Art Lovers discussion

Art to You, Me and the World > The Question 'Why'?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather I'm not sure where this thread is going to go. I invite anyone interested in asking a question of 'Why' about anything in the art world, to pose your question and receive input and feedback be it opinion or knowledge to the answer of the said question.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather I came to the idea for this thread feeding upon an original finding of Dvora. The following article is a couple of days old now (my fault) but it does ask an interesting 'why' question.

An unknown artist painted a portrait of a soldier who died in Afghanistan and posted it to his mum with no return address. Who is Pam G? And why do war artists often seek anonymity?

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesi...

"Artists choosing anonymity over praise when documenting war has been intriguingly common throughout history, right through to this odd case in Northumberland's suburbs. Why do artists, who produce work to be consumed and appreciated by others, so often waive acknowledgment when painting or photographing war? Does anonymity free them from any association with either side of a conflict? Does the mystery lend more gravitas? And how many masters in the making have been lost in the mess of history and time?"

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather I want to add another question to the above two which are:
Who is Pam G?
and
Why do war artists often seek anonymity?

So my question is...What do you think would be the response of the soldier's mom who received the painting?

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather I see I started this thread in 2014 and it obviously didn't go anywhere. I was wondering, though, following up on one of the above questions:

Why does Bansky stay anonymous? Maybe some of you already know why, but I'm curious. Do tell!

message 5: by Heather (last edited Aug 27, 2017 03:26PM) (new)

Heather Speaking of Bansky, I found the following article interesting...

Spanish town launches international campaign to lure Banksy to graffiti Franco's birthplace
by James Badcock, Madrid

If the street artist Banksy were to visit the Spanish city of Ferrol, a logical site for his politically charged graffiti might be the house where former dictator Francisco Franco was born...

Ferrol is hoping to win Spain's first catalogued work by Banksy at the Meninas de Canido festival - so-named because artists are encouraged to cover the walls with their takes on Diego Velázquez's masterpiece Las Meninas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/...

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 0 comments My "why" ... actually stopped me cold. Half of my sophomore year in art school was devoted to one painting: we were to spend the entire semester working on one trompe l'oiel. (The instructor is a relatively well known trompe artist. (And kind of a jerk, but that's another post.) Excited, I was talking about it at a family gathering, and my brother (not fan of the arts) said "why, when you can just take a photo?" (I don't think he was trying to put me on the spot -
he's not a jerk. I think he really wanted to know.) All the reasons I could coolly list off right now collided in my head, got swamped by a cocktail of emotions and 21-year-old insecurities, and ... I don't know what I said. I don't think I said anything, actually - just stammered for a minute till someone changed the subject. It was a long time ago, but obviously it stuck with me.

So now I'm interested in hearing what other people would say: why spend 80+ hours painting a painting that is, if done right, a completely convincing representation when ... you could just take a photograph?

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Tracey wrote: "My "why" ... actually stopped me cold. Half of my sophomore year in art school was devoted to one painting: we were to spend the entire semester working on one trompe l'oiel. (The instructor is a r..."

Thank you for your story, Tracey. That is a very good question. I, of course, am a lover of the arts, but to someone like your brother, I don't know actually what I would say either.

If someone gave me a painting as a very good representation of a loved one that I'd lost, I would cherish it more because for me, it would show dedication of time, attention, accuracy, and thought. That would mean a lot more to me.

That's just how I would react if it were me receiving the painting.

Oh, I just thought of something else, I think when a great artist, or just a skilled artist gives someone a picture of a loved one, it kind of is like that person is forever painted in history. Does that make sense? Anyone can take a photo, but not everyone can paint a picture that resembles that person so well.