Great American Read List discussion

Reading and Associated Themes > How Do You Organize Your Library?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 26, 2018 05:09PM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
The last time I organized my print library, which was around February, I sorted my books into sections. One has book series, in order, as well as collections by authors such as Ernest Hemingway and Stephen King. Another has stand-alone books arranged by author's last name. There's also a stack of references and a pile of theology and philosophy.
Next time, I think I'll separate the nonfiction as well.

Do you arrange your home library in a systematic way or do you place your books haphazardly? Please share!

message 2: by Parker (new)

Parker | 58 comments I majored in Library Science for my B.S. degree, so it's natural that my nonfiction books are arranged by the Dewey Decimal system. My fiction books are arranged by author's last name, just as it would be in a library.

message 3: by Andrew, moderator (new)

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
My print library is just a mess. Piles of books everywhere. I do generally manage to keep books from the same author or in the same series together, but I don't manage any more than that.

I'm gradually trying to give most of my old books away, usually to library book sales. I'd like to eventually get it down to just a few shelves of books that have sentimental value to me.

I keep track of donated books in Goodreads with a "donated" shelf. I did that so I wouldn't ever go digging for a book that I don't own anymore. And it's nice to be able to see at a glance how many books I've given away.

I generally try to stick with ebooks for new stuff, these days.

message 4: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Andrew wrote: "My print library is just a mess. Piles of books everywhere. I do generally manage to keep books from the same author or in the same series together, but I don't manage any more than that.

I'm grad..."

That sounds exactly how my home library looks after a fashion!
Before I sorted and organized it this last time, I had books stacked randomly on shelves and floors throughout my house. I wasn't certain if some book series were complete or if some books I'd read were those I owned or if I'd borrowed them from the library. Joining GoodReads inspired me to go through them all again.

Creating a donated shelf here on GR is a good idea, Andrew!

message 5: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2018 11:01AM) (new)

Loretta wrote: "Lavan wrote: "The last time I organized my print library, which was around February, I sorted my books into sections. One has book series, in order, as well as collections by authors such as Ernest..."

My theology and philosophy books are on the shelf of my nightstand in my bedroom, because it's not likely anyone will want to borrow those. All the rest are currently in my home office. We'll see how long before my library becomes jumbled again ...

Your second paragraph made me chuckle! A bibliophile in action! I have this "problem" when I visit tag sales that have books for sale. I have to look through them all and usually end up buying some.

message 6: by Parker (new)

Parker | 58 comments Husband and I have a running joke that we're going to have to have a house just for the books! I can never pass up books on sale😉 I have a running list of some of the series I collect and if a book's available, I'll grab it.

message 7: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 29, 2018 08:17PM) (new)

Parker wrote: "Husband and I have a running joke that we're going to have to have a house just for the books! I can never pass up books on sale😉 I have a running list of some of the series I collect and if a book..."

That's funny!
There's a mall in a city near my town that has a Barnes & Noble. I cannot walk by that bookstore without going inside. It's like a magnet; I have to walk around, peruse and inhale the new book smell!

That reminds me—I need to make a list of books that I'm looking for that aren't available as ebooks or new print. I like to keep one on-hand in case I stop at a used book store or tag sale.