Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

2014 Books > Nominations for October from 2014 List

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Val (new)

Val Please nominate books for us to read in October from the Current list.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) How about The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri?

I've really enjoyed other books by her that I've read, so have been hoping to get to this one.

message 3: by Penny (new)

Penny | 681 comments Mod
I nominate The Shadow of the Crescent Moon by Fatima Bhutto I've never read this author so another leap in the dark! here's the blurb:

The Shadow of the Crescent Moon
by Fatima Bhutto (Goodreads Author)
3.33 of 5 stars 3.33 · rating details · 183 ratings · 46 reviews
Fatima Bhutto's stunning debut begins and ends one rain swept Friday morning in Mir Ali, a small town in Pakistan's Tribal Areas close to the Afghan border.

Three brothers meet for breakfast. Soon after, the eldest, recently returned from America, hails a taxi to the local mosque. The second, a doctor, goes to check in at his hospital. His troubled wife does not join the family that morning. No one knows where Mina goes these days. And the youngest, the idealist, leaves for town on a motorbike. Seated behind him is a beautiful, fragile girl whose life and thoughts are overwhelmed by the war that has enveloped the place of her birth.

Three hours later their day will end in devastating circumstances.

message 4: by Val (new)

Val The Bear by Claire Cameron The Bear by Claire Cameron came a very close second in the September poll. I have not read it but I think it deserves a second chance.

message 5: by Val (new)

Val Does anyone have any more nominations before the vote opens?

message 6: by Val (new)

Val The poll has now closed and the October book from the current list will be:
The Bear by Claire Cameron The Bear by Claire Cameron.