Beta Reader Group discussion

Covers, Blurbs, 1st Line, Query > Native Speaker's Opinion on Chapter Titles Needed!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elena (new)

Elena Leman (elena_leman) | 44 comments In my mother tongue, articles don't exist (yeeey!) Thus, I'd love to have a native speaker's pair of eyes on the chapter titles of my novel. I know that articles (especially "the") are often omitted in titles (and I would love to skip those bastards) but sometimes it just looks too weird to me not to include them. What do you, guys, think? I know it's funny to give your opinion without knowing the content of the book but I really don't have good intuition when it comes to articles so any help will be appreciated. Can I leave the titles like this or should I be consistent in either including or excluding definite articles in the beginnings of chapters?
Thank you so much!

CHAPTER 1: THE RED-EYED FROG

CHAPTER 2: IN THE HANDS OF AN ACROBAT

CHAPTER 3: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN

CHAPTER 4: ONE-WOMAN SHOW

CHAPTER 5: DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE

CHAPTER 6: BUTTERFLIES AND THE VOLCANO

CHAPTER 7: PURA VIDA

CHAPTER 8: THE HANGED MAN

CHAPTER 9: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC

CHAPTER 10: COUNTDOWN TO BREAKDOWN

CHAPTER 11: TEARING APART

CHAPTER 12: GODDESSES BOOTCAMP

CHAPTER 13: ENTER THE LIONESS

CHAPTER 14: THIRST

CHAPTER 15: FLASH FLOOD

CHAPTER 16: SACRED HEARTS

CHAPTER 17: PUTTING MONSTERS TO SLEEP

CHAPTER 18: TALES OF GRANDFATHER SAN PEDRO

CHAPTER 19: TUMBLING OF THE WALLS

CHAPTER 20: DOE IN THE FOG

CHAPTER 21: A BETTER KISSER

CHAPTER 22: LIKE FATHER

CHAPTER 23: “THE ONLY RISK IS WANTING TO STAY”

CHAPTER 24: THE MOON AND THE STAR

CHAPTER 25: ARMAGEDDON

CHAPTER 26: RAY OF SUNSHINE

CHAPTER 27: MAMA AYAHUASCA AND THE STAR LION

CHAPTER 28: LOVE IN THE TIMES OF SKYPE

CHAPTER 30: BACK TO THE FUTURE

CHAPTER 31: GLASS SOUL

CHAPTER 32: GODDESSES USE KEYNOTE

CHAPTER 33: BUT MY SOUL IS A SWAN

CHAPTER 34: SPICY AND SWEET

CHAPTER 34: SHANGRI-LAAAH

CHAPTER 35: DWARVES IN THE EAR

CHAPTER 36: EXCHANGE OF ENERGIES

CHAPTER 37: PLANETS ON THE SATIN SKY

CHAPTER 38: KNIGHTS OF THE EGO

CHAPTER 39: FRENZY OF EXULTATIONS

CHAPTER 40: CRAYFISH IN THE DARK

CHAPTER 41: SKY THE ZENITH OF FREEDOM

CHAPTER 42: GEOMETRY OF JOY

CHAPTER 44: BLESSED CONTRAST

CHAPTER 45: JANE WALKER

CHAPTER 45: WE’RE ALL PROSTITUTES

CHAPTER 48: THE GREAT CREATOR

CHAPTER 48: FLOWERS ON THE RED LIGHT STREET

CHAPTER 48: THE BULL’S-EYE

CHAPTER 50: THE FIRE DANCER

CHAPTER 50: THE ROCK AND THE HUMMINGBIRD

CHAPTER 52: INESCAPABLE CHARM

CHAPTER 52: BATTLE OF HEARTS

CHAPTER 53: 100 KPH ON A HIGHWAY TO NOWHERE

CHAPTER 54: BUTTERFLY EATERS

CHAPTER 56: THE NADIR OF DESPAIR

CHAPTER 56: ISLAND OF PASSION AND JOY

CHAPTER 57: HENOSIS

CHAPTER 58: REBIRTH

CHAPTER 59: THE WITCH OF THE FROG POND

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike (literallyliterary) | 8 comments I think the chapters look just fine the way they are. There is no need to take out the articles. I've never seen an issue with using The in titles.

message 3: by Keith (new)

Keith Oxenrider (mitakeet) | 1166 comments Look OK to me. Note that while I use chapter titles, I've been told by several editors that they are often not helpful and can give things away. I like them, so kept them in my work, but thought I'd pass that along.

message 4: by Elena (new)

Elena Leman (elena_leman) | 44 comments Mike wrote: "I think the chapters look just fine the way they are. There is no need to take out the articles. I've never seen an issue with using The in titles."

Awesome! Thank you for taking the time to check them out.

message 5: by Elena (new)

Elena Leman (elena_leman) | 44 comments Keith wrote: "Look OK to me. Note that while I use chapter titles, I've been told by several editors that they are often not helpful and can give things away. I like them, so kept them in my work, but thought I'..."

Yeah, I didn't have them when I was writing the book but then they sort of emerged in the editing process... Now, I'm already in love with the idea and don't want to resign from them, even with all those new article-related problems that arose together with the titles. Having the chapters titled makes me feel as if they were little pieces of art too, not only steps in the plot progression.

Thank you for your time and the reply!

message 6: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Alcyone | 303 comments I think your chapter titles look fine, too. Articles are frequently omitted in a title, but you can mix and match.

Don't worry -- many of us have spoken English our whole lives, and we still get these finer points wrong. English is a very confusing language.

message 7: by Elena (new)

Elena Leman (elena_leman) | 44 comments Jen wrote: "I think your chapter titles look fine, too. Articles are frequently omitted in a title, but you can mix and match.

Don't worry -- many of us have spoken English our whole lives, and we still get t..."

Thank you, Jen, for understanding and taking the time to reply. It's good to know that even the native speakers get sometimes confused by English grammar! :)

message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven Simpson | 23 comments I think your chapter names look great! I can only find one >tiny< thing that I would change. I think you should put a comma after "SKY" in "SKY THE ZENITH OF FREEDOM." Some might say this is overkill, but without it, it sounds like you're using "SKY" as a verb. Good luck with your project.