1776 1776 discussion

Looking for a recommendation for my dad!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hi! My dad and I have a little book club (just the two of us), and I'm looking for our first book to read. I'll read anything, but my dad prefers a story that will teach you something in the end. He loves American history (especially the revolutionary period), but might also appreciate a Sherlock Holmes-ian mystery. He loved 1776 by David McCullough, which is why I posted in this specific forum. Any recommendations? :)

message 2: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon Walsh McCullough's book about the Wright Brothers is one of the best books I have ever read. A suggestion that is equally literary but also partially historical is Life on the Run by, Bill Bradley- he's a former NJ governor, Princeton scholar and professional basketball player for the New York Knicks. The book details his travels across the country while playing professional ball in the early 1970's. Beautifully written and well composed narrative of his life across the ever culturally changing country.

Matthew Clifford If your looking for something American Rev period, I suggest Killing England by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. While it does paint the war with a broad brush and may not be up to par with the eloquent writing of 1776, it is still a fascinating read. Bill O'Reilly, who although has publicly expressed his political opinions, chooses to keep those out. O'Reilly also places emphasis on the main players of the Revolution, (the pantheon of Founding Fathers, George III, Lafayette, etc.), and his account on the conditions of Valley Forge and von Steuben's training seemed to imply that he was notifying the reader of how much was actually sacrificed to make this country a reality. He presents a solid, easy to read account of the Revolution with no bias. I'd recommend this book if you want a break from hard reading and just want to relax with something enjoyable.

Laila Radi McCullough's book

Alan Kolok If you like David McCullough, I would strongly suggest, The Great Bridge. One of my all time favorites.

Arman Baqui My brother Sam is dead is if your dad wants something light