Play Book Tag discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Archive: Other Books > [DECATHLON & LISTOPIA] The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, 3,6 ★

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hilde (last edited Jun 30, 2018 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hilde (hilded) | 441 comments The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Read June 2018 for the January Decathlon (tribute to Linda) and Listopia (1001 books to read before you die).
3,6★rounded up to 4★

The book is set in the Jazz Age in New York, where Jay Gatsby himself is the bright star of the Jazz Age with all that follows. The great parties, the distinctive clothes and the casual lifestyle. But this is only the backstory. Even though there is no doubt that Gatsby is the main character in the book, we meet him through the narrator and I-person Nick Carraway. Thus, it is with a certain distance that we are being introduced to Mr Gatsby, who in the beginning of the book is surrounded by mystery when he appears in his newly acquired and impressive summer palace outside New York in the spring of 1922, where the parties he invites to is nothing like the neighborhood has experienced before. The guests appear whether they are invited or not, and many of them haven’t even greeted the host, who is always in the background.

In the beginning, Jay Gatsby tries to convey an impression that he comes from a rich family, but eventually that appears to be false. He has also had a romance with Daisy, his great love, a few years earlier, that he, despite being married to the very wealthy Tom Buchanan, hopes to win back. In spite of the fact that both Tom and Daisy are born with a silver spoon in their mouths and as such have every opportunity to succeed in life, they are both unhappy in the marriage. Eventually Nick, who is Jay Gatsby's neighbor, will play a key role when Jay and Daisy meet, and during the summer, it will build a drama that will have fatal consequences for all the invaded.

While the plot evolves and unfolds to its fullest extent, we witness the overall cynicism and gratitude of the upper class when important values are at stake. The one we believed was the villain is in reality just a romantic dreamer, whereas those who appeared as victims, both directly and indirectly, are guilty of more than they care to admit. And Nick, who is in the middle of the firing line, gets his life and everything he believed on, inverted and stepped on.

The book is well written, flows easily and is quite entertaining once you are a bit into the book (I found the beginning to drag a little). If the book is great, such as the Great Gatsby himself, I’m not sure. But it is an important book that stands to be read more than once.

Susie I ❤️ Gatsby!

Hilde (hilded) | 441 comments I didn't love it quite as much as I thought I would, but it was still very good :)