Writers of Color Book Club discussion

A Tale for the Time Being
This topic is about A Tale for the Time Being
Book Discussions > A Tale for the Time Being: Discussion Part 4

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elli (The Bibliophile) (thebibliophilebooks) | 53 comments This is the fourth, and final, discussion for this novel!

Please indicate if your post contains spoilers!

Louise (atrixa) Ooh, I couldn't see this thread yesterday. Ok, so the ending. Was anyone else confused by all the quantum physics stuff at the end? Although, I doubt that you're meant to understand all of it.

message 3: by G (new) - rated it 4 stars

G (gingerrachelle) I was confused and I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. I guess I wanted something more concrete about Nao.

Brianne Reeves (bree_reeves) So, the quantum physics stuff is all multi-verse theory. Essentially, Ozeki is saying that it is possible that our choices change the world. For those choices to change the world, the other choice must be possible and, at least philosophically and possibly mathematically, an alternate to how we live must exist.

I don't know that I liked the ending. It's not that I wanted something concrete about Nao. I was okay with her ending. I just wasn't sure how I felt about the changes in Nao's narrative came about.

Brianne Reeves (bree_reeves) I think what Ozeki has been trying to get at is the inter-relatedness of author-story-reader. By reading, Ozeki is positing, you fundamentally change the story you consume. The author can never be the same for writing. The story can never be the same for having been read. Granted, I think this is a bit of an oddball way of making the point, but I think that is essentially the nature of storytelling that she is trying to point out.

Adira (introvertinterrupted) | 391 comments Mod
It's official, I dislike Oliver's character. I definitely wasn't expecting him to turn into a mouthpiece for Ozeki in the end and sprout the brain of a quantum physicists. I think that the addition of the theory of "other worlds" was cool, but mismanaged. I like the explanation that Brianne gave for why Ozeki added it, but I feel like the ending seemed like it was fluff. Yet, I feel like Ozeki used the Epilogue feature to perfection. In my opinion, the ending could've been just that instead of tacking on the quantum physics lesson.

I feel bad for Ruth an Oliver, it seems like they are roommates as was listed in the last forum. I hate that Oliver's character started off so interesting, but petered off into being this oddball individual. I wanted more from him since he seemed like he was this vibrant being who could've added a lot more to Ruth's side of the story. I feel as if he was just placed in the story to be the "companion" for Ruth who gets the book read to him so that the actual reader of the book can make the connection between Schrödinger's cat theory and reading in general.

Also, did anyone else notice how parallel Ruth and Nao's lives were in terms of characters and life details. For instance, at Jiko's temple, there was a cat and Ruth and Oliver had a cat. Then, Ruth's mom died and she was writing a book about her life and Jiko's death was imminent so Nao was writing a book about her life. Likewise, Oliver is this absent husband/figure in Ruth's life and Nao has an absent figure/father in her life. These parallel's striked me as interesting since you could never really tell who was the reader in the book between Nao and Ruth and who was a part of the actual story.

Louise (atrixa) You know it's funny, I keep reading books lately that reference Schrodinger's cat, I never realised it was so much in the collective consciousness. I hadn't actually noticed a lot of the parallels you mention, Adira, but yes- looking back, there is a lot in Nao's story which parallels Ruth's.

As for Oliver, I felt he was quite flat, especially nearer the end. I feel like there's a lot to happen for Ruth and Oliver after the book's end, because clearly their relationship isn't ideal.

Louise wrote: "You know it's funny, I keep reading books lately that reference Schrodinger's cat, I never realised it was so much in the collective consciousness. I hadn't actually noticed a lot of the parallels ..."

Agreed. Oliver and Ruth seem so disjointed in the way they communicate with each other.

I think it's so weird they talk about parallel universes in the book and Ozeki works in so many different parallels within Ruth and Nao's life. It makes me wonder if maybe they aren't connected across time in more than a reader/writer type of way.

Would any of you be interested in joining a livestream discussion for this book onSaturday (September 13)any time between 12PM-2PM?

Brianne Reeves (bree_reeves) Adira wrote: "Would any of you be interested in joining a livestream discussion for this book onSaturday (September 13)any time between 12PM-2PM?"

Hi, Adira, if you're still looking for someone, I would be able to be available. If you've got it covered, that's cool too.

Cool beans! What time would work for you?

Brianne Reeves (bree_reeves) Adira wrote: "Cool beans! What time would work for you?"

Whenever you guys are planning is fine. I've got Friday off. I'll be up around 11 and good to go by noon. PM me?

Do you mean you'll be up by 11 AM or PM...I'm really bad at navigating time around noon for some reason I always get confused of whether midnight is AM or PM.

Brianne Reeves (bree_reeves) I meant 11 in the morning. Were you planning on a midnight book caper? :)

Lol no no. I just wanted to make sure we didn't show up at different times to the show. I'm going to check and see if Nicole wants to be a part of the liveshow as well and I'll get back to you about this afternoon. In the mean time, can you send me any questions you'd like to discuss so I can draw up an agenda for us all to have? Thanks so much for doing this I really appreciate it.