Play Book Tag discussion

June 2018: Magical Realism > The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman 4*'s

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 277 comments Alice Hoffman presents a prequel to the popular Practical Magic authored some 20+ years ago. I so loved Practical Magic that I was anxious to delve into The Rules of Magic. While I enjoyed the book I have to say that I liked Practical Magic so much more. The Rules of Magic tells of the early lives of the aunts that care for the young Sally and Gillian in Practical Magic. It is not until the end of the novel that Sally and Gillian are introduced so that The Rules of Magic is truly a standalone story. The characters are well developed and the story flows without jarring disruption. It is an excellent novel in its own right. just like Practical Magic better!

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I also really liked this book! I was on the flip side though, and liked it better than Practical Magic. That is only because I read Practical Magic after watching the movie a bazillion times, but I quickly learned that the movie is quite different than the book. I love the movie so much that it made me like the book less. What I liked about The Rules of Magic is that I didn't compare it to one of my favorite movies.

Both great books though and I recommend them often :)