Books and Jams Readalong discussion

The Lake House
This topic is about The Lake House
The Lake House - July 2018 > End (chapters 27-end)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
We made it!! What are your final thoughts/feelings/reactions? What rating will you give this book and why? Any surprises or quotes? Anything else you want to share??

Thanks for reading along this month!!

Stefanie | 12 comments I am not done yet, I am on Chapter 30. I said on the middle section that I don't think Anthony killed Theo just because the right answer to a mystery usually isn't revealed to the characters only halfway through the book.
Having just discovered for sure that Theo is Ben's baby, I really hope Anthony didn't kill Theo! Eleanor does so much to protect Anthony and to protect the kids from Anthony that I have an inkling that maybe her and Ben arranged to have him take Theo somewhere safe, away from Anthony. Still trying to figure out who the slender woman seen in the nursery that night was though. Maybe Eleanor? Maybe Nanny Rose helped?

Rhonda Nelson | 14 comments Wow, I just finsihed this book and I feel like I really accomplished something! I will say that I am so glad I hung in there through the first half so I could get to the satisfying last half. I am not a reader who minds having things "all tied up" in the end so I was very happy with the conclusion and I didn't see all of it coming but I did guess Bertie way before the end and was happy for that reveal. :)
4****

Stefanie | 12 comments Rhonda, I am also glad I hung there! I just finished as well and it definitely got better after the slow start and I ended up really enjoying it. I didn't guess the Bertie reveal but was glad Theo/Bertie was kept safe and that they were reunited with him. It was a satisfying conclusion.

Jennifer (jenniferc01) | 6 comments I just finished. I guessed correctly the Ben/Theo connection. The ending of the book was sweet. It was worth the slow start. I will definitely read more of Kate Morton's books.

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) I finished last night and have mixed feelings about the ending. I liked everything up until the Bertie reveal. I felt that was a little bit contrived. Sadie had been working on the car for weeks and he didn’t know anything until seeing a picture? That bothered me for some reason. This was a 2 star read for me because of that part of the ending.

message 7: by Susan (last edited Jul 13, 2018 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan | 8 comments I finished the book today. I gave it 3.5 stars. I didn't love this book, and I probably would have given up on it had I not been doing the read along. By the time I got to chapter 20 or so, I began to wonder what was going to happen and wanted to finish it. At the very end, when Bertie/Theo was revealed, I was shaking my head. Just too convenient and rather implausible. When I think about the whole mystery of what happened to Theo, I wonder if it was all really worthy of a 500+ page book. I like Kate Morton, but this was my least favorite of hers, so far.

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments I finished The Lake House last night and loved it! I'm giving it four stars only because Kate Morton does get a bit descriptive in places. I guessed most of the ending before I got to it. Once I realized that Eleanor and Ben took Theo to keep him safe, I also had a feeling that Theo and Bertie were one and the same. The ending was a bit contrived but I loved it anyway. I was happy with the outcome and I actually do enjoy some of the long roads KM takes to get where she's going. I'm glad Krista picked this book for the read-along as it had been a while since I read a KM book. Thanks for another great read-along, Krista!

Elsa 4 stars. I am glad I stuck with it. I thought it was a pleasant read, but what a lot of words to get through! I suspected Bertie for a while. I might wait a while before delving into another book by Kate Morton.

message 10: by Berna (last edited Jul 22, 2018 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Berna | 64 comments I just finished the book and I did not like the ending. Bertie and Theo, a big big big coincidence and it was not really believable that Bertie did not look at the pictures while he was talking to Sadie about the case.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the stories of Sadie's daughter and her current case for the first time in the last quarter of the book.

And I also I liked Morton's writing although I thought the book could have been shorter.

I was thinking of giving it solid four stars but because of the ending, now it is 3,5 stars rounded up to 4.

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa (brandnewbooksmell) (brandnewbooksmell) | 6 comments Finally finished this book and LOVED IT!! Kate Morton is a master storyteller!