Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Host (The Host, #1)
This topic is about The Host
Book Discussions > The Host

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ariel Brown | 35 comments The Host is an engagingly well written book. It questions our human right to this planet - and even to our bodies... However the adaption from book to movie, has in my opinion, been very poorly done.

Bittman  (bittman) | 22 comments It also brings up the topic of human nature in how the humans react to the "occupation" when the aliens feel they are doing what is right for the planet and for its residents. They can't understand why we are so violent and treat each other with such ill will while we cannot comprehend that they just want us to be peaceful and respectful towards each other. The end foreshadows the beginning of a peaceful solution. How long that will take to spread depends on how many humans are left untouched and how widespread they are. The two groups we've met so far don't exactly have a means to spread their message to the remainder of the earth and it's survivors, except by word of mouth, but look how long it had been before they even encountered a second group, let alone one that was also amicable to peace between the two species.

Ariel Brown | 35 comments "They can't understand why we are so violent and treat each other with such ill will"

Neither can a lot of people I imagine. The book does make you think though... perhaps the aliens have the right of it... :-)

I only just discovered that there is two sequels to this book - they are on my reading list for this month! Has anyone here read them yet? I would love to know whether they are as good as the first.

message 4: by Bittman (last edited Aug 04, 2014 07:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bittman  (bittman) | 22 comments Ariel wrote: "I only just discovered that there is two sequels to this book"

I am under the impression that they have not been released...or not yet written.

Ariel Brown | 35 comments Oh! thanks Richard... must check the release dates out then. I hope they have been written, and hopefully as well as the first book!

Rose | 201 comments While I loved the concepts in this book, and the descriptions of the various lifeforms the aliens previously lived as, I didn't find it to be very well written (although I had a greater appreciation for the book after having watched the movie).

I'm surprised this is going to be a series. The book never felt like more than a stand-alone.

message 7: by Bittman (last edited Aug 07, 2014 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bittman  (bittman) | 22 comments Ariel wrote: "Oh! thanks Richard... must check the release dates out then. I hope they have been written, and hopefully as well as the first book!"

The same could be said for The Matrix but Hollywood tried it anyway, with mixed results. In this case it is most likely the author who is making the attempt.

Ariel Brown | 35 comments Rose wrote: "While I loved the concepts in this book, and the descriptions of the various lifeforms the aliens previously lived as, I didn't find it to be very well written (although I had a greater appreciatio..."

Hi Rose, I admit that reading the book was not quite the same as listening to the audio book. I listened first - otherwise I would never have bought the book. The reader brings the book to life, better than the movie did... I downloaded the audio book from Bolinda Audiobooks...

Adeba | 12 comments Ariel wrote: ""They can't understand why we are so violent and treat each other with such ill will"

Neither can a lot of people I imagine. The book does make you think though... perhaps the aliens have the righ..."

Oh I didn't know either. I thought it was going to be a stand-alone.
I keep coming up with different answers to the question "why humans are so violent..." and for the last few months, my answer has been: Fear. We are afraid of others, afraid that they will take away what we love most and sometimes our response is cruel. Bullies are afraid that people will call them weak and so they feel the need to demonstrate their 'power' by tormenting their victims.
Jealousy has driven kind people to do surprisingly mean things. But jealousy would not have caused this if the person didn't have this fear that they might not get what they desire. If they believed that they could get it some day or in some other different way, then they wouldn't have been jealous in the first place. At least, that's my opinion for now.