Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Alternative pen names for a Goodreads author

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Xeno (new)

Xeno (xensyria) | 4 comments I've been disambiguating some authors recently, found this case that I can't work out the policy for: Andrew Chapman is a Goodreads author, who has also published under the name A.E. Chapman.

As I can't edit his main Goodreads author profile, how would readers find out that he wrote more books using a variant of this name (not even a pseudonym)? Rivka has kindly pointed out that distinct pen-names are not merged.

Should I add both names as author of the books (I've reread the Librarian's Manual a few times and seems to say this but I'm still not completely sure)? Or is there some way that admins could edit the main profile to contain a note and link to his initials-based pen-name?

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this (please move it if necessary!), but not sure what the policy is!

message 2: by lethe (last edited Jun 27, 2018 10:27AM) (new)

lethe | 14835 comments If the author uses pseudonyms to write in different genres, it is not necessary and also undesirable to add both names to the books.

If the author uses both names on the same books, for combining purposes the name the book was first published under should be primary author on all editions and the other name can be added as secondary author on the books with that name on the cover.

The unclaimed profile can be linked to the claimed profile. The author themselves is responsible for maintaining the claimed profile. Staff will not edit a claimed profile unless in exceptional circumstances.

message 3: by Xeno (new)

Xeno (xensyria) | 4 comments Thanks Lethe. If the author was to state that it's not intended as a separate pseudonym (all of these books are sci-fi/fantasy), would it be possible to merge them? (I guess the author would have to make the request to a mod?)

The separate names on different editions makes total sense to me, and I can understand the policy of not editing claimed profiles – appreciate you taking the time to walk me through this!

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45422 comments Mod
Xeno wrote: "If the author was to state that it's not intended as a separate pseudonym (all of these books are sci-fi/fantasy), would it be possible to merge them?"

Not in a case like this, where neither name fully includes the other. But if the two names were John Public and John Q. Public, they could be merged into John Q. Public at the author's request.

message 5: by Xeno (new)

Xeno (xensyria) | 4 comments I see, thanks for bearing with me on this :)