the Vampire.

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments I can relate to that, definitely not like anything I read before - very creative! Glad you enjoyed it :)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments I did not like this one at all!

message 13: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 440 comments I couldn't finish this book ~ it was too weird and creepy for me.

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments I didn't particulary enjoy this either, though it had some redeeming qualities 📚