Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

The Pick, The Spade and The Crow (The National Crime Agency #1)
This topic is about The Pick, The Spade and The Crow
Book Club Selection > Spoiler Discussion (July 2018) Value Read - The Pick, The Spade and The Crow, by Bill Rogers

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 4084 comments Mod
******* THIS THREAD MAY GIVE INFORMATION AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T READ OR FINISHED THE BOOK ******

This is a spoiler thread for the July Value Book Read: The Pick, The Spade and The Crow, by Bill Rogers
Post in here if you wish to comment on the book and discuss details that may spoil or give away important or pertinent details for those who haven't read or finished the book yet.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 565 comments I finished this one and I will say that for me it got better after the 50% or so mark. I liked the character of Joanne and thought the whole Mason connection was interesting.

The beginning was weak with the approach of setting up the team and the investigation. I also felt that it seemed like there is no real "team" approach to the crime solving and I am still unclear as to what most of the team is doing when Joanne is out investigating.

message 3: by David (last edited Jul 12, 2018 01:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

David Gooch | 4084 comments Mod
OK I agree on the Mason connection but the whole NCA just didn't do it for me as it wasn't. It was always Jo on her own and not being funny when you are going to interview potential suspects etc. there are always two, for back-up, confirmation of whats said etc, but in this book we don't get tha,t we just get Jo (The Supercop).
I am sorry but Jo was portrayed as some sort of supercop throughout, solving everything, fighting criminals, discovering abductees etc. all on her own. She could have been a good character but once she became supercop then it became a pretty poor read.
Yes it did pick up a little in the second part but not so much that you would rave about the book and the author.
For me what could have been a really good idea (the masons link) was ruined by not doing the story right.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 565 comments Yes, It does seem odd that she is out alone all the time, I thought more the Lone Ranger than Supercop though :). It definitely had potential to a much better read than it was with the plot ideas, the mason, the crime unit, etc. Like I said I am still unclear as to what the "unit" does. In many regular procedurals that I read, you will have scenes that the team meets daily or every other day and goes over everything they have so far and then assigns out tasks to the team members. The Vera TV show shows this all the time.