Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES > How to Read Your First Fantasy Novel

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) | 1070 comments Hey Guys!

I have been wanting to read fantasy for a while but I have always been daunted by it because I am afraid if I am not going to understand it or I'm going to find it hard to read.

I wanted to ask which books would you recommend that I should START with and I do not want just any fantasy recommendations because I have a lot of those.

Thank you for your time in reading this :)

I hope you can help!

Tanya

message 2: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) One of my favourites is The Blue Sword. It's an older book, but it's not too long and can be read as a stand alone story. It's also not complex, and more a 'toe dip' in the water of fantasy if you like.

Alternatively, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is also a good lead in. This, the first book in the series is simply written and not very long. The books become longer and more complex with more adult concepts as the characters age.

It really depends what you're looking for.

message 3: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) | 1070 comments I'm quite open to any suggestions as I have not read fantasy so I'm not for anything in particular but thanks for your suggestion :)

message 4: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) No worries. Feel free to have a look at my bookshelves. There are a fair few fantasy stories on them, and you might find something enticing :)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) I particularly like Tamora Pierce's works. I highly recommend any of her series. :)

message 6: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) | 1070 comments Leonie wrote: "No worries. Feel free to have a look at my bookshelves. There are a fair few fantasy stories on them, and you might find something enticing :)"

Thank you I shall do this :)

message 7: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) | 1070 comments Bookbuyer wrote: "I particularly like Tamora Pierce's works. I highly recommend any of her series. :)"

Thanks for the suggestion and I will look into it :)

message 8: by Polus (new)

Polus (halbpolus) Well I think what you need to figure out first is what setting you want to reaxd about. There are ( in my Opinion) threeof them.

1. A contemorary setting with fantastical elements.
Here I would recommand that you either start with the secret of the immortal Nicholas Flamel The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott
Or with the works of Rick Riordan Rick Riordan

2. A setting in the past or alternate world.
Here I think the Septimus Heap series ould be a good starting point, as it ages the characters along the series
Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1) by Angie Sage

3. A mix of both
I have not read many books that have this as a setting but the best example is the Inkworld triology

Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke

I hope that could help you.

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 261 comments Start w.any urban fantasy,so if u begin inour world then u can venture i into other lands that way,dk what u like but CharlesDelint,Neil Gaiman ..

,thereR so many take look diff.types u know...

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 261 comments Memory and Dream,moonheart,stardust,American Gods, Neverwhere.... Chris Colfer Land of Stories...... inkheart Funke,she hs Reckless series as well for little darker.....there so much to explore wither ..DeStefano good for futuristic series.
have fun....

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)