Art Lovers discussion

Books & Reviews > Meetings with Remarkable Manuscripts by Christopher de Hamel

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Don't be scared off by the size of the tome--it reads like a galloping travelogue and it is loaded with pictures. De Hamel is a scholar of manuscripts and a terrific writer. Someone I definitely want to meet over a good meal and a great bottle of wine. He chooses a dozen mss that arc from the 8th century to the 15th. Each presents a different text, each offers a different kind of art experience, each comes from a different library/archive. So much fun. Don't get bogged down in trying to grasp the mathematics of collation though. I put three hours into reading and rereading the explanation and I still don't get it. Just have fun.

Here is my review on Good Reads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Ellen wrote: "Don't be scared off by the size of the tome--it reads like a galloping travelogue and it is loaded with pictures. De Hamel is a scholar of manuscripts and a terrific writer. Someone I definitely wa..."

I love books with many illustrations. This sounds like fun! But, thank you for mentioning not to get "bogged down in trying to grasp the mathematics", because I would sit there and try to figure it out, and I know I wouldn't be able to and it could be frustrating for me.

Maybe this is a book I would just peruse the pictures. Thank you for introducing it!