Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Erikson and Esslemont - Malazan > Witness Trilogy (OPEN SPOILERS) Only read if you've finished BotF!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Reading HoC this made me think of starting this thread.

Regarding Grub in the opening, "The future First Sword of the late Empire period....."

So SE has moved the timeline to 4 years after TCG ended. Grub will still be a youth as will Coltaine. Nether and Nil will be coming into their own. Dassem still with the Segulah. Tool is still at play. Mallick Rel still leads the empire, with Shadowthrone looking to end that. Krokus and Apsalar back in the village.

I wonder if Stormy and Gesler are done for or do they ascend as part of the K'Chain Che'malle house or even Shadow realm since Silanda would have started them on their path.

With the late Empire period about Grub I have to imagine SE is going to take down the Empire at some point. Karsa?

I imagine Ganoes and the remaining BB's have a role.

There's still the mysteries of Ruthan Gudd. Kharkanas spoiler (view spoiler)

Empire Spoiler (view spoiler)

Icarium? Gothos? Hood?........

message 2: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments My feelings for this upcoming series are a mixture between omg omg I'm so excited and uh I want Walk in Shadow first. But in general I'm more on the excited side.
So far there's no (approximate) release date, is there?

I could well imagine Icarium showing up. First of all he's half Toblakai and then he will probably stay in Ublala's company after TCG. IIRC Karsa said something about summoning all the Toblakai to Ublala in RG so maybe Ublala will seek him out and Icarium goes with him??
I would like to see how a potential relationship between Karsa and Icarium would turn out. Could they even be friends I wonder?

Gothos making an appearance would be epic! I love that guy, he's one of my favorite side characters.
Also Hood <3
A cameo from Raest would be awesome as well.

I'm pretty sure the retired Bridgeburners will play a role.

I can't wait to meet Harllos children ;)

Kharkanas Spoiler considering Ruthan Gudd: (view spoiler)

Could Karsa bring down the empire? Interesting theory.
It for sure would be interesting to see him deal with Shadowthrone :)

I'll stop my incoherent rambling now (I just get way to excited about anything Malazan-related lol )

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Re Kharkanas (Korya)(view spoiler)

Great thought on Ubala. I can envision him still being a man slut and Karsa giving him shit. Also don't forget Samar Dev as his conscious.

I think given Icarium is time itself he and Karsa will always have a tenuous relationship at best.

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Yes, I agree that it's rather unlikely Karsa and Icarium will be friends, it was just a thought.
Still I'm interested how they will/would deal with each other.

Because you mentioned Samar ( I love her btw., she is great): I loved seeing Karsa's (further) character development after meeting Samar.
During RG I was actually kinda shipping them but what made me a bit doubtful about them being together was that scene with Dassem in TTH where Karsa suspects him of being her husband and then wants to fight over her. I don't like how possessive he is of Samar. If Dassem (or anybody else) would actually be her husband it would still be her decision who she wants to be with and not Karsa's.
I hope this will turn out in a positive way for them both because in general I have always liked their relationship and development together.

Re Kharkanas (view spoiler)

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

RE Ruthan Gudd monologue (view spoiler)

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Also remember Ubala was going to gather an army of Toblokai and find Karsa.

message 7: by Slick (new)

Slick | 94 comments Ruthan Gudd still drives me mad. Haha It's the mystery XD

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Slick wrote: "Ruthan Gudd still drives me mad. Haha It's the mystery XD"

He has to be Arathan.

message 9: by Slick (new)

Slick | 94 comments Scott wrote: "Slick wrote: "Ruthan Gudd still drives me mad. Haha It's the mystery XD"

He has to be Arathan."

Yes but it still hasn't been confirmed!! XD
And it makes me crazy!!!

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Slick wrote: "Yes but it still hasn't been confirmed!! XD
And it makes me crazy!!!"

No doubt. I've heard theories on Tayschrenn and Dassem both of who I don't see as being possible. Anathan and Korya being the parents of QB is also in play.

message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Scott wrote: "Slick wrote: "Yes but it still hasn't been confirmed!! XD
And it makes me crazy!!!"

No doubt. I've heard theories on Tayschrenn and Dassem both of who I don't see as being possible. Anathan and Ko..."

Tayschrenn or Dassem? I don't like that idea...is there any evidence supporting that?

QB being the son of Arathan and Korya is interesting, I have already thought about that as well.
Ruthan Gudd seemed to know the name "Delat" (I think it was in Dod) so that would definitely indicate he knew Korya (given that QB is somehow related to Korya) and would further support the RG=Arathan theory.

We need a Malazan speculations thread lol

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I agree that there's no proof it's Dassem or Tayschrenn.

It was definitely in DoD where Ruthan knew Delat. It's too bad there's a wait time for Walk in Shadow.

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Reading this thread made me realize I really need to go back and re-read.

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna wrote: "Reading this thread made me realize I really need to go back and re-read."

The re-read is amazingly better than the first time around. You just pick up so much of what you missed through sensory overload the first time around.

message 15: by Slick (new)

Slick | 94 comments I love Malazan.