I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading right now? > What are you reading right now? (July 2018)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate (last edited Jul 01, 2018 05:42PM) (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 581 comments Mod
What are you reading this month? Have you tried any new creators or series recently? Have you read anything that you'd recommend?

message 2: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments I am trying to finish the disaster known as the Wicked + the Divine.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments This weekend I read Batman: Heart of Hush as part of out local Comic shop book club. this book was very enjoyable and a nice addition to the Hush mythos, I cant believe i had never read it. Also it is very timely as the story involves Batman and Catwoman. Also Dustin Nguyen watercolor covers and pencils, what else could you ask for.

message 4: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's comic shop run:

Weapon X 20- most of the team went bad last issue. Guess what? Warpath disagrees and he's really pissed.
Man of Steel 6- the miniseries ends with several surprises and a new status quo for Superman
Justice League 3- if they're going to use the Justice League Unlimited line up they should bring back the show, dammit.
Ant-Man and the Wasp 3-misadventures in the Mircoverse continue for Scott and Nadia.
Avengers 4- Secrets Revealed! Several surprising deaths! Thor and Hulk make out!
Green Arrow 42- ace archer vs. power stealing villain
Nightwing 46- the mystery of Wyrm continues, guest starring Batgirl
Red Sonja/Tarzan 4- more jungle and sword action as Tarzan's family is hunted
X-Men Gold 31- aftermath of last issue's amazingly stupid decision and Rachel has her head screwed with.
Batman 50- It's... a non-event. I'm disappointed and annoyed.
Catwoman 1- Follow up to Batman 50 and I'm not getting #2.

message 5: by Scott (last edited Jul 05, 2018 07:54AM) (new)

Scott Finished 'Kill or Be Killed' trade paperback #1. Incredible! A dark thriller, but not too horribly dark (e.g. 'Uber').

message 6: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 642 comments Mod
I BLAZED through 僕のヒーローアカデミア 13 Boku No Hero Academia 13 when I snagged it from the library.

I also sat down and read a lot of the Physical singles I had:

- Uber: Invasion #8-13
- Sex Criminals #22-25
- Saga #50-53

Now... I need to tackle the last few weeks of digital issues I have...

message 7: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Scott wrote: "Finished 'Kill or Be Killed' trade paperback #1. Incredible! A dark thriller, but not too horribly dark (e.g. 'Uber')."

Glad to hear you liked it, Scott! I really hope you continue with it because the end is real good!

message 8: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Whitney wrote: "I am trying to finish the disaster known as the Wicked + the Divine."

Whoa. Not a fan of this series? What's your beef?

message 9: by Whitney (last edited Jul 08, 2018 09:08PM) (new)

Whitney | 221 comments Mike wrote: "Whitney wrote: "I am trying to finish the disaster known as the Wicked + the Divine."

Whoa. Not a fan of this series? What's your beef?"

I was so disappointed by this series. I waited a while to get to it because I was sure I would love it. The art is gorgeous and I have absolutely no complaints about that. It’s the plot and direction they chose that put me off. I thought the plot was too scattered and vague. The story reveal was too drawn out for me, for what it was. There were at least two volumes that were very well done, but the overall series wasn’t consistent, so each volume felt like a hit or miss. They were also always talking about progressing civilization and inspiring people in different ways, but I felt like we didn’t even get to see the results of that. They were just pop stars who threw parties. Sure, music can change lives, but it felt overall too superficial. Too much talking about meaning when the writer didn’t do anything with it.

Sure, I was frustrated and exaggerating when I wrote that comment last week, but that was because I was comparing the series to a GREAT series like Saga or Paper Girls, or any series that causes me to really connect with the characters and story. So, the Wicked and the Divine isn’t a 10, but it isn’t a 1 either. I’d give it more of a slightly above average score. The art is a 10, though.

Sorry, didn’t meant to write so much. Thanks for the question; I really enjoyed answering it. Don’t get to talk comics much. :)

message 10: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments This week I read Babyteeth and loved it! I’m making my way through Southern Bastards now. At first I wasn’t too sure if it was my taste but im getting into it now. It is well done but I feel like the first volume was lacking something. The second volume was better. I’m on a southern kick. There’s something about the American southern environment that I like.

message 11: by Chad (new)

Chad | 829 comments Whitney wrote: "This week I read Babyteeth and loved it! I’m making my way through Southern Bastards now. At first I wasn’t too sure if it was my taste but im getting into it now. It is well done but I feel like t..."

I told you you'd like Babyteeth. It's the best horror comic out there right now. And I agree with you on Wicked & Divine. I thought it had its moments but the story is way too drawn out and complicated. It's turning into the next Morning Glory where at a certain point you no longer have a clue what's going on and you're only still reading it because you've already invested a lot of time in it.

message 12: by Jakub (new)

Jakub Kvíz | 16 comments Lot of stuff right now...

Isola by Brenden Fletcher & Karl Kerschl is visually stunning and the story is starting to making more sense after isse #3

Oblivion Song by Robert Kirkman and Lorenzo De Felici is not doing the trick for me so far. The art is meh at best and I just can’t relate to any of the characters. I’ll probably drop this after issue #6 and switch to TPBs.

Gideon Falls by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino is awsome. Really creepy urban horror/rural mystery with fitting art. Can’t wait for the next issues.

I am also slowly finishing final chapters of Royal City, Kill or Be Killed and Descender and each of this series is pure greatness!

And still enjoying new issues of Saga, Animosity and The Walking Dead.

message 13: by Chad (new)

Chad | 829 comments Dominick wrote: "huge DOCTOR WHO fan from waaay back before the "reboot" in 2005. Now reading the new Titan comic featuring the 7th Doctor and written by Andrew Cartmel, the script editor during that Doctor's last ..."

I'm going to need to check this out. I'm been a fan since the Tom Baker days. (They used to show Doctors 3-6 in reruns on PBS here in America when I was a kid.) I thought Titan did a pretty good job on the comics for Doctors 10 and 11.

message 14: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Jakub wrote: "Lot of stuff right now...

Isola by Brenden Fletcher & Karl Kerschl is visually stunning and the story is starting to making more sense after isse #3

Oblivion Song by Robert Kirkman and Lorenzo De..."

Glad to hear someone else is enjoying Isola!

message 15: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Dominick wrote: "huge DOCTOR WHO fan from waaay back before the "reboot" in 2005. Now reading the new Titan comic featuring the 7th Doctor and written by Andrew Cartmel, the script editor during that Doctor's last ..."

I've never read any Doctor Who comics, got any favorites--maybe for someone who's sort of new to Doctor Who (I started with the 2005 series)?

message 16: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Whitney wrote: "Mike wrote: "Whitney wrote: "I am trying to finish the disaster known as the Wicked + the Divine."

I was so disappointed by this series. I waite..."

Oh, the payoff here is... very long winded(?). I think it's getting there and when we get it all laid out it'll be cool, but I agree it's taking a bit of time. I know Gillen said that they're in the last arc (or two?) of the series, so we'll see it come together pretty soon, but it's been a long run.

I know that's okay for some people -- I'm cool with it, just like I'm cool with East of West being so goddamn long but constantly smouldering -- but I can also see why this would be... annoying? There's a lot of patience needed for a series like this and with everything else we may be reading, it can be like... "come on, get to it." I know I've been there with WicDiv before. I enjoy the book, but there have been a few issues where the tension or the dragged out response really, well, drags.

That being said, when the series hits and we get big pay offs? I always end up forgiving and forgetting those moments of "pain." Hell, they're worth it for those pay off moments. (Or at least that's how I justify things haha)

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee Robb | 13 comments I just finished the Bitch Planet series and accompanying Triple Feature. It was AMAZING! Just what I needed right now - non-compliant, kick-ass women who don’t take no crap from nobody. I am hoping there will be more in this series.

message 18: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments Chad wrote: "Whitney wrote: "This week I read Babyteeth and loved it! I’m making my way through Southern Bastards now. At first I wasn’t too sure if it was my taste but im getting into it now. It is well done b..."

Thats exactly how I felt! It became a chore to read but I was just reading it to finish.

message 19: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments Mike wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Mike wrote: "Whitney wrote: "I am trying to finish the disaster known as the Wicked + the Divine."

I was so disappointed by this..."

I'm more of a fan of series where the journey makes the shitty ending (if there is one) worthwhile instead of having a lackluster story but a great end.

Hmmm, East of West is drawn out as well? That makes me even more curious to read it and see if I like it or not! Some comics (like the Walking Dead) are slower, but I still enjoyed (most) of the painful parts. With the Wicked and the Divine, I just didn't enjoy enough of it.

message 20: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments Dee wrote: "I just finished the Bitch Planet series and accompanying Triple Feature. It was AMAZING! Just what I needed right now - non-compliant, kick-ass women who don’t take no crap from nobody. I am hoping..."

I can't wait to read these! Glad to hear it's really good!

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee Robb | 13 comments @Whitney, have you read The Rat Queens series? I really enjoyed them, as well.

message 22: by Francis (new)

Francis | 134 comments I actually popped out to a real comic book shop and picked up Batman #50 and Catwoman #1, I'm sort of pleased with the way the storyline is picking up treads from Tom King's run on Batman, so I'll need to do some catch up on the issues I've missed out on up till now. I enjoyed Catwoman, and think I'll pick it up as a regular purchase and see how the first couple of story arcs go.

I'm still reading the Love and Rockets book collecting Maggie the Mechanic, which I really enjoy as it can be picked up for a quick five minute read here and there.

Digitally I picked up Sheriff of Babylon Volume 1, because I'm trying to make my mind up about Tom King.

And then I'll need to get started on My Hero Academia Vol. 1 for the book of the month, I'd already started watching the anime after it was recommended in the IRCB Zine in May, so I'm curious to see how it compares in two different mediums. I also realised I picked up the My Hero Academia floppy on Free Comic Book Day, and I'm not sure where that will fit into my reading.

message 23: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Whitney wrote: "Mike wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Mike wrote: "Whitney wrote: "I am trying to finish the disaster known as the Wicked + the Divine."

I was so disappo..."

Totally understandable. If you dive into East of West, let me know what you think! I've been reading it since issue #1 and I LOVE it!

message 24: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Francis wrote: "I actually popped out to a real comic book shop and picked up Batman #50 and Catwoman #1, I'm sort of pleased with the way the storyline is picking up treads from Tom King's run on Batman, so I'll ..."

I need to do this as well (Hoping Midtown Comics will have some of those books left!)

message 25: by Chad (new)

Chad | 829 comments I'll second both East of West and Rat Queens as great series.

East of West is drawn out (as most stories by Jonathan Hickman tend to be). It's a dystopian alt-future western with spectacular art and coloring.

Rat Queens is basically a raunchy D&D adventure party in a comic book. It follows around 4 female adventurers who get themselves in all kinds of trouble. It's often laugh out loud funny. The stories here are mainly stand alone.

message 26: by Francis (new)

Francis | 134 comments Mike wrote: "Francis wrote: "I actually popped out to a real comic book shop and picked up Batman #50 and Catwoman #1, I'm sort of pleased with the way the storyline is picking up treads from Tom King's run on ..."

I was lucky, I got the last of each in my store.

message 27: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Very irked that we had to major build ups to two different super hero weddings and got... well, what we got, just in case of spoilers. I don't get the thinking there.

message 28: by Francis (new)

Francis | 134 comments Wayland wrote: "Very irked that we had to major build ups to two different super hero weddings and got... well, what we got, just in case of spoilers. I don't get the thinking there."

I only followed the Bat and Cat nuptials storyline, was the other one X-Men?

I understand why you are irked. I think there's been to much focus on creating hype, yet I am excited by the conclusion of the Batman issue, and really want to see where it goes next.

Overall though on Tom King's Batman run I'm worried his cliffhangers are so much better than his resolutions. It's beginning to remind me of Dan Brown's writing style.

message 29: by Scott (new)

Scott Mike wrote: "Scott wrote: "Finished 'Kill or Be Killed' trade paperback #1. Incredible! A dark thriller, but not too horribly dark (e.g. 'Uber')."

Glad to hear you liked it, Scott! I really hope you continue w..."

I will once I get a chance to pick up the next vol. Thanks!

message 30: by Scott (new)

Scott Finished Curse Words vol. 1. Another great series so far!
Once my budget is under control I need to pick up vol. 2 of Curse Words and Kill or Be Killed.
Some good reading and artwork out there these days!

message 31: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's run:

Suicide Squad 44-DC's strangest road trip concludes.
Titans 23- tension on the team as they try and adapt to their new mission.
Hawkman 2- more unknown history of the winged wonder
Xena 6- off to see the Oracle of Delphi
Domino 4- Dom tries to get used to her new teacher as the rest of the posse looks into her past.
Flash 50- Flash War ends and all the speedsters lose a power
New Mutants 5- the team goes to this creepy mansion on Bleeker Street...
Thrawn 5- finishing the tale of Thrawn's rise to power
Red Sonja 18- Sonja tries to complete her new quest
Quicksilver No Surrender 3- he's still stuck in a frozen world, but can he get some help?
Plastic Man 2- the whackiness continues
Ms. Marvel 32- Kamala and Bruno try and test her powers jst in time for an unwelcome visit from someone else's bad guy
Champions 22- the team deals with issues from other titles effecting their members and goes to try and help out in Africa.

message 32: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments Rereading Fables (one of my favs)
Spider-Gwen Vol 4-5: Angsty and fun
Sideways #1-6
Ghost Omnibus vol 3

message 33: by Kate (new)

Scott wrote: "Finished Curse Words vol. 1. Another great series so far!
Once my budget is under control I need to pick up vol. 2 of Curse Words and Kill or Be Killed.
Some good reading and artwork out there th..."

I really liked Curse Words, Vol. 1: The Devil's Devil too! It was a lot of fun. What will you be reading next?

message 34: by Kate (new)

Wing Kee wrote: "Rereading Fables (one of my favs)
Spider-Gwen Vol 4-5: Angsty and fun
Sideways #1-6
Ghost Omnibus vol 3"

I am eternally meaning to read Fables. What makes it one of your favorites? Do you have a favorite volume or issue?

message 35: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 98 comments By the way, I saw the monthly thread was closed where somebody mentioned The Kamandi Challenge, but that's one I got from Hoopla this month and really enjoyed, so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee Robb | 13 comments I LOVE the Fables series. They are well drawn, witty and have engaging characters. I think I am about 10 volumes in...maybe 12. I like the fact that the characters are ‘recognizable’ without being predictable in the storyline. Fables was the series that really got me hooked on graphic novels, in fact.

I am currently reading Kill Shakespeare and some novels in the Dresden Files series. Also going to try The Wicked and The Divine.

I am a teacher off for the summer, so I have lots of free time for reading right now. Anyone have any other recommendations for me? I only recently got back into reading comics and graphic novels. I love The Mighty Thor series with a female Thor, as well as The Rat Queens and Bitch Planet. Any other suggestions?

message 37: by Kate (last edited Jul 12, 2018 04:19PM) (new)

Dee wrote: "I LOVE the Fables series. They are well drawn, witty and have engaging characters. I think I am about 10 volumes in...maybe 12. I like the fact that the characters are ‘recognizable’ without being ..."

That sounds wonderful - I will have to try it!

I love Wicked + Divine. Have you ever read I Kill Giants? If not, that would be my recommendation.

There are a lot of other great ideas on IRCB's Recommended Reading Challenge list.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee Robb | 13 comments Odd question - how do I copy and paste in here? And how do I quote someone’s comment? This is my first and only goodreads group ;)

message 39: by Chad (new)

Chad | 829 comments Dee wrote: "Odd question - how do I copy and paste in here? And how do I quote someone’s comment? This is my first and only goodreads group ;)"

Just hit reply on a comment to quote it.

To copy and paste you do it like you would in any other application on your computer. Highlight the text you want to copy and either right click and hit Copy or hold down Ctrl + C on your keyboard. Right click again and hit Paste or Ctrl + V on your keyboard. These commands are for Windows, a Mac is virtually the same except you use the Command key instead of Ctrl.

message 40: by Dee (new)

Dee Robb | 13 comments I need to be on the website not the app, probably??

message 41: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments I Seco do Fables. Soooo good

message 42: by Chad (new)

Chad | 829 comments Dee wrote: "I need to be on the website not the app, probably??"

Yep, The app is terrible It'll be a lot easier to do from a computer. But there should be a way to do it with whatever device you are using, you can just google it. Copying and pasting is the same for any app you are using.

message 43: by Chad (new)

Chad | 829 comments Kate wrote: "I am eternally meaning to read Fables. What makes it one of your favorites? Do you have a favorite volume or issue? ."

The basic premise is that all of the Fables used to live on their home worlds until they were taken over by the Adversary. Those who escaped now live here on Earth and have done so for hundreds of years hiding among us.

The series is consistently fell written. Bill Willingham has created a unique comic full of all of the folklore and tales we grew up on but with an adult twist. The series is full of heart, adventure, backstabbing, courage, and second chances.

I'm on my third go around with Fables now. First I read the single issues. Then again in trades. Now I'm reading the Deluxe reissues. The Deluxe hardcovers are the format I'd suggest. They're all priced at $30 and generally contain 2 of the trades. As far as where to start, start at the beginning. It's a great introduction to the kind of things you can come to expect in the series.

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee Robb | 13 comments I have read most of the Fables series through iBooks and kindle. I have a few of the deluxe editions I have managed to find at thrift shops. I don’t mind reading them in a device (I prefer real books, but don’t mind these digitally). Some editions are cheaper than others, and I have been able to get several through my library’s digital catalogue or via inter-library loan. Saves me a ton of money!

message 45: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments The prose novels, Cinderella books, single story graphic novels and Fairest is also quite good.

Jack of Fables is not bad...it’s just that he’s a rather unpleasant and annoying character to have a miniseries.

I just love this world. I’ve not read Everafter yes though.

message 46: by Chad (new)

Chad | 829 comments Wing Kee wrote: "I just love this world. I’ve not read Everafter yes though. ."

Everafter is terrible. Willingham has nothing to do with it. All the other spinoffs are quite good.

message 47: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments That's sad to hear...

Did y'all play Wolf Among Us?

message 48: by Chad (new)

Chad | 829 comments Wing Kee wrote: "That's sad to hear...

Did y'all play Wolf Among Us?"

I have it on my PS4 but haven't ever played it. It's a Telltale game and they all play the same. The story is by Matthew Sturges who collaborated with Bill Willingham on most of the Fables spinoffs. It's takes place when Bigby was still sheriff of Fabletown. (I did read the comic based on the game.)

message 49: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments I have been pretty busy with a TCG that I am playing so not alot of time for comic books.

Astonishing X-Men by Charles Soule Vol. 2: A Man Called X - the final arc of Soule's run on this book.

Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga Vol. 1 - we read this for our local comic book club, this book is BANANAS! It's like the Batman 66 TV show filtered thru a Manga lens with alot of violence sprinkled thru out. Also some bad jokes and probably some dubious translation. Definitely recommend it at least to check out something different.

My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 - For the IRCB Book of the month.
My thought on that book on the other thread

message 50: by Francis (new)

Francis | 134 comments Wing Kee wrote: "That's sad to hear...

Did y'all play Wolf Among Us?"

I also love Fables, I've read the first four collected volumes, and have the next four ready to read.

I loved playing Wolf Amoung Us, I'm a big fan of the Telltale games I've played, including The Walking Dead, and Batman. It's the closest games come to reading a comic in my opinion.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.