Amazon exiles discussion

Music chat > Stick that in yer eye, BBC!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (last edited Jun 26, 2018 02:48AM) (new)

Tim Franklin | 9070 comments A poll on a betting site (yeah, I know!) has found that heavy metal is the public's favourite musical genre, with 20% of people giving it the nod. Whether that says more about gamblers than anything else, who can tell - some of those undoubtedly enjoy banging their heads against the metaphorical brick wall!

Maybe now Auntie Beeb will change their long-standing corporate attitude to metal, regarding it as something they'd rather not step in. I wouldn't bet on it though.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new-...

message 2: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments I reckon most people on here would be ‘other’!
I’d like to know some statistics:

Number of people polled

message 3: by Fishy_Jim (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 972 comments Since most people on betting sites are likely to be over 30, I think the result may be a little skewed ;-)

message 4: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments "Maybe now Auntie Beeb will change their long-standing corporate attitude to metal, regarding it as something they'd rather not step in"

hope not! I wouldn't much like to step in it either, tut tut, prehistorical skeletons with banjos, I don't know, must we fling this muck at our pop kids?

anyhoo, I thought world-wide polls had stated hip-hop was the most listened to genre!

message 5: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments I can't imagine that anything other than hip-hop would be the most listened-to form of music worldwide. Certainly not metal, which appeals to a very specific demographic in a very limited number of countries. This population probably does overlap extensively with the population of online gamblers in the UK.

message 6: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5792 comments Boolocks! No way is that accurate..and I say that metalhead (with a rather large nod to psyche!) I would've thought, that teenybop bands would be top of that list, for no other reason than their listeners would be more inclined to vote on these pointless polls!
That said, they're probably not at a legal age to be involved in gambling though, which is perhaps why the results are skewed in favour of metalheads then!

message 7: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments heavy metal was/is puzzling to me (apart from the fact that i don't much like to listen to it!) in that, without exception it was enjoyed by the educationally gifted individuals i have known! as i always thought it was lowest common denominator music (sorry metal warriors) without much scope for development, this made little sense - or mibbe it just reinforces how thick i am!

message 8: by Brass Neck (last edited Jun 27, 2018 04:08AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3897 comments Tech wrote: "heavy metal was/is puzzling to me (apart from the fact that i don't much like to listen to it!) in that, without exception it was enjoyed by the educationally gifted individuals i have known! as i ..."

In my experience metalheads are drawn form both extremes of the IQ scale; they're either genii (hey there folks) or knuckle-dragging window-lickers of the most primordial kind. The former are probably so nerdy and in sore need of vicarious tales of sex and physical might, the latter just want to bang out the last remaining grey cells to the primal beat? The only folks lower on the evolutionary scale are Cramps fans!

message 9: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments you know it! :)

at school the equation went,
clever - metal
sporty - 10cc/e.l.o., and other easy listening.
girls - the eagles and the rollers!?
thickos - no idea how to switch on the record player/not motivated in area of music.
the medians - the cramps i suppose!

message 10: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Tech wrote: "heavy metal was/is puzzling to me..."

I've found this, too, tech. Also, when I was at school the (male) classical music performers were all Motörhead fans.

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9070 comments Gordon wrote: "Tech wrote: "heavy metal was/is puzzling to me..."

I've found this, too, tech. Also, when I was at school the (male) classical music performers were all Motörhead fans."

I guess it makes sense; if you're some kind of brainiac, at times you'd just want to switch your mind off. What better way than some loud, mindless musical escapology.

message 12: by Blastronaut (last edited Jun 28, 2018 01:08PM) (new)

Blastronaut  | 1019 comments Absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of metal or hard rock but as usual I find meself in a tiny minority (of one?) around these - and before this, Amazon's - parts. Said genre/s make up only part of my listenings but still... I'd be a tad lost without some of my older albums. Not sure if there's owt new I'd be into mind, but truth be told, I've not really looked.

Never thought of meself as a knuckle-dragger but maybe I'm closer to that end than t'other. Always thought I'm around middle-ish when it comes to brains; an exception to the rule in this case, perhaps?

message 13: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3897 comments Blastronaut Mk2 wrote: "Absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of metal or hard rock but as usual I find meself in a tiny minority (of one?) around these - and before this, Amazon's - parts. Said genre/s make up only part of..."

I might have had my tongue in my cheek Blastro.

message 14: by Martin (last edited Jun 28, 2018 04:30PM) (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Better that than somebody else's Brass! Not really a genre I've ever paid more than scant attention to, some Judas Priest, Budgie in my yoof and recently Sabaton but it's all much of a muchness and after a few tracks or even a whole cd's worth I'm more than replete for a few months. It's okay for a weekend break but I wouldn't want to live there! Mind you my penchant is more on the mellow side these days, must be a sign of old age. Whatever floats your boat Blastro.

message 15: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5792 comments Tech wrote: "heavy metal was/is puzzling to me (apart from the fact that i don't much like to listen to it!) in that, without exception it was enjoyed by the educationally gifted individuals i have known! as i ..."

Surely, Rap is by far the lowest common denominator music, ever conceived...well..except for Grandmaster Flash's output..the rest is just pants! Not even music to my ears...just a load of fast paced respective rhyming nonsense, with madey uppy words thrown in for good measure! Ker-rap..it what I prefer to call it!

message 16: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5792 comments Brass Neck wrote: "Tech wrote: "heavy metal was/is puzzling to me (apart from the fact that i don't much like to listen to it!) in that, without exception it was enjoyed by the educationally gifted individuals i have..."

I don't see myself at either end of the extreme Mr B, not academically bright, but not neanderthalically retarded either! :)

message 17: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3897 comments theDuke wrote: "Brass Neck wrote: "Tech wrote: "heavy metal was/is puzzling to me (apart from the fact that i don't much like to listen to it!) in that, without exception it was enjoyed by the educationally gifted..."

Tongue cheek my in was my - rearrange to form a sentence.

message 18: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments jeebus h., brass, i'd no idea you were a 'rockist'! :)

gauny start a branch of 'rock against rockism'!

message 19: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5792 comments Brass Neck wrote: "theDuke wrote: "Brass Neck wrote: "Tech wrote: "heavy metal was/is puzzling to me (apart from the fact that i don't much like to listen to it!) in that, without exception it was enjoyed by the educ..."

My my....cheek was in tongue?! :)

message 20: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3897 comments theDuke wrote: "Brass Neck wrote: "theDuke wrote: "Brass Neck wrote: "Tech wrote: "heavy metal was/is puzzling to me (apart from the fact that i don't much like to listen to it!) in that, without exception it was ..."

Close enough Duke.

message 21: by Gordon (last edited Jun 29, 2018 09:45AM) (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments So, I wonder whether the point at which I stopped listening to heavy metal was the point at which my intelligence began to decline. I'm pretty confident it was the second Motörhead gig in 1981 that started the process by which my hearing became seriously dysfunctional in my mid-thirties.

message 22: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3897 comments I stood right at the back of a M'head gig; still too loud. Couldn't understand the need I witnessed in some idiots actually sticking their heads in the bass bins. I'm sure many folk think that sort of thing is apochryphal but it did go on.

Remember when the sides of stages groaned under towers of speakers, not like the skinny curved stacks hanging on wires high over the stage these days? Can't jump athletically off those ….. and live. I really hate it when a band thinks they're doing something 'cool' by overdriving the PA into massive clipping distortion - that's what gives you temporary deafness after a gig, especially if you're over 6' and your ears are above the crowd. Nearly half a century of frequent gig-going and no sign of tinnitus yet …… eh?

message 23: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments That was another great thing about the King Crimson concert - not only Mr Fripp’s banning of phones but the perfect sound levels and balance.

message 24: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments it was ridiculously loud the one time i saw motorhead (apollo), and when i discovered that headbanging was not just a jovial term attached to metallers. those that weren't cracking their nappers on the walls were playing the old air guitar, so i estimate that i was the only individual in the audience watching the band. also had to wait till choruses to get an idea what song they were playing! a pure rabble, which i quite enjoyed, but never felt the need to repeat the excercise!

message 25: by Brass Neck (last edited Jun 29, 2018 12:55PM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3897 comments 'never felt the need to repeat the exercise!' - I did and got tickets for their Nott'm Royal Theatre (a venue less suited to a band like M'head I cannot conceive) gig a couple of years ago (with Saxon as support so it was a total nostalgia fest thing) but then Lemmy's diabetes(?) ramped up - he'd heeded Dr's advice to quit the daily brace of bottles of Jack Daniels but, since they hadn't specifically warned him not to, had switched to multiple flagons of red vino - so it got postponed and then him being Killed By Death' saw a very definite cancellation of the tour. I haven't felt the need to see Saxon as headliners so mebbes I'm just toying wiv der metal.

message 26: by Spiritinblack (last edited Jun 29, 2018 01:55PM) (new)

Spiritinblack | 127 comments Blastronaut Mk2 wrote: "Absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of metal or hard rock but as usual I find meself in a tiny minority (of one?) around these - and before this, Amazon's - parts. Said genre/s make up only part of..."

You're not alone Blastro i'm a proud metalhead and intelligence wise i'd say above average especially after watching some of these quiz shows. I've even got a few 5 pointers on Only Connect.

Having said all this cannot just listen to metal ( he says listening to Priest)

message 27: by Blastronaut (new)

Blastronaut  | 1019 comments Brass Neck wrote: "Blastronaut Mk2 wrote: "Absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of metal or hard rock but as usual I find meself in a tiny minority (of one?) around these - and before this, Amazon's - parts. Said genr..."

I know that Brass, I too was trying for tongue/cheek but ended up with me head up me ass! : )

Really ashamed to say I never went to see Motorhead; love their earlier albums, up to and incl Orgasmatron, a bit hit n miss after that imo.

message 28: by Blastronaut (last edited Jun 30, 2018 05:17AM) (new)

Blastronaut  | 1019 comments Spiritinblack wrote: "Blastronaut Mk2 wrote: "Absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of metal or hard rock but as usual I find meself in a tiny minority (of one?) around these - and before this, Amazon's - parts. Said genr..."<

Don't mind a bit of Priest, me. Probably a hanging offence to say it but I prefer their live cover of Diamonds And Rust (the studio version does nowt for me) from Unleashed In The East, to JB's original. Our daughter and her fella are going to err... something-fest... Bloodfest (I think) soon to see Priest.
Yep, do also agree that one doesn't have to go at metal or hard rock all the time. I was a confused kid - going from 'Mod' to 'Rocker' on what seemed like a monthly basis. Took quite a while for the penny to drop and to realize I can listen to both. The dress don't really go over too well tho - motorbike leather jacket with a pair of Loafers? Can't see that working out. : )

message 29: by Blastronaut (last edited Jun 30, 2018 05:12AM) (new)

Blastronaut  | 1019 comments Can someone tell me where we draw the line between metal and hard rock? Which bands go under what title. Or are they exactly the same thing?
I realize that this's a tad subjective but...

When i think 'metal' I think Priest, Maiden, Metallica etc, but where do outfits like ACDC or Motorhead fit? Hard rock? Metal? If ya asked Lemmy, he'd have just said he was playing rock n roll...

message 30: by Martin (last edited Jun 30, 2018 07:11AM) (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments I would have to agree with Lemmy there Blastro, all those labels are for the anally retentive, hair splitting brigade and I bet most of them would be hard pushed to come up with a hard and fast definition that precisely fits what actually constitutes which is which. The best music for me is that which blurs the lines and mixes the pallet a bit to produce something a little different. I would hate to be one of those people who only listen to one type of music whilst remaining deaf to anything alternate. Imagine a world with AC/DC and no Little Feat or Steely Dan with no Aerosmith, Hawkwind without JJ Cale, not one I would care to inhabit.

message 31: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Martin wrote: "I would have to agree with Lemmy there Blastro, all those labels are for the anally retentive, hair splitting brigade and I bet most of them would be hard pushed to come up with a hard and fast def..."

I live quite happily without any of them!

message 32: by Martin (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:00AM) (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Ooooh! There's always room for some King Crimson Lez! (edit)

message 33: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Certainly is. 😀
I do actually have a Hawkwind album but only like a couple of tracks and haven’t played it for yonks.

message 34: by Martin (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Yep, In Search Of Space doesn't have the same frisson when you're straight! Or Mr Fripp for that matter, I only have one KC album, Islands, which I feel much the same way about but don't hold it against me Lez, one lifetime is not enough to hear all the music there is.

message 35: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments The thing with statistics is they are so malleable they can 'prove' anything you want...... er, statistically speaking that is!

message 36: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Martin wrote: "Yep, In Search Of Space doesn't have the same frisson when you're straight! Or Mr Fripp for that matter, I only have one KC album, Islands, which I feel much the same way about but don't hold it ag..."

Well, as I might have mentioned occasionally, the KC show was probably the best thing I’ve been to in my life. However I’ve only got 3 albums which I don’t often play, as they simply don’t get anywhere near the live performance.
Incidentally, how are KC ‘officially’ defined?

message 37: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments "how are KC ‘officially’ defined?"

you set 'em up, les, i'll knock 'em outta the park! :)

message 38: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Sigh

message 39: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9070 comments Lez wrote: "Martin wrote: "Yep, In Search Of Space doesn't have the same frisson when you're straight! Or Mr Fripp for that matter, I only have one KC album, Islands, which I feel much the same way about but d..."

Genre? Prog

message 40: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Thanks!

message 41: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments language!! please tim, keep it clean!

message 42: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3897 comments Lez wrote: "Martin wrote: "Yep, In Search Of Space doesn't have the same frisson when you're straight! Or Mr Fripp for that matter, I only have one KC album, Islands, which I feel much the same way about but d..."

Fretw@nkery?

message 43: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments ..... with no strings attached!

message 44: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3897 comments Martin wrote: "..... with no strings attached!"

That'd be plankspankeration

message 45: by Blastronaut (new)

Blastronaut  | 1019 comments Brass Neck wrote: "Martin wrote: "..... with no strings attached!"

That'd be plankspankeration"

Or stroking the wood?

message 46: by Blastronaut (new)

Blastronaut  | 1019 comments Just to correct a mistake in my post t'other day, the festival that Priest are headlining is in fact called 'Bloodstock' rather than 'Bloodfest' - ha ha Bloodfest indeed! Ya can see where I went wrong tho, the metal crowd like their 'Fests' and such.
The fact that nobody's corrected me since Saturday informs me of the interest around these parts in such things. Like I needed informing!? : )

message 47: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Blastronaut Mk2 wrote: "Brass Neck wrote: "Martin wrote: "..... with no strings attached!"

Or stroking the wood?"

Love is a many splintered thing!

message 48: by Spiritinblack (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:46PM) (new)

Spiritinblack | 127 comments Blastronaut Mk2 wrote: "Just to correct a mistake in my post t'other day, the festival that Priest are headlining is in fact called 'Bloodstock' rather than 'Bloodfest' - ha ha Bloodfest indeed! Ya can see where I went wr..."

I would have corrected you but not been on until now. Mind you do like the sound of a bloodfest.

message 49: by suzysunshine7 (last edited Jul 03, 2018 03:12AM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments I am also very partial to a bit of Soft Metal and I have several CDs dedicated to this genre in my own very small Music Collection ;o>

EDIT : I don't Head Bang though - as my Hair isn't long enough to create the full dramatic effect and it only gives me Migraines! - LOL!

message 50: by Blastronaut (new)

Blastronaut  | 1019 comments Martin wrote: "Blastronaut Mk2 wrote: "Brass Neck wrote: "Martin wrote: "..... with no strings attached!"

Or stroking the wood?"

Love is a many splintered thing!"

Ouch!! : )