The Classics Book Club discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby > Study Question

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Katie (neonyetireads) What are some of The Great Gatsby’s most important symbols? What does the novel have to say about the role of symbols in life?

Katie (neonyetireads) I think an important symbol was the green light that showed Gatsby Daisy's house. It represents the fading dreams and I really liked how that was tied into the whole story overall. Gatsby has tons of symbols for his wealth and dreams.

Crunchy Pickle (CrunchyPickle) | 11 comments This is my favorite passage in the whole book

And as I sat there brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity …

Crunchy Pickle (CrunchyPickle) | 11 comments I love imagining him reaching out for that light across the misty waters.... in vain.

It's one of the best symbols in all of American literature.

message 5: by Norm (new)

Norm (NormB) | 3 comments The eyes from the old advertising hoarding are mentioned several times. They are watching all the goings on and are neither approving or disapproving.

I loved this novel. Previously read some of his short stories from 'Tales of the Jazz Age'