Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
This topic is about The Return of the King
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Return of the King [Oct 5, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
October 5th.

K L  | 342 comments I have just started. Anyone else?

message 3: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Not yet, but I'm planning to start soon :)

K L  | 342 comments I am about 230 pages into my edition - I find this one far harder going than The Two Towers. It just feels so dense!

message 5: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I started now as well. I'm planning to do one chapter a day because I have a lot of other stuff to read atm.

Lola wrote: "I am about 230 pages into my edition - I find this one far harder going than The Two Towers. It just feels so dense!"

What's happening at the moment?
RotK definitely has some slower parts, especially the last part.

K L  | 342 comments I have finished it (I did not bother reading the appendices - sorry!).
I gave it (shock! horror!) 2 stars.
I actually really like the overall story being told, but this final book was just so gloomy and uninteresting. I thought the story had picked up with The Two Towers, but I really did not like the way the ending was written. I have no problem with the ending per se - I just did not like the writing.

K L  | 342 comments Bea wrote: "I started now as well. I'm planning to do one chapter a day because I have a lot of other stuff to read atm.

Lola wrote: "I am about 230 pages into my edition - I find this one far harder going th..."

I can't quite remember - I think there was lot of talking to kings and stewarts and being overall very glum ;)

message 8: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Sorry it did not work out for you!
Yeah, not everybody likes the ending. I always found it too long and the (view spoiler).
I agree the atmosphere is much more gloomy in the third book but I always found that very fitting. But I totally understand why not everybody loves LotR!

message 9: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Finally finished.
It's still my least favorite but it was still great.
And I always cry at the end, no matter how many times I read this book.

(view spoiler)