What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Science Fiction, Virtual Reality, 2000-2005. A detective solves murders that are connected by a computer virus.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Its was an adult book, I read it around 2000-2005. It was about a computer virus that kills people in the real world. I remember it involved a detective trying to solve the crimes. It also had virtual reality.

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon I also remember it having mutiple character view points.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
A shot in the dark - Whole Wide World by Paul McAuley?

Brandon, what's the time period and location (country, region, big city/small town)?

What do the murder victims have in common? (Spoilers are okay - just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler.)

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 7 comments Might it be the Artificial Reality Division series by Pat Cadigan? The first of the the three books in the series, Tea from an Empty Cup, was published in 1999.

message 5: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Could it be Daemon? It's a bit new, published in 2006, but it sounds much like your book. It doesn't mention murders in the description, but there were some done by the computer.

message 6: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson?

message 7: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments any more details you can offer? Do you recall anything about the virtual world, how people were represented, etc? Any characters other than the main character that stand out for you? girlfriend, sidekick, bad guy?

message 8: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Artificial Reality Division series for Rachel's suggestion

Snow Crash for stormhawk's suggestion

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Watson | 150 comments Possibly J. D. Robb's Purity in Death? It's been some time since I read it, but I recall that it featured a computer virus that jumped from computers to people. Protagonist was a cop or detective named Eve Dallas, if that rings any bells.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40728 comments Mod
Brandon left the group. Moving to Abandoned.

message 11: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments Well, darn. Despite the sparse description, I was pretty sure it was Snow Crash.