Stephen King Fans discussion

Sharp Objects
This topic is about Sharp Objects
Other Books (Non-King) > Sharp Objects- July

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2597 comments Mod
Discuss Sharp Objects here... please remember to mark spoilers for those reading along.

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments i'll be joining this one. I thought I had read it but it was another one of her books.

message 3: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele (mmicee) | 102 comments I litterally just finished reading Gone Girl and now I see this book up here 😮 I am definitely in! I really enjoyed Dark Places as well!

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments Dark place is the one I read.

Jerry Balzano | 123 comments I've read all three of her books, and for me, this one was the most compelling.

Kandice | 4141 comments I second Jerry's opinion. I've read all three and this was the best in my opinion. I've also read a shortish story of hers that was okay, The Grownup.

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments that's exciting to hear! I liked Dark Places, so if this one is even better..!

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments I'm in, just got a copy.

Kandice | 4141 comments I know I have mentioned this someplace else, so forgive me if I repeat, but the fact that Flynn has never written a main character that I actually like, and yet I find her books incredibly compelling, speaks volumes for her talent. It's a rare thing.

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments I read this one last year thinking it was Dark Places. I was really confused and disappointed when the plot went in a direction I didn’t expect and it took me a while to figure out why. I was definitely not the smartest ice cube in the tray that day.

I think Flynn puts her characters in interesting situations, but she has a really poor grasp on how the psychology of her characters would actually play out. For me it results in really out of sync characterization that’s super frustrating, so I haven’t read any of her work since this one.

ElleEm | 260 comments Kandice wrote: "I know I have mentioned this someplace else, so forgive me if I repeat, but the fact that Flynn has never written a main character that I actually like, and yet I find her books incredibly compelli..."

I have said the same thing! And I think that is the reason she is my top pick to collaborate with King. Both of them write characters so well but with much different results.

message 12: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments I'm just getting into this so that upcoming fact that the main character takes a turn is a bit of a surprise, though I should have expected it considering how things went in Gone Girl.

message 13: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele (mmicee) | 102 comments I really love her writing as well! She can really get into the heads of disturbed people and she does it in a manner that my imagination probably couldn't.

message 14: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Michele wrote: "I really love her writing as well! She can really get into the heads of disturbed people and she does it in a manner that my imagination probably couldn't."

Right, Michele, her writing is really clever and can be very beautiful when she wants it to be.

message 15: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (marke_) | 99 comments I’ll start this one when I finish the long walk

Kandice | 4141 comments I am looking forward to the HBO series starring Amy Adams. I have a hard time imagining her as a dark character, but I'm willing to watch at least the first episode to find out!

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments I’d love to watch it but I don’t have hbo and I wouldn’t sign up just for that.

message 18: by Nick (last edited Jul 08, 2018 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Kandice wrote: "I am looking forward to the HBO series starring Amy Adams. I have a hard time imagining her as a dark character, but I'm willing to watch at least the first episode to find out!"

Just finished the audiobook on a train riding to a baseball game. But the read was so engrossing that it was easy to become immersed. Actually, I liked the main character. I thought she was sympathetic and strong in a lot of ways. I was rooting for her. Considering what she went through I find it incredible that she was as capable as she turned out to be. She certainly could confront her demons, the evil people around her, anyone who let her down. She wasn't afraid to walk in anywhere and talk to anyone. Her temper saved her more than once. I tend to think the ending is actually optimistic and not just pretending to be. Interesting choice of a name for the hero too, huh? Camille? And does anyone else think that the title of the book might be a double entendre?

message 19: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments I hope to be able to check out the TV show this evening and have a review tomorrow by the end of the day.

message 20: by Latasha (last edited Jul 09, 2018 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments Started this today. I really like it. This town seems very fucked up. I was not going to parties and dressing provocative at 13. Camille reminds me a lot of Nell from Hill House. Words of use to describe them: whimsical, fanciful, dreamy. They almost seem as if they aren’t really here at all, that they could get lost in thoughts and float away.
I have no idea where this story is going or who killed the girls. Why are girls treated so horribly in this town?!
Anne seems bay shit crazy but I feel bad for her too.
I wonder how this is going to translate to a show cause it seems most of this is inner dialogue.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1022 comments I'm half way through. So I'm at the point where you can't wait til the end to see who's guilty.

message 22: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Marsbergen (mikemarsbergen) | 37 comments Fantastic book. Read it a few years ago and it still sticks with me.

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments I finished the audiobook today. wowww! I never saw that coming (view spoiler) what was her sister's name? at first it sounded like Anna, then Amma then Emma. figured she was in on it. the story was good, the characters and town so messed up. I would read more by this author. I just don't know what to say. disturbing & severely screwed up but a damn good story.

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments Nick wrote: "I hope to be able to check out the TV show this evening and have a review tomorrow by the end of the day."

now I'm very interested in seeing how it's handled. I pictured mama as Jessica Lange cause we already know she could do that role so well.

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments Nick wrote: "Kandice wrote: "I am looking forward to the HBO series starring Amy Adams. I have a hard time imagining her as a dark character, but I'm willing to watch at least the first episode to find out!"

J..."

the ending was kinda scary. I want to be optimistic but I just don't know. I hope it is.

message 26: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Latasha wrote: "I finished the audiobook today. wowww! I never saw that coming [spoilers removed] what was her sister's name? at first it sounded like Anna, then Amma then Emma. figured she was in on it. the sto..."

Read Gone Girl... (view spoiler)

message 27: by Nick (last edited Jul 10, 2018 05:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments I enjoyed the first TV episode. I've always been a big Amy Adams fan and I knew she had the acting skills to pull off the role... and the good looks that everyone in the story keeps talking about, but then they didn't present her as a physically attractive woman. She's kind of worn down, the result of all her vices and problems certainly. I pictured Meryl Streep as the mom. She would have bowled us over with the power of her performance. Amma is good in the show though they made her 15, probably more in keeping with her behavior but not as arresting as knowing that the girl who is so totally out of control is only 13.

Justin (rockstarintraining) Well, this is twice now that I’ve read a book at the same time as you guys and had no idea. 😃

I enjoyed this one, and I’m looking forward to watching he first episode of the HBO series tonight since I couldn’t make time for it last night. I’m all caught up watching The West Wing like it’s 1999 again.

I really liked Flynn’s writing even though I’m not crazy about the dark places (pardon the pun!) she takes her stories at times. Amma felt more like a 16-17 year old so I’m glad she’s a little older in the TV series. I felt like Flynn dropped me right into Wind Gap though. The setting and characters felt real, and I appreciated her taking the time to breathe life into them rather just pushing the story along. There were still plenty of twists and turns along the way.

I was a little bummed I had the ending figured out before I got there. Not all of it, but enough to disappoint me a little bit when I got there. I think I was waiting for some big bait and switch where the ending was going to completely surprise me, but I fell into place about like I thought it would. Still a good read and well written story. Looking forward to what those HBO guys did with it.

Kandice | 4141 comments HBO is so good at adapting, I'm sure they will do a good job. I think I'll watch tomorrow night.

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments Gone Girl is the only one I haven’t read. I didn’t realize it was already on!

Justin (rockstarintraining) Watched the first episode last night, and I don’t know, man. It was unbearably slow for me. Books are turned into two hour movies all the time, and longer books and series are stretched out into multiple seasons, but making this book into an 8 hour miniseries adds way too much bloat into the story. I don’t know if I can stick with it. I might feel different if I didn’t know the story already.

Kandice | 4141 comments Justin wrote: "Watched the first episode last night, and I don’t know, man. It was unbearably slow for me. Books are turned into two hour movies all the time, and longer books and series are stretched out into mu..."

That's exactly what I was worried about.

message 33: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Justin wrote: "Watched the first episode last night, and I don’t know, man. It was unbearably slow for me. Books are turned into two hour movies all the time, and longer books and series are stretched out into mu..."

Justin: I guess I didn't feel that way since I was interested in all those details and how they would interpret the local and the characters. My wife (who didn't read the book) watched with me and she agrees that it was really slow. On the subject of books to TV series, did you see Mr. Mercedes? How did you feel about that?

Lacey | 17 comments This was my favourite of her books. I haven’t joined the read this month since I loaned my copy to my sister and she doesn’t live close, but I’m tempted to go buy a paperback copy to reread anyway! I remember getting close to the ending and being unable to put the book down.

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments Lacey wrote: "This was my favourite of her books. I haven’t joined the read this month since I loaned my copy to my sister and she doesn’t live close, but I’m tempted to go buy a paperback copy to reread anyway!..."

check your library, that's where I got mine.

Justin (rockstarintraining) Nick, you make a good point about the show really filling in the details. I loved how well she painted the setting in the book, and it played out nicely on the screen. I think it was just the slow pace that bugged me. It worked well in the book because he details were filled in while the story moved along and the plot thickened, but this just felt like a very long introduction because they had too much time to tell the story. I’ll tune in next week. Maybe things will pick up a little bit.

message 37: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Justin wrote: "Nick, you make a good point about the show really filling in the details. I loved how well she painted the setting in the book, and it played out nicely on the screen. I think it was just the slow ..."

Might as well give it one more chance anyway. I don't expect it to deteriorate like some other King adaptations... Under the Dome for example.

Jeremy (the1germ) | 8 comments Just finished this - wow! What a twisted story.

I think what disturbed me most was (view spoiler)

I've been watching the HBO adaptation as well, and agree with some earlier comments that it's a bit slow. I'm glad I started the book around the same time, because I don't think I would have kept up with the show otherwise.

Pamela Harju (pamelaharju) | 9 comments I read this book some months ago, and it seems I'm the only one who did NOT enjoy it. I hated all the characters in it, and I figured out the ending early on. It just wasn't for me, and I will have to read Gillian Flynn's two other books as a friend of mine is really trying to get me into her books...

message 40: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Pamela wrote: "I read this book some months ago, and it seems I'm the only one who did NOT enjoy it. I hated all the characters in it, and I figured out the ending early on. It just wasn't for me, and I will have..."

I don't know... if you read a lot of King and his equals you get used to spending time with druggies and alcoholics and cutters, possessive moms and abusive fathers. Not that you like them, but I at least can look past a lot of those faults (not all of them, but many) and see the struggle going on there. I didn't find Camilla anywhere near as repulsive as her vapid girlfriends. I was cheering for her to rise above her demons and succeed with her story and her life. And, just a warning, I can only remember one book in which I didn't like any of the characters... and it was Gone Girl.

message 41: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (marke_) | 99 comments I'm about 1/3 of the way through this, not sure I'll finish before 8/1 but so far I'm liking it. I started this one a little late as after finishing the Long Walk I just had to read RAGE first (see my post in the Long Walk read discussion).

In Sharp Objects, I'm at the point where the mystery is slowly starting to unravel for her and I'm starting to learn about her history. It's interesting so far and I think I'm starting to guess who might be responsible for the girls' disappearances.

I will eventually finish this one, but got derailed with having to read a potty training book with my wife for our 2 year old, lol! Life happens.

message 42: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Mark wrote: "I'm about 1/3 of the way through this, not sure I'll finish before 8/1 but so far I'm liking it. I started this one a little late as after finishing the Long Walk I just had to read RAGE first (see..."

That damn potty training inturrupts everything. A little way down the line it might be nice to hear your prediction about who is responsible.

message 43: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I heard the show is really slow. I'm going to watch it tonight. Enjoyed the book so hoping the show is good. I read the book super fast, within two days. Enjoyable different read. I liked that the book was just about people who were bad. No real reason for it to me they were just bad people.

message 44: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Angie wrote: "I heard the show is really slow. I'm going to watch it tonight. Enjoyed the book so hoping the show is good. I read the book super fast, within two days. Enjoyable different read. I liked that the ..."

I Don’t think Camille was bad... damaged but not BAD, nor was the editor... nor the detective.

Kasey Rawn I really enjoy all of Gillian Flynn's books! It's always very interesting when I read the reasons why some people don't find her very appealing. Her books always blow my mind and leave me questioning everything! That being said, Sharp Objects was not a disappointment. I didn't like it as much as Gone Girl but it was still a very interesting plot. Her characters are never black and white. There isn't always a "good" guy and a "bad" guy; they're just people. They are very realistic and even though I may not like them, I am always fascinated by them!

message 46: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Kasey wrote: "I really enjoy all of Gillian Flynn's books! It's always very interesting when I read the reasons why some people don't find her very appealing. Her books always blow my mind and leave me questioni..."

That's it, Kasey... not necessarily likable but fascinating. although I really did like Camilla... her sister and mom were fascinating... not sure about the dad though. He actually was a little bit different in the TV show and in the book. I prefer the book version, just stupidly loyal no matter what.

Kasey Rawn I haven’t even thought about watching the television show! I guess I’m stupidly loyal too! I just never find the television or movie adaptations to do the book any justice. I did try to sympathize with Camilla but it was hard when she was making some decisions very rashly and impulsively. I can understand why she seemed so immature because of her mother, but some of her decisions were unbelievable in their stupidity.

message 48: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Kasey wrote: "I haven’t even thought about watching the television show! I guess I’m stupidly loyal too! I just never find the television or movie adaptations to do the book any justice. I did try to sympathize ..."

Yes, right about her stupidity. But you might want to check out a little of the TV show, good acting, the author was an exec producer, but some very slow going here and there.

Erin  | 82 comments I watched the first 2 episodes and it was incredibly slow paced. I might continue it but I don't know.

message 50: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin wrote: "I watched the first 2 episodes and it was incredibly slow paced. I might continue it but I don't know."

I ended up really enjoying the show. It is slow and I didn't think I would like it. It's only 8 episodes (I think) so maybe try one more?

« previous 1