The Shining The Shining question

Where to go after the shining
Colton Colton Aug 02, 2014 11:58AM
just looking for a list of books by Stephen king I should read now that I finished the shining.

I will make this easy. Read everything he wrote including his non-fiction. I suggest that you read in the order they were published. King has placed Easter Eggs in his novels for his constant readers (as we are called) that tie to the Dark Tower series and it makes the reading worthwhile because you get a deeper understanding on how his world ties together within his universe.

Maria Yes, quite a few of his books refer back to names, places and incidents in earlier books or stories - it is SO cool to come across one - it's almost l ...more
Aug 15, 2014 12:05PM

Read 'Salem's Lot - really scary. And then 11-22-63 - that is one of my favorites. Then maybe a good set of his novellas - Four Past Midnight is good. Then It - definitely It - then .... oh, just get a list and read them all! They are all so good!!!

Doctor Sleep is the new sequel to The Shining! After that... so many titles... so much blood... such a little swiffersweeper

Favorites:
The Stand
Lisey's Story
Bag of Bones
Green Mile
The Bachman Books
Ahhh...all his books are good.

Alot of people on here have said Dr.Sleep and i agree, it was a very good book with some references to The Shining. Just the whole thing of knowing what happened to Danny and how it affected his life. There's so much to say about this book but i don't want to give anything away. So yes! I would read Dr.Sleep next!!

Simon (last edited Aug 02, 2014 02:01PM ) Aug 02, 2014 02:00PM   0 votes
Great question Colton, i will throw a few into the mix for you.

IT
Pet Semetary
Needful Things
The stand (complete uncut)
The Green Mile
Salems lot

Thats a random order not a list by preference :-)

Well since you finished The Shining it would be nice to continue with Dr. Sleep since it is the sequel. And after that there are soooo many Stephen King books you can chose from!

well after the shinning i would go to the power of five novels

DEFINITELY read Dr. Sleep while The Shining is still fresh in your mind. For easy short reads between the the longer works ("The Stand" is a mammoth undertaking to say the least), try "Just After Sunset" by Stephen King - a collection of short stories.
Just After Sunset

The Tommyknockers is very good.

Can't forget the Dark Tower series for...wonderfully developed and told. The Stand for sure...and Under the Dome was quite entertaining. His Character development, dialogue and interaction is sublime

Joyland is a great read, a throwback to his earlier stuff. Also thought Christine was excellent.
I also agree with P.R. - check out Different Seasons, 2 of the 4 novellas (Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and The Body)are my most favourite King stories, actually they are both right up there as some of my all time favourite stories by any author

Read Dr. Sleep while The Shining is still fresh in your mind, then the Stand is definitely one to read.

I had never read a single Stephen King book until a few weeks ago when I flew through The Shining. I enjoyed that one so much that when I finished I went right ahead and read Dr. Sleep which was also excellent. I now have Carrie and Pet Sematary in my possession and will be reading them very soon. I plan on going though this authors entire oeuvre in the next few years.

Bobby (last edited Aug 14, 2014 12:08PM ) Aug 14, 2014 12:07PM   0 votes
I read Carrie right after. My first King work was the essay On Writing in his memoir *On Writing*, and then Toolbox in the same book. Then I read The Shining years later. Carrie came right after and I loved it! That's all of King I read and would hope to start Doctor Sleep soon, then Mr.Mercedes, maybe even some of Skeleton Crew. I own these:
Full Dark No Stars
The Stand
Just After Sunset
Cell (looks good)
Duma Key
Christine
Gerald's Game
Under The Dome
11/22/63

The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert..The Secret Of Crickley Hall

The Stand! It is a huge book to tackle. It is absolutely worth it. I would say it is King's best book.

Carrie
Salem's Lot
Firestarter
Under the Dome (so much better than the book!!!)
Eyes of the Dragon (if you like fantasy)

Anything but Dr Sleep.

The Dead Zone is an old school classic

11/22/63 is a new school classic

Here is a list I will recall mostly by memory:

Thinner
The Green Mile
Carrie
The Dead Zone
Dreamcatcher
The Tommyknockers (a "Longie" but goodie!)
On Writing (if you are interested in writing)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes *
Night Shift *
Everything's Eventual *
The Bachman Books *

* Short story/book collections

Recently I read and enjoyed Doctor Sleep. I'd recommend that after The Shining.

My favourite three:
Misery
Different Seasons (4 novellas collection)
The Long Walk (written as Richard Bachman)

You cannot forget to include "Misery". That is a great one!!

Banane123 first book i ever finished in one day. so great :X
Sep 18, 2014 12:28PM · flag