Shut Up & Read discussion

Stephen King
This topic is about Stephen King
Archives- Buddy Reads > The Dark Tower Series

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments We will begin reading this series. The first book is a graphic novel collection with five sections.

The Dark Tower Series
Book .5: The Little Sisters of Eluria
Book 1: The Gunslinger
Book 2: The Drawing of the Three
Book 3: The Waste Lands
Book 4: Wizard and Glass
Book 4.5: The Wind Through the Keyhole
Book 5: Wolves of the Calla
Book 6: Song of Susannah
Book 7: The Dark Tower

message 2: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments Please use spoilers.

message 3: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Sheri | 12348 comments Mod
Oh my, seriously? I've been thinking about rereading this series for a while. Some of my favorite King writing. When are you starting?

message 4: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments when ever. THe other person reading with me Sunshine, has started the graphic novel already. I have read the first and second book and cant remember much of anything lol. i keep getting stuck in book three. so this will give me that push...

we are taking our time but aiming for about six months, maybe eight to get through it.

would love to have you.

message 5: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Good, so no rush. I will read with you then. I've read the whole series once except for the .5 books. It's been years though.

Sunshine✰✰✰ I finished Little Sisters yesterday. It really has me intrigued about the series. I will try to start The Gunslinger tonight.

message 7: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments haven't read that yet. hope to start tonight. the gunslinger is my favorite.

message 8: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

I got the first two from the library today. I didn't get the graphic novel for the first one, just the short story.

message 9: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments Sweet.

message 10: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments i attempted the graphic. didn't catch me yet. will try again after work. then i will move on to Gunslinger.

Sunshine✰✰✰ I didn't do the graphic novel. I just read the short story too.

The Little Sisters seemed like they should be more important then just some passing characters in a ss. I'm curious if they come up again in the novels, but the intro made it seem like this was just a bonus story. I want to know more about them and what they are and where they come from. The green people too. They sound like some freaky "The Hills Have Eyes" creatures.... then again, I'm a wuss. They creeped me out. LOL.

message 12: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments Hmm I don't have the short only the graphic. I'll search for it later.

message 13: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

The short story is in the book Everything's Eventual. It is a collection of King's shorts...that's where I got it :)

message 14: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments sweet. thank you!

message 15: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Sunshine wrote: "I didn't do the graphic novel. I just read the short story too.

The Little Sisters seemed like they should be more important then just some passing characters in a ss. I'm curious if they come up ..."

I had forgotten what this story was about. It's been YEARS since I read it. I think I'm going to read the rest of the short stories in Everything's Eventual :) And I want to re-read The Talisman now...

I agree that the Sisters could be made into bigger characters. The ominous feel of them, even before you realize what they are, gives the whole story a sort of creepy feeling. If I remember right, they do not make any more appearances, but I know that the green guys do show up later.

message 16: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments I got in get back into King. Strayed away for far too long.

message 17: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments I have slowly started the Gunslinger...

message 18: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

I'm starting it now.

message 19: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments its going slow but it has such a slow feel to it, you know? west like and all. lol

message 20: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

I agree, it is a rather slow beginning.

message 21: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments i just dont remembering it being this slow before, hahaha

message 22: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

So where is everyone? The story picks up after a bit...mostly when Roland starts reminiscing about home. That's where I am now. Him and Jake are in the mountains.

Sunshine✰✰✰ I'm not too far. He is just leaving the town. I went away for the weekend and didn't end up having any free time to read :(

message 24: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments still at the beginning. but i'll get there

message 25: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments so now i am in chapter 21 or 22. he cd stopped working. ugh. lol

message 26: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

I'm listening to it, too. I'm not sure I really like the narrator.

message 27: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments there are two narrators for this book.

message 28: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

There's only one for the version I have...his name is Frank Muller.

Sunshine✰✰✰ I'm now at the point where we are going through Jake's memories and seeing where he came from.

Sunshine✰✰✰ So I'm just past the point where Roland found Jake on the alter.

message 31: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments i'm a little stuck but hoping to remedy that soon. not sure why its taking me this long this time.

Sunshine✰✰✰ So I just read where young Roland fought Cort with the hawk.

This is a tough book! I feel like you don't really progress anywhere. There's just so many flashbacks. Just as you get into the main storyline, Bam! Flashback!

message 33: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Sunshine wrote: "This is a tough book! I feel like you don't really progress anywhere. There's just so many flashbacks. Just as you get into the main storyline, Bam! Flashback!"

Haha, right! I didn't remember it being so slow the first time I read it. It's all set up for later, though.

message 34: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments i know. i flew through it the first time but geez.lol

message 35: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments i guess i've read so many other things since then that caught me first.

Sunshine✰✰✰ So..... I just finished. Have to admit I'm a bit dissappointed at the end. Goes off in a direction I wasn't expecting nor generaly have interest in. But with that said, I will move onto the next book. :)

message 37: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3414 comments I read more and I still trying to remember what I am reading. I think I may remember more once I get to the way station with Jake.