Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Nominations Open - Group Read for August 2018

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like to have as our Group Read in August 2018?

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not, you might want to nominate the first book in the series, or the most recent book in it the group has not read together.

Can't remember what we've already read as a group? (Sometimes I can't, either.) There's a "group-reads" shelf on the group's Bookshelf.

Two nominations to a person, please.

message 2: by Kathryne (new)

Kathryne Margaret Pole the Countess in the Tower by Susan Higginbotham

message 3: by Kathryne (new)

Kathryne Anne Seymour by Susan Higginbotham.

message 5: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 229 comments Anne Boleyn by Evelyn Anthony and

The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Gladys Malvern

message 6: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 108 comments I will nominate Anne of Cleves Henry's Luckiest Wife by D. Lawrence-Young and The Spanish Bride by Laurien Gardner .

message 7: by Louise (last edited Jul 02, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Sister Queens The Noble, Tragic Lives of Katherine of Aragon and Juana, Queen of Castile by Julia Fox and Katherine the Queen The Remarkable Life of Katherine Parr by Linda Porter

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments Patricia, we read Sister Queens in February 2015 - so you still have a nomination left.

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine Cazeneuve | 23 comments I would like to nominate The Sisters of Henry VIII by Maria Perry and The Hidden Lives of Tudor Women by Elizabeth Norton. Thanks.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments We read The Hidden Lives of Tudor Women in February 2018, so you still have a nomination left, Christine.

message 12: by Antonietta (new)

Antonietta | 33 comments I would like to nominate " Blood Will Tell" a Medical explanation of the Tyranny of Henry VIII by Kyra Cornelius Kramer and " Catherine of Aragon" by Giles Tremlet. Antonietta

message 13: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 03, 2018 06:57AM) (new)

Kimberly | 2 comments It's not historical fiction but I would like to nominate Guy, John. Elizabeth: The Forgotten Years. The book was named a Costa Biography Award Finalist.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments We read John Guy's Elizabeth: The Forgotten Years in April 2017. (Excellent book.)

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) I will nominate 'Will' by Christopher Rush. It offers a wonderful evocation of late Tudor England as William Shakespeare lies dying, dictating his will to his lawyer . It is a wonderful monologue taking the reader from his humble beginnings in Stratford to the heights of his success in London.

message 16: by April (new)

April | 1 comments I would like to nominate The Hidden Lives of Tudor Women by Elizabeth Norton

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine Cazeneuve | 23 comments April, I nominated that book as well but apparently it was read by the group this past February. Guess we will have to read it on our own :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments The threads are still open, for anyone who wants to read a previous month's choice. (Look further down here in the "Group Reads" section.)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments If anyone has a nomination they would like to make, now would be a good time to make it, as I'll probably be opening the poll later today.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments The poll is now open. You'll find on the front page of the group, at the top of the Polls section, or here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... .

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments If voting closed now (which it does not), the winner, by 1 vote, would be Blood Will Tell: A Medical Explanation of the Tyranny of Henry VIII.