The Catholic Book Club discussion

The Life of Catherine of Sienna: By Her Confessor the Blessed Raymond of Capua
This topic is about The Life of Catherine of Sienna

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manuel Alfonseca | 1700 comments Mod
Use this topic for any quotes that you find memorable, powerful, moving or for any other reason you think they're shareworthy.

Manuel Alfonseca | 1700 comments Mod
From part one, chapter 11:

“My Lord, where were you when my heart was disturbed by all those temptations?”

“I was in your heart,” said the Lord.

Catherine [said], “but how can I possibly believe that you were in my heart when it was full of ugly, filthy thoughts?”

“Did these thoughts and temptations bring content or sorrow, delight or displeasure to your heart?” asked the Lord.

“The greatest sorrow and displeasure!” answered Catherine.

“Well, then,” said the Lord, “who was it who made you feel this displeasure if not I, who was hidden at the centre of your heart? If I had not been there they would have entered your heart and you would have felt pleasure in them, but my presence there caused them to displease you and when you tried to drive them away because they were upsetting you and you failed to do so, this made you unhappy and you suffered. But I, who was defending your heart from the enemies, was hidden there all the time, and though I permitted you to be attacked I was still there."

message 3: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 272 comments I have only just started the book, but I remember this quote from other readings. It really struck me then, and still does.

message 4: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1983 comments Mod
Manuel wrote: "From part one, chapter 11:

“My Lord, where were you when my heart was disturbed by all those temptations?”

“I was in your heart,” said the Lord.

Catherine [said], “but how can I possibly belie..."

I liked a similar passage from a few pages earlier in Chapter X:

Chose, therefore, to have trials and afflictions; endure them not only with patience, but embrace them with delight; they are lasting treasures, for the more thou wilt suffer for me, the more thou wilt be like me, and according to the doctrine of the Apostle, the more thou wilt resemble me in sufferings, the more, also, thou shalt be like unto me in grace and glory.

I cannot think of a more counter cultural message for our current day.

message 5: by John (new)

She gave as a general rule against such temptations [to give up her mortifications], never to dispute with the enemy, for he relies very much on vanquishing us by the subtilty [sic] of his reasons. Chapter X

I have chosen sufferings for my consolation Chapter X

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 735 comments "fortified by silence and hope"

"If this virgin had had no other afflictions during her life than those brought about by tactless spiritual directors she would have been a martyr of patience for that reason alone." -- pretty humorous

"If everyone knew how to use the grace God gave them they would benefit from everything that happens to them." This quote of hers alone is worth the whole book!

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 735 comments "I talked to you, and you would not pay any attention; I spoke to the Lord, and He at once heard my prayer."

"Her heart had such trust in the Lord that it never occurred to her that One so liberal might fail to provide for everyone who came along." (multiplication of food--another miracle that happens today)

"Grant, O Lord, that my memory may be enabled to retain your blessings, and my will burn in the fire of your charity--and may that fire cause blood to spring in my body, that with it, with the love of the Blood, and with the key of obedience, I may open the gate of heaven."

message 8: by John (new)

From Chapter 5:

"Nothing is more dangerous than a fault, however small it may be, when he who commits it does not carefully purify his soul by penance."

"I will place thee in the presence of Pontiffs and the rulers of the Church and of the people, so as to confound, in my way and by this means, the arrogance of the mighty."

message 9: by John (new)

Part II, Chapter 6:

"Open, therefore, the eyes of the mind; be not incredulous but believing."