Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Sharp Objects on HBO

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects has been made into an HBO mini-series starring Amy Adams and will air on July 8. That's one I have not read so I will be watching. Love Amy Adams!

message 2: by Karly (new)

Karly | 342 comments I just started the book yesterday. Plan to finish it up and then watch!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15060 comments I enjoyed the book and look forward to watching. It was a long time back and I don't remember many details. The family was quite dysfunctional as I recall.

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments i read the book so long ago that i don't remember details, either, ann..lol
have my DVR set to record it,

message 5: by Karly (new)

Karly | 342 comments Anyone been watching? I started and have watched the first 2 episodes. I’m actually not sure if I think it’s good, or if it’s trying to hard. Would be interested to hear other people’s opinions!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15060 comments Karly: I watched the first episode and I will watch the next one soon. My husband thought it was pointless and decided to not watch another but he likes action more than psychological drama and slow building plots.
I didn't get the same visceral feel from the television show as I did from the book but I could tell they were trying to set the steamy atmosphere I recalled. I had perhaps misremembered the book as set in Memphis for Camille's journalism career escape from Wind Gap MO - but the city where she was a reporter in the tv series appears to be St Louis.
I like Amy Adams as Camille.

message 7: by Karly (new)

Karly | 342 comments Agree, I’m going to keep watching and see how they build up the steamy atmosphere and continue to build psychological suspense. We shall see how it goes. They definitely changed the city of her journalism career. Overall I think too early to tell! I’ll report back after a few more episodes. :)

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments I taped the first episode but haven't watch it yet. Somehow the 2nd didn't tape and I finally figured out that my free HBO promotion must have ended. I'm torn between re-joining or waiting until HBO has another free prom

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15060 comments Karly: thanks for confirming my memory of Memphis as the location in the book.
Carol: it’s getting crazy with all of the various networks getting exclusive shows we want to watch, as if we had time to watch enough on all of the premium networks to make the cost worthwhile.

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Ann wrote: "Karly: thanks for confirming my memory of Memphis as the location in the book.
Carol: it’s getting crazy with all of the various networks getting exclusive shows we want to watch, as if we had tim..."

I know what you mean about the cost of the premium networks. My husband pays for Dish, so we have most of them. He's a TV junkie, especially sports. If I were paying for it, we'd have a much smaller package and the only premium we'd have would be HBO because I'd really miss Real Time with Bill Maher!

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments I finally watched the first episode and was pretty underwhelmed by it. Do subsequent episodes get better?

message 12: by Karly (new)

Karly | 342 comments Yes! I felt the same by the first episode. But after a few it really gets good. Something I totally missed until I went online and read up about the show is that there are hidden words all over the place in the show that you really have to pay attention to see. This is a subtle nod to Camille’s words that flare up as you read in the book. It adds another layer to the show which is nice. Overall I find the show to be a great visual representation of the southern, humid atmosphere that the book takes place in. It’s worth continuing! Season finale tomorrow :)

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15060 comments Sherry I've watched three episodes I think. DH didn't like it (said there was no action) and I thought it was ok but didn't leave me with the same atmospheric feeling I got from the book. so now I am relegated to watching late nights when i don't think I will fall asleep. Lol.
It's actually a couple of weeks since I have watched one, so I guess that says something, but intend to keep watching. I am curious about how it will play out on screen.

Sherry wrote: "I finally watched the first episode and was pretty underwhelmed by it. Do subsequent episodes get better?"

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15060 comments Karly: wow, interesting about the hidden words! I will watch for those! Thanks!

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments thanks, karly and ann for the feedback. very interesting about the hidden words! i watched it while i was walking on the dreadmill and instead of making my walk go by faster, it just seemed to take forever yesterday morning! lol
i'll watch another episode and see if it picks up for me.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15060 comments Sherry: while probably a typo I loved that you were watching while walking on the “dreadmill” 😀😀

message 17: by Karly (new)

Karly | 342 comments LOL “dreadmill” sounds about right to me! 😆

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments Ann wrote: "Sherry: while probably a typo I loved that you were watching while walking on the “dreadmill” 😀😀"

no typo, ann. was intentional..lol

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sharp Objects (other topics)