Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Tooth and Claw
This topic is about Tooth and Claw
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Tooth and Claw [August 16 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
Β« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3603 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 16th August.

Virginie | 5795 comments Thank you Angela :)

message 3: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Starting moro....night πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ and yeah Virginie...I am totally cool with a slow pace....in fact, I'm grateful for it....

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Oooh I hope you love this! :D

Virginie | 5795 comments Will start tomorrow night as well ;)
Which will make it... 5 books I'm reading at the same time? Plus the mangas. Oh boy!

Virginie | 5795 comments Started! I checked the number of chapters, and since there are 16, I think I'll do one a day for now (until I finish some of my other BRs).

Not much to say so far. It's weird. I like it. (view spoiler)

message 7: by Zaara (last edited Aug 17, 2018 08:01AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Virginie wrote: "Started! I checked the number of chapters, and since there are 16, I think I'll do one a day for now (until I finish some of my other BRs)."

This sounds great.
Here are my thoughts on yesterday & today's portions.

CHAPTER 1
(view spoiler)

CHAPTER 2
(view spoiler)

Oh and Virginie, don't wait for my daily update...please keep posting ok?
I'll batch post my chapters the next time I log in.

Siobhan wrote: "Oooh I hope you love this! :D"

Meanwhile hi @Siobhan. Good to see you're following this read. Jump in and share when/if you feel like...no pressure tho'...I know everyone has too many threads to follow.

Here...I brung tomato soup 😍 for all of us...ok, there's actually four mugs bcuz I expect a Ghost πŸ‘» may also be (innocently) haunting this thread...I know the timezones may make this strange/weird...but both of us reading this book are sick and I am also reading a lotta depressing books...so best way to enjoy this is to have a worldwide mournful party with all my mates and thusly drink lots of soup...😝
Why yaaaass, I AM a Retard with a capital R.

THE SOULFULDOULFUL CUPPA
(view spoiler)

Virginie | 5795 comments Re: Chapter 1 (view spoiler)

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara wrote: "Oh and Virginie, don't wait for my daily update...please keep posting ok?
I'll batch post my chapters the next time I log in."

Sir, yes, sir! Will read Chapter 2 right after I finish posting silly comments all over the group, then come back and do it again :D

Virginie | 5795 comments YUM SOUP! I claim the cup on the far right. Don't know why, but it's mine now! :p

message 11: by Zaara (last edited Aug 17, 2018 09:28AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Virginie wrote: "YUM SOUP! I claim the cup on the far right. Don't know why, but it's mine now! :p"

Haha! You know when I posted I swear...I SWEAR I typed out that the one on the far LEFT is mine....but then deleted that bit from the comment...I dunno...was embarrased..."too dorky," I previously thought....but then you had the exact same thought....
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Oh Virginie! You are amazing, I swear. We DO share a wavelength and it is NOT just Mark Lawrence....

message 12: by Zaara (last edited Aug 17, 2018 09:22AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Regarding your spoiler....
Haha...yeah thazz totally me...I self-invite myself to all the places and things...*SELFKICK*
#presumptuous but in a good way...πŸ˜Šβ˜ΊοΈπŸ˜‰ not creepy or anything...

Yeah I missed the bus on the BR last year with Shivaan and Dragonchild so when I saw you post I immediately grabbed the chance...

In return, I was totally chuffed when I saw that The Golden Key made your noms bcuz helllooooo TOP PICK!

https://www.tor.com/2018/06/21/five-s...

+ I already have it and it was the only one I had from your list....

message 13: by Virginie (last edited Aug 17, 2018 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara wrote: "Virginie wrote: "YUM SOUP! I claim the cup on the far right. Don't know why, but it's mine now! :p"

Haha! You know when I posted I swear...I SWEAR I typed out that the one on the far LEFT is mine...."

Oooh, we really share a wavelength :)
I hesitated for a split second before posting, but... Well. I posted more embarrassing stuff than this so... xD

Virginie | 5795 comments CHAPTER 2 (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Can the soup cup second from right be mine?! I love it for some reason. XD

We didn't buddy read this last year lovely, I selfishly read it all on my own!!

message 16: by Zaara (last edited Aug 19, 2018 03:46AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments @Virginie
Updates for yest, today, tomorrow.

Re your question from CHAPTER 2
(view spoiler)

CHAPTER 3
(view spoiler)

CHAPTER 4
(view spoiler)

7. Guess I had a lot to say abt this chapter...NON-PLOT...females are expected to be so submissive in this world...have such few rights and options πŸ‘ŽπŸ˜–...this must have pushed hard on @Siobhan's feelings too??

β€œYou can make your way by your own wits and claws, while I must always be dependent upon some male to protect me. Wits I may have, but claws I am without..."
Women have had to go thru this stuff...for centuries...in some parts of the world, they still do...😒 we are so lucky in the times and places we live in.
That is, IF we are fortunate enough to find good ppl to spend our lives with. So many women still don't, not even nowadays, Virginie...

Haha πŸ˜‚ I just thought of @Ron and imagined 😀THE WORDS😀 she would deffo have if she read this book! Esp she'll BLOW with...😑 that son in law...(view spoiler)

7. Ok so (totally non-plot) the wing motions are used signify feelings, just like Dan Abraham's LPQ...

CHAPTER 5
(view spoiler)

message 17: by Zaara (last edited Aug 19, 2018 03:47AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Siobhan wrote: "Can the soup cup second from right be mine?! I love it for some reason. XD"

Deffo! Man, we need Anni to be here as well. I'll go bump her at the Grotto...once I post my Joe Abercrombie log...

Left some non-plot parts and quote outside the spoiler so Anni can also share.

message 18: by Virginie (last edited Aug 19, 2018 05:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments CHAPTER 3 (view spoiler)

Going to read chapter 4 now :)

message 19: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Howdy fellas πŸ˜‚ I will take the second cup from left then! Enjoy your Beefsteak-Tomato Soup Siobhan :P

I was a little busy this weekend, I visited a music festival on friday, had to work all day yesterday and today we went hiking... So I'm incredible tired right now... But it was great!

From where I live it's not far to an area called 'Eifel', actually it's an mointain range and the surrounding area. There're big forests and lakes and castles one could visit. Today we were here:

The lake you see, is germany's second largest reservoir (is this the right word? It's an artificial lake for drinking water). :)

message 20: by Virginie (last edited Aug 19, 2018 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Deffo! Man, we need Anni to be here as well. I'll go bump her at the Grotto...once I post my Joe Abercro..."

Yes, this thread is not haunted enough. I DON'T LIKE IT! I WANT GHOOOOOST :'(

EDIT: Heh. Ghost came before I even posted this. Is it telepathy? :O

Virginie | 5795 comments Siobhan wrote: "Can the soup cup second from right be mine?! I love it for some reason. XD

We didn't buddy read this last year lovely, I selfishly read it all on my own!!"

Ah! I took one look at the pic and thought 'I LOVE that cup on the right. Don't know why. But I like it better than the others.'

We're so weird hahaha :)

message 22: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments See what I did here? Rambling on and on so no one notice I'm too tired to focus on the actual conversation πŸ˜‚

message 23: by Virginie (last edited Aug 20, 2018 05:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments CHAPTER 4 (view spoiler)

7. Yes, they have to be proper, and submissive, and dependent on the males, and lay plenty of clutches even though it engender their lives, and, in a world where they can be EATEN, they don't even have claws to defend themselves. URGH.

Some more thoughts on the chapter: (view spoiler)

Virginie | 5795 comments Sir Anni wrote: "See what I did here? Rambling on and on so no one notice I'm too tired to focus on the actual conversation πŸ˜‚"

You followed enough to know which cup was yours ;)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Wow Anni that picture is amazing!! Did you take it?! Such a beautiful place. And yes, reservoir is correct :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Zaara wrote: " Guess I had a lot to say abt this chapter...NON-PLOT...females are expected to be so submissive in this world...have such few rights and options πŸ‘ŽπŸ˜–...this must have pushed hard on @Siobhan's feelings too?? .."

Yeah, like Virginie said, I don't read a lot of historical/Victorian stuff for this reason. It's something you expect in books set in this time, but no fun unless the girls are rebelling! :D

Virginie | 5795 comments Whoa Anni, that place is breathtaking. You must have had such a good time :)

message 28: by Anni (last edited Aug 20, 2018 06:17AM) (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Siobhan wrote: "Wow Anni that picture is amazing!! Did you take it?! Such a beautiful place. And yes, reservoir is correct :)"

Naaah, sadly no and I think it's taken from the air, from a helicopter, hot air balloon or glider. But I thought I should give you a little impression, because this place really is beautiful. And it really looks like this, except from the fact that there's less water and it's not that green right now because of the heatwave... Most of the meadows and fields went dry and they are rather yellowish and some of the trees lost their leaves as if it's fall already. But still the view was stunning and we had a great time :)

message 29: by Virginie (last edited Aug 23, 2018 06:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Bouarg, couldn't find time to comment here. I diligently read my daily chapters though. Will come back tonight with my thoughts on chapters 5, 6 and 7 :)

Virginie | 5795 comments Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

Virginie | 5795 comments Chapter 6: Affairs in Irieth (view spoiler)

message 32: by Virginie (last edited Aug 23, 2018 10:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Chapter 7: The Dinner Party (view spoiler)

When Selendra heard that she was invited to a formal dinner party at the Place she was horrified.
β€œI’d much rather stay here and read,” she said. β€œMust I go?”

Ooooh. That's me every time I get invited to a dinner/party :o

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Virginie (last edited Aug 23, 2018 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Chapter 8: The Writ Is Received (view spoiler)

I was outraged while reading this chapter! It's rare for me to get this angry while reading a book :o

message 34: by Zaara (last edited Aug 23, 2018 08:42AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments @Virginie...hi!
Here are the updates for yest(?) today, tomorrow's portions.
As you can see Munky is sticking to the sked this month!

CHAPTER 6
(view spoiler)

6. Chapter quote for you, @Gin luv. I'm going to start putting them outside the spoiler, when I can, so Gohst can also enjoy them + get a feel for the book...

β€œFrom up here, the city looked beautiful. He could see the patterns made of the tiles on the rooftops, and the accidental patterns made by so many rooftops together.”

CHAPTER 7
(view spoiler)

3. Chapter quote:
"I had no idea you were so experienced in social gaffes,” Felin said.
Sher laughed. β€œYou have no idea,” he agreed cheerfully.

@all...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ haha I SO totally empathise!
I love this thread bcuz we are all four on it here.

message 35: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments CHAPTER 8
(view spoiler)

CHAPTR 9
1. (view spoiler) but I dunno, Ginny...by now my brain isn't working...I have nothing to say...but I sure you'll find many discussion points in it...
DON'T OPEN ANNI PLOT SPOILER (view spoiler)

2. Quote for @Siobhan:
β€œWell, you need to go back up if you can,” Selendra said, feeling almost relieved that she would never have dragonets of her own to tug at her heart like this.
Little Wontas...too cute 😘

Another quote for @Anni:
*hopes Shallan doesn't notice I am cunningly fluffing this totally worthless chapter log with quotes*

β€œNot that kind of magic,” Wontas groaned. β€œThe other kind, the story kind."

It is getting hard to stop reading this, @Virginie so I have gotten a bit further ahead than planned. I think it might be the same with you??
I woke up this morning thinking of the story...

message 36: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Catching up on all the thread comments now....will open your spoilers too just now!

Hey Ghost...sounds like you had a wonderful time last weekend. Thanks for the pic...those white sails look so pretty on the water. Like you say...it must still look good now, with browns and duller greens against the blue!
I stayed in last Sat-Sun but this weekend I will be out so....Virginie...that's why I have read and posted a bit ahead so you won't be kept waiting for spoilers to open!

Ghost and Siobhan.... 😊 lots of non-spoilery quote selections outside the tags for you both so you won't be bored.

Virginie | 5795 comments OK, I READ ALL THE LOGS!

Virginie | 5795 comments Re Chapter 6: (view spoiler)

Virginie | 5795 comments Chapter 7: love the quote you chose! I put mine out of the spoiler so Anni can see it :)

message 40: by Virginie (last edited Aug 23, 2018 10:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Re Chapter 8: (view spoiler)

message 41: by Virginie (last edited Aug 23, 2018 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara wrote: "It is getting hard to stop reading this, @Virginie so I have gotten a bit further ahead than planned. I think it might be the same with you??"

Yes, it is. I'll be out Sat-Sun-Mon. A coworker is letting me stay at his appartement in a skying station. I'll take books and all, but probably will switch off the phone, leave the computer and simply breathe the mountain air, and hike, and laze in the sun, and read. I really need to decompress, I've been sick, shit keeps happening both at work and on a personal level, and I need a few days where I don't have to talk to anyone :p

Anyway, I'll probably post chapter 9, 10, 11 and 12 Monday evening/Tuesday morning. I'll keep with the one chap/day 'cause I have other books I want to finish during the week-end. Then I'll race the last four chapters :p

message 42: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Awww, that's really sweet of you :)

Virginie wrote: "β€œI’d much rather stay here and read,” she said. β€œMust I go?”

Ooooh. That's me every time I get invited to a dinner/party :o"

What do you mean, I can't bring a book to the party? πŸ˜‚

Virginie | 5795 comments Hahaha! #Elend

message 44: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Zaara wrote: "β€œFrom up here, the city looked beautiful. He could see the patterns made of the tiles on the rooftops, and the accidental patterns made by so many rooftops together.”"

A great quote and I guess this indeed would look beautiful, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to appreciate it, because I have some trouble with heights πŸ˜…

Zaara wrote: "DON'T OPEN ANNI PLOT SPOILER (view spoiler)"

Hahaha! Got me! You can't just tell me that I'm not allowed to open that spoiler πŸ˜‚

message 45: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Virginie wrote: "Hahaha! #Elend"

And it worked for him!!!

message 46: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Zaara wrote: "β€œNot that kind of magic,” Wontas groaned. β€œThe other kind, the story kind.""

That's a great quote! :) Gotta love the story-kind of magic β™₯

message 47: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Virginie wrote: "Zaara wrote: "It is getting hard to stop reading this, @Virginie so I have gotten a bit further ahead than planned. I think it might be the same with you??"

Yes, it is. I'll be out Sat-Sun-Mon. A ..."

I'm sorry to hear, I hope you have a wonderful and especially relaxing weekend! But actually I guess there's no need to wish that, because this sounds great and will be amazing for sure! :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Thank you for all the quotes and spoilers! ☺️

Little Wontas...too cute 😘

He really is!

Virginie | 5795 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Hahaha! #Elend"

And it worked for him!!!"

Yes, it did! So there's hope for me! Probably... ^_^"

Virginie | 5795 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I'm sorry to hear, I hope you have a wonderful and especially relaxing weekend!"

Thanks sweety :)
I'm looking forward to being all hermit-y, no phone, no computer, no cars, just me and my books :p

Β« previous 1