Some Kind of Book Club discussion

We Are the Ants
This topic is about We Are the Ants
Book Club Picks > July Buddy Read Thread

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel Buckley (rachelbuckley3) | 28 comments Mod
Hey ya'll!

This is where we will discuss our book club pick for the month. Whenever you want, feel free to come here and update your progress and tell us your thoughts about the book 😊

Happy Reading!

Update: Our book for this month is officially We Are the Ants! Can't wait to get started!

I'm only on page 7, and I've already gotten goosebumps twice. I'm in love with this book already! The writing style is absolutely gorgeous, and I can't wait to see the actual story unfold

Jody (jodyjotes) | 6 comments Literally just started We Are The Ants 🐜 and I want to marry it...or at least take it out on a date.

Jody wrote: "Literally just started We Are The Ants 🐜 and I want to marry it...or at least take it out on a date."

I'm so glad I'm not the only one 😂

Jody (jodyjotes) | 6 comments Not done yet up to the bees 🐝. SPOILERS
But I have to say, may it’s because I’m a New Yorker but if some smashes the windows of the car of an unchecked bully is a hero. Someone who beats down their meth-head father and saves their mom is a saint.

message 7: by Rachel (last edited Jul 08, 2018 04:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jody wrote: "Not done yet up to the bees 🐝. SPOILERS
But I have to say, may it’s because I’m a New Yorker but if some smashes the windows of the car of an unchecked bully is a hero. Someone who beats down their..."

I hate to say it but I agree 😬 Even though I didn't get to the meth-head part yet, I do agree that if someone is going unpunished for the things that Marcus has done, they need to be punished in some other way. The windows were a start, but his downward spiral was the finish. Now I'm hoping he realizes that he's not the hot shit he thinks he is (sorry for the profanity, but I can't think of a better term).

Also, is Nana's condition an accurate representation of Alzheimer's? I always want to know if people who write about diseases like this do accurate research xD

Update
I actually kinda hate Henry now... Like, every other character still interests me, and every other character has shown some kind of change. But Henry's stuck in this world where he's a victim and he's responsible for every bad thing that happens in the world, and that changes the way he treats people, including himself. He's rude to his friends, he refuses to accept the fact that anyone can change, and he refuses to accept the fact that life goes on after tragedy. I get that it's hard to move on, especially if you feel like you're to blame, but when literally everyone is saying the same thing, you kinda have to listen. I love how caring Audrey is, how kind and passionate Diego is, and I love how much Charlie is coming into his own and accepting his role as a father. Even Henry's mom is changing for the better and overcoming her obstacles. But Henry is wallowing in self-pity, and that is the one thing I hate in people and I guess in my book characters too.
Sorry, rant over 😂

Jody (jodyjotes) | 6 comments Rachel wrote: "Jody wrote: "Not done yet up to the bees 🐝. SPOILERS
But I have to say, may it’s because I’m a New Yorker but if some smashes the windows of the car of an unchecked bully is a hero. Someone who bea..."

I'm sorry I spoiled something (meth-head) I won't say much now. I don't know if you are done. But, yeah, Henry had a bit of a it's-all-about-me complex, but I felt he was headed towards the right place.

Jody (jodyjotes) | 6 comments From what I know it is a pretty accurate description of Alzheimer's. I know it seems fake as she's in and out but that's how it is, and why it's so sad.

It’s not that it seemed fake to me. I just always like to make sure. Even if it seems completely real to me, I’ve never been through it so I wouldn’t actually know.

Also, I finished the book last night at like 2am 😂 It was a 4-Star to me, but I was so scared to give it below a 5 since it was so many people’s favorites!

message 11: by Anouk (new)

Anouk I wanted to buy the book at a local bookstore but they had to order it, which took quite long (for Dutch standards at least) so it came in today. Tonight I'll start reading it. I'm excited!

Anouk wrote: "I wanted to buy the book at a local bookstore but they had to order it, which took quite long (for Dutch standards at least) so it came in today. Tonight I'll start reading it. I'm excited!"

So excited for you to start getting into this! Let me know what you think ☺️

message 13: by Anouk (new)

Anouk Rachel wrote: "Anouk wrote: "I wanted to buy the book at a local bookstore but they had to order it, which took quite long (for Dutch standards at least) so it came in today. Tonight I'll start reading it. I'm ex..."

I like it. I kinda alway think that young people in books have exceptionally eloquent thoughts. I used to really enjoy that, but now it also seems a bit much, which makes it a bit unrealistic. But perhaps a story from the perspective of a less intelligent and eloquent character is not that interesting to read, so I'm okay with it.
I'm on page 133 and I wanted to add that the stuff about Jesse's suicide really gets to me. I't kinda hard to get through those parts. Also Nana's Alzheimer makes me sad.

Anouk wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Anouk wrote: "I wanted to buy the book at a local bookstore but they had to order it, which took quite long (for Dutch standards at least) so it came in today. Tonight I'll start rea..."

This is a sad book, for sure. I mean, one of the major themes in the beginning is that life is pointless 😂 But yeah. The details about Jesse's suicide are rough to read, and I forget where but I know that gets more graphic somewhere so just be aware. Also, I kinda agree with your view on the main character's eloquence. He seems to be a lot more poetic than a normal teenage boy should be. But I feel like it kinda fits in this case because his wording is so harsh and sarcastic and dry that it goes with the harsh message that he's trying to give.

message 15: by Anouk (new)

Anouk Rachel wrote: "Anouk wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Anouk wrote: "I wanted to buy the book at a local bookstore but they had to order it, which took quite long (for Dutch standards at least) so it came in today. Tonight ..."

Yeah, I think you're right. Very harsh and bitter.

message 16: by Anouk (new)

Anouk I found a Dutch word! This always makes me excited for some reason. Dutch isn't used in American books/movies/series often. And when it is, it's often a messed up version of German (not even a messed up version of Dutch) :')
Henry de ruimtejongen, I like it.

message 17: by Anouk (new)

Anouk Anouk wrote: "I found a Dutch word! This always makes me excited for some reason. Dutch isn't used in American books/movies/series often. And when it is, it's often a messed up version of German (not even a mess..."

I do want to add that I can't imagine a picture like the one that is described is popular on social media because people find it funny or something. That's so unreasonable. I know it probably happens in real life but whyyyy